UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> How to throw a right straight

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/22/12 8:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been training with a new boxing trainer and I've always pivoted on my rear foot when throwing a cross. He argues that you should only pivot when you've already got them hurt and most straight rights should be thrown with only a bit of hip movement?
12/22/12 11:45 AM
jw234
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The pivot is one of many factors in play with the straight. Sometimes it's great to dig into the pivot, sometimes not. I suggest spending more time finding how to set it up or sneak it in during sparring/fighting. I personally wasted too many good years fretting over perfecting the "right" technique only to find out that the game is something else entirely. Phone Post
12/26/12 12:16 PM
e. kaye

Pivot?   You do not need to pivot on any punch.

1/4/13 11:22 AM
e. kaye

WiqedWhite - 
e. kaye -

Pivot?   You do not need to pivot on any punch.

Stfu your they guy who doesnt believe in "combos" so stfu your dumb Phone Post

That would be incorrect.

I have several BBs and have studying MA for 26 years.

The last 17 specifically on a bare knuckle boxing based system.

You obvioulsy cannot read.   That is NOT what I said about combos.  

And the correct word is you're  as in "you are".    Dumbass says what?

1/5/13 12:17 AM
e. kaye

Dude,  you are embarrassing yourself.

1/5/13 12:50 PM
HULC
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

banco - I've been training with a new boxing trainer and I've always pivoted on my rear foot when throwing a cross. He argues that you should only pivot when you've already got them hurt and most straight rights should be thrown with only a bit of hip movement?

If you don't pivot you'll lose power and reach, but you'll be less exposed if you miss. Does your trainer also advocate a very side-on approach and a safety first style?
1/6/13 12:46 AM
Arzn1ck
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally, I'd say pivoting gives you the most power out of the punch and if you don't believe it's going to land don't throw it, that's what a jab is for but, there is something to be said for making a guy comfortable and lulling him into a huge shot. James Toney was really good at tricking guys into thinking the right straight wasn't a real threat and then bam lights out. Phone Post
1/13/13 3:26 AM
HEMAN
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pivoting will give u more power. Hit a bag without pivoting. Then hit a bag with pivoting.
1/13/13 12:13 PM
e. kaye

I would beg to differ.   DIfferent mechanics.

I never said that you could not pivot, just that you do not need to.

1/15/13 2:15 PM
TheHaunted2

He's right, the pivot is good for throwing big power, and a hurt opponent for example. But if he aint hurt then an easy left hook counter can be thrown? And an easy knock down for ypur opponent Phone Post
1/15/13 2:16 PM
TheHaunted2

TheHaunted2 - He's right, the pivot is good for throwing big power, and a hurt opponent for example. But if he aint hurt then an easy left hook counter can be thrown? And an easy knock down for ypur opponent Phone Post
^ on a hurt opponent Phone Post
2/5/13 12:09 PM
HULC
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHaunted2 -  He's right, the pivot is good for throwing big power, and a hurt opponent for example. But if he aint hurt then an easy left hook counter can be thrown? And an easy knock down for ypur opponent Phone Post

You think you can land a left hook quicker than someone throwing a straight right based on whether they pivot or not?
2/5/13 3:15 PM
TheHaunted2

HULC -
TheHaunted2 -  He's right, the pivot is good for throwing big power, and a hurt opponent for example. But if he aint hurt then an easy left hook counter can be thrown? And an easy knock down for ypur opponent Phone Post

You think you can land a left hook quicker than someone throwing a straight right based on whether they pivot or not?
If you pivot you tend to over extend, and it causes you to lean. Which means a simple step to the side will result in an easy left hook to the top of the head. Trust me, had it done to me loads. Seen it a lot in boxing too Phone Post
2/5/13 5:29 PM
HULC

TheHaunted2 - 
HULC -

If you pivot you tend to over extend, and it causes you to lean. Which means a simple step to the side will result in an easy left hook to the top of the head. Trust me, had it done to me loads. Seen it a lot in boxing too Phone Post

Just no.

I've boxed myself and seen a lot of boxing too, and it just doesn't work like that. Got any video clips to show what you mean?
2/5/13 5:33 PM
TheHaunted2

HULC -
TheHaunted2 - 
HULC -

Just no.

I've boxed myself and seen a lot of boxing too, and it just doesn't work like that. Got any video clips to show what you mean?
I cant be arsed, but you find ones proving me wrong and i'll gladly say you were right. Im open to debate Phone Post
2/6/13 9:30 PM
Chappie
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/06/13 11:44 PM

I have been around boxing for the bulk of my life and I have never heard any reputable trainer advocate that you should not pivot when throwing a right hand. As pointed out above, by not pivoting, you are voluntarily giving up both reach and power.

2/7/13 12:26 AM
e. kaye

Chappie - 
I have been around boxing for the bulk of my life and I have never heard any reputable trainer advocate that you should not pivot when throwing a right hand. As pointed out above, by not pivoting, you are voluntarily giving up both reach and power.

There is pivoting your feet and there is pivoting your body.     One pins you down for a moment, the other does not.

2/7/13 6:04 PM
pharochuck
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Chappie - 

this was my understanding as well

2/7/13 10:41 PM
HULC

TheHaunted2 - 
HULC -
TheHaunted2 - 
HULC -

Just no.

I cant be arsed, but you find ones proving me wrong and i'll gladly say you were right. Im open to debate Phone Post

You made the claim, it's down to you to back it up.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.