UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jonathan Brookins off MMA, on Yoga in India

12/20/12 10:54 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jonathan Brookins won TUF in 2010, but has gone 1-4 in the UFC, sold his house, and plans to go study Yoga in India. Whether he comes back a better fighter, or something different entirely, is up in the air.

Josh Rosenblatt: Were you in the Octagon (vs. Dustin Poirrier at the TUF 16 Finale) thinking about India?

Jonathan Brookins: I think I was. I think I was ready to go to India and learn something else. Pursuing this sport with the mindset that I have is counterproductive. It didn’t make sense. Mindset is everything. If this is what I’m going to do with the rest of my life it can’t just be a circular argument. It can’t just be about nothing. This quest to be a fighter has gotten to be frivolous, to be the wrong pursuit. I know it can be pursued the right way, but I know I'm not anywhere close to it. I’m not really down to live this temporary, right-now way of life.

JR: What are you looking for?

JB: I’m looking for a mindset to exist better. I think that I can find a happiness about myself, a way of living, where my constitution is more sound. I think that martial arts has been a positive, but it hasn’t been as much as it could be. I want to find martial arts for real. Yoga just seems to me like one of the oldest forms of martial arts. It seems like the very beginning. When the Shaolin monks wanted to learn to fight, there was a yoga teacher who taught the monks how to exercise and how to defend themselves – how to properly prepare themselves, prepare their bodies, prepare their minds. So starting with yoga just seems so natural to me.

I want to say something with my fighting. I want to find the truth. We have the potential for greater consciousness. I want to abstain from this world and tap into the human soul and see what it’s like to live.

JR: Ideally, will India help you get back to fighting or are you open to the idea of not fighting again, if that’s where your mind goes?

JB: Yeah, I’m open to that, that’s for sure.  All the things I didn’t learn in fighting to better myself I feel like I can explore in this avenue. If it means extra effort or extra solitude, I’m going to pursue this harder than I even pursued fighting. I feel like it could make me a much better fighter, but if it leads me to not fight again, I think I would be okay with that.

Read entire interview...

12/20/12 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck to him

12/20/12 11:03 PM
JerseyShoreTapTeam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like an awesome human being. Poirier's one of my favorite fighters and I always pull for him, but damn it was hard pulling against Brookins this weekend. Best of luck to him!
12/20/12 11:09 PM
KZTT_W85
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck Phone Post
12/20/12 11:18 PM
KZTT_MMAfan55
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting Phone Post
12/20/12 11:23 PM
Mulletron5000
1430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He seems like a true martial artist. Best of luck to him! Phone Post
12/20/12 11:25 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/20/12 11:30 PM
Kirik
2024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

I wish him luck and hope he comes completely motivated, wherever his passion leads him.

12/20/12 11:32 PM
wazzu19
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A strong mind can conquer. Phone Post
12/20/12 11:46 PM
sage77

Underground Blog -

Jonathan Brookins off MMA, on Yoga in India

Jonathan Brookins won TUF in 2010, but has gone 1-4 in the UFC, sold his house, and plans to go study Yoga in India. Whether he comes back a better fighter, or something different entirely, is up in the air.

Josh Rosenblatt: Were you in the Octagon (vs. Dustin Poirrier at the TUF 16 Finale) thinking about India?

Jonathan Brookins: I think I was. I think I was ready to go to India and learn something else. Pursuing this sport with the mindset that I have is counterproductive. It didn’t make sense. Mindset is everything. If this is what I’m going to do with the rest of my life it can’t just be a circular argument. It can’t just be about nothing. This quest to be a fighter has gotten to be frivolous, to be the wrong pursuit. I know it can be pursued the right way, but I know I'm not anywhere close to it. I’m not really down to live this temporary, right-now way of life.

JB: I’m looking for a mindset to exist better. I think that I can find a happiness about myself, a way of living, where my constitution is more sound. I think that martial arts has been a positive, but it hasn’t been as much as it could be. I want to find martial arts for real. Yoga just seems to me like one of the oldest forms of martial arts. It seems like the very beginning. When the Shaolin monks wanted to learn to fight, there was a yoga teacher who taught the monks how to exercise and how to defend themselves – how to properly prepare themselves, prepare their bodies, prepare their minds. So starting with yoga just seems so natural to me.

I want to say something with my fighting. I want to find the truth. We have the potential for greater consciousness. I want to abstain from this world and tap into the human soul and see what it’s like to live.

JR: Ideally, will India help you get back to fighting or are you open to the idea of not fighting again, if that’s where your mind goes?

JB: Yeah, I’m open to that, that’s for sure.  All the things I didn’t learn in fighting to better myself I feel like I can explore in this avenue. If it means extra effort or extra solitude, I’m going to pursue this harder than I even pursued fighting. I feel like it could make me a much better fighter, but if it leads me to not fight again, I think I would be okay with that.

Read entire interview...

Did he refer to yoga as a "martial art?" Phone Post
12/20/12 11:52 PM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yoga= good

Learning to move your head and feet= better
12/20/12 11:56 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
12/21/12 12:00 AM
Humboldt
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JB is the man. The best to him on his journey. May he find the peace he is looking for. Phone Post
12/21/12 12:26 AM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my all time favorite TUF personalities. I'll always be pulling for him. Phone Post
12/21/12 12:35 AM
TuLegit

Good for him. He'll learn much if nothing else. Phone Post
12/21/12 12:41 AM
Fedoral Crime
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sage77 -
Underground Blog -

Jonathan Brookins off MMA, on Yoga in India

Read entire interview...

Did he refer to yoga as a "martial art?" Phone Post
India invented the first ever martial art. I can't remember the name of it but I definitely remember reading that it started there.

Dhalsim out of Street Fighter is proof of how effective Yoga is as a martial art.

Good luck Brook Phone Post
12/21/12 1:40 AM
DanteHec
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wish i had the cash to drop everythimg and live and do whatever i want lol Phone Post
12/21/12 1:47 AM
sockeye
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/21/12 2:02 AM
yellow wrkahlc

1-4? He's actually 2-3 in the UFC, with his losses coming to top contenders. Phone Post
12/21/12 2:07 AM
Chicago Bum
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Takes balls to pack up and go on a journey like that. Good for him Phone Post
12/21/12 2:20 AM
Tylervic
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has fought a lot of top talent his 3 losses are to Eric Koch , Dustin and Charles olivera. All 3 of them could be a champ one day. He also lasted 3 rounds with also. Dude is talented. Phone Post
12/21/12 3:38 AM
Smellde Gluve
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye -  One of my all time favorite TUF personalities. I'll always be pulling for him. Phone Post

Yeah mine too. It frustrated me to see him keep his chin so high against Dustin.

I've gone down the same road and it's the best thing a person can do for themselves to find happiness imo.

Good luck Jonathan.
12/21/12 6:14 AM
Karl Olsson
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What an honest interview, none of the bullshit macho guy lingo, He tells it like it is.
I have been a fan of JB since TUF, wish more people had his mindset, best of luck to whatever path in life you choose JB!
BoOom Shankar!
12/21/12 7:20 AM
sillyscreenname

I hope he knows exactly where in India he wants to go, otherwise he might just end up being confronted with a lot of very extreme poverty but maybe that shock is what he needs to find his inner happiness - The realization that his life so far has been blessed and pretty much a cakewalk.

Everybody has problems in life but there are different stages of settings you can have problems in and if they are on the level of day to day finding enough food to survive while washing yourself in a huge river with rotting corpses in it, I don't think it gets much worse than that.

I know hippie types that went to India on a "spiritual journey" who came back terrified but with a new found love for western civilization and its perks.

Anyway, good luck to him, I hope he finds whatever he thinks he needs to find.
12/21/12 7:41 AM
Evil Intentions
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is a cool cat, met him a few times while he lived/trained in Orlando before and after the show.

Best of luck to him. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.