UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: I can out-coach Jones

12/20/12 11:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"Look, I can out-coach [Jones], and that's not a sleight at him," Sonnen said. "Coaching is a skill. You're not born to coach, and I feel like he was kind of born to fight. I feel like, man, that guy can just do this sport. He just knows how to play. He just knows what to do. Coaching, nobody is born into. It's a developed skill. I've been at it 11 years."

Whether or not Sonnen and Jones can help provide the spark UFC officials surely hope fuels a rebound year for "The Ultimate Fighter" remains to be seen. But Sonnen said his experience on the show was a great one. Now, it's on to his preparation for an April bid at Jones' title. Of course, he's not quite ready to talk about that just yet.

"I've watched every season (of 'TUF'), but from my living room, I didn't get it," Sonnen admitted. "It looks like these guys are having fun. That's how this edited. They get in there, they fight a little bit. There's so much more to it, and there's so much more on the line. The way something gets televised when you only have an hour is the way it gets televised, but when you're looking from our perspective, and you see the risk that's being taken for the reward that is potentially there, it changes you.

"In 2013, look, I've got one big event on my mind: the biggest fight in UFC history, Sonnen vs. Jones in New Jersey. You're going to hear all about it, but you're not going to hear about it right now. 'The Ultimate Fighter' is coming to FX on a brand new night starting in January. That's all you need to know."

read entire article...

12/21/12 12:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here we go.... Phone Post
12/21/12 12:13 AM
WestCoastMXC

Dude is one of the greatest promoters in MMA history he did well for himself. Phone Post
12/21/12 1:57 AM
88samurai88
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Simple question guys/gals what day is the "new" TUF of on? Thanks Phone Post
12/21/12 1:58 AM
TehMadGreek
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WiqedWhite - Can he out strike or out grapple him? Phone Post
I believe we are talking about coaching! Phone Post
12/21/12 2:01 AM
Arecsa
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd agree with that for sure. Chael has lots of experience coaching, and I don't think Jones has any. Chael is undoubtedly a better coach, Jones is going to beat him up in their fight though.
12/21/12 2:16 AM
TuLegit

Ahh I missed Chaels talk Phone Post
12/21/12 2:19 AM
ABE FROMAN

This isn't even debatable. Jon is a born-fighter, he hasn't had the coaching experience yet. It's still early for him.

12/21/12 4:10 AM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN -

This isn't even debatable. Jon is a born-fighter, he hasn't had the coaching experience yet. It's still early for him.

Well yeah but he'll have Jackson an winklejohn pulling the reins for him no? Phone Post
12/21/12 4:37 AM
Vote me down

wake me up when it's over. Just wanna see how fucked up Sonnen's face is after the fight.

12/21/12 5:04 AM
FatBuddha
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Virus x - Sonnen hopefully can go 2-0 against Jones, he is already 1-0

?
12/21/12 5:12 AM
Skeletor
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TehMadGreek - 

But its...its easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about coaching. We're sitting in here, and JBJ's supposed to be the franchise fighter, and we in here talking about coaching. I mean, listen, we're talking about coaching, not a fight, not a fight, not a fight, we talking about coaching. Not a fight. Not, not ... Not the fight that I go out there and die for and play every fight like it's my last. Not the fight, but we're talking about coaching, man. I mean, how silly is that?
12/21/12 5:38 AM
LBH_RN
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ya Mon -  Lol at the biggest fight in UFC history. Phone Post

haha no shit! how many fights have been labeled this in 2012 alone?
12/21/12 6:07 AM
6ULDV8

I cannot wait to start watching this one.  I've been done with TUF for a while now, but won't miss an episode.

Starts January 22nd and the new night is Tuesday.

12/21/12 10:30 AM
JetSetter

That's nice that you can out coach him Chael because you sure cant out fight him. Phone Post
12/21/12 10:40 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings

I actually agree with Sonnen on coaching vs fighting, someone with his experience should be able to "out-coach" Jones.

12/21/12 10:41 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

burner22 -
ABE FROMAN -

Well yeah but he'll have Jackson an winklejohn pulling the reins for him no? Phone Post
Yeah he should, but I don't really think the coaches influence who wins that much on tuf. They aren't going to totally change these guys in the time before they fight. They can either already fight or they can't Phone Post
12/21/12 10:45 AM
gooddoc

Skeletor - 
TehMadGreek - 

But its...its easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about coaching. We're sitting in here, and JBJ's supposed to be the franchise fighter, and we in here talking about coaching. I mean, listen, we're talking about coaching, not a fight, not a fight, not a fight, we talking about coaching. Not a fight. Not, not ... Not the fight that I go out there and die for and play every fight like it's my last. Not the fight, but we're talking about coaching, man. I mean, how silly is that?

I've never seen someone stutter in text before.
12/21/12 11:17 AM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gooddoc -
Skeletor - 
TehMadGreek - 

You clearly have no idea where this quote comes from... Phone Post
12/21/12 12:05 PM
SQUEEZIE

Edited: 12/21/12 12:06 PM
<blockquote>Virus x - <blockquote>FatBuddha - <blockquote>Virus x - Sonnen hopefully can go 2-0 against Jones, he is already 1-0</blockquote><br />?</blockquote><br /> First Fight he won by forfeit. Now he has a chance to go 2-0 vs Jones</blockquote><br /> lol,dam you're we todd did!
12/21/12 12:11 PM
gooddoc

mchase126 - 
gooddoc -
Skeletor - 
TehMadGreek - 

enlighten me
12/21/12 12:12 PM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This show is not about coaching, fighting or anything other than promotion.
12/21/12 1:11 PM
TehMadGreek

Skeletor -
TehMadGreek - 

I kind of love you.. Best friends? Phone Post
12/21/12 1:18 PM
XcessiveZ

gooddoc -
mchase126 - 
gooddoc -
Skeletor - 
TehMadGreek - 

enlighten me
I think it's an Allen Iverson quote on practice. Phone Post
12/21/12 1:28 PM
gooddoc

I don't think anyone here can argue that Chael doesn't have more coaching experience.

JBJ has more raw talent and athleticism, and you can't really impart those attributes through coaching.

Assuming that the teams had an equal amount of talent, and coaching makes the difference, then Team Sonnen will win the majority of the fights.

That being said, maybe JBJ will have better insight into choosing the more talented fighters. Who knows...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.