UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Knee/Elbow pads for sparring

12/22/12 12:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mikerobmma
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any recommendations for good knee/elbow pads? I want to start throwing more knees and elbows during sparring, but I want something that pads them well so I don't destroy my sparring partners.

12/22/12 6:16 AM
FistofLegends
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is actually an interesting one. I think the problem has always been that manufacturers could never really get the protective paddings to stick to the actual boney bit of the elbow and knees themselves.

Let me do some research and get back to you, interested in myself anyway.
12/22/12 1:08 PM
mikerobmma
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thx bro Phone Post
12/24/12 12:19 PM
mikerobmma

TTT for some damn answers!!! Phone Post
2/9/13 10:27 AM
mikerobmma

Boo on the lack of response. Phone Post
2/11/13 6:38 AM
victorchensky
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fairtex makes great elbow pads with velcro straps that help secure them a lot better than normal ones do. this allows a guy to elbow during standup AND on the ground to not quite, 100% but much closer than normally able. as for the kneepad dillemma, i suggest going with a thin knee sleeve for extra support, and then going over that with an actual kneepad with foam in it. this causes the foam kneepad to really have something to grip onto even when you get sweaty so that it stays put more than it would normally. this really helps during standup sparring but as for full on mma sparring it just still isnt enough to stay put with all the transitions.
2/11/13 6:41 AM
victorchensky
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

also man obviously dont throw full power knees even with all the protection in the world on, i got smashed by a knee a while back by a dick sparring partner w kneepads on and i still almost lost my teeth with my super thick mouthguard. i was also wearing headgear with full face protection
2/11/13 6:07 PM
mikerobmma

Much appreciated brotha. Phone Post
2/12/13 1:53 AM
victorchensky

also you can use tape, preferrably the half inch tape or tear the one inch in half and tape the elbowpad and kneepads down. this really helps with the shitty elbowpads that are just sleaves and move around way too much. the fact is, if you want to throw hard knees and elbows without killing each other you need to wears pads with good foam and headgear. best headgear hands down is made by winning, itll cost 250 but its worth every dollar. stays on tight, good circulation, and the best protection hands down. you will be shocked at first after getting hit clean and moving to adjust the headgear and then realizing it is still spot on tight and never moved at all.
2/12/13 7:53 AM
Dean Demuro
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good posts! Phone Post
2/18/13 11:12 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Windy elbow pads work very well. A band of athletic tape around the upper arm for added security and they work perfectly.

5/11/13 4:12 AM
ashleynikolewmma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Venum actually recently just put their own knee pads on the market. I had injured my knee cap and bought one of these, and I was actually able to do jits with minimal pain. I know you're talking in concern of throwing knees, so it might work too. Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 9:40 PM
Jiu Jitsu Panda
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when doing only stand up with knees, i've used just a neoprene knee brace to hold a volley ball knee pad in place. lots of padding. works pretty good.
12/11/13 4:32 PM
glock4life
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ring to cage makes some cheap elbow pads that seem to stay in place unless there's a lot of clinch fighting. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.