UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Tips on perfecting the hip escape?

12/22/12 3:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMApostle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need some tips on hip escaping. When ever I try set up anything from the bottom I get stuck trying to hip escape before I can set anything up. It feels like I am glued to the ground when I try pushing off with my feet. I feel I am getting stuck with an open guard because of this and get passed before I can get back in to closed guard. I practice hip escapes from one side of the gym to the other multiple times before class and I seem to do well then, however as soon as I try use it when rolling I just flop. Please help =(
12/22/12 6:00 PM
rumble_fish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/22/12 6:01 PM
are you bumping to create space before trying to hip escape?

and when you bump, it has to be an explosive motion. you can't do it half assed.
12/22/12 6:21 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Timing is very important too. Work on shrimping out at the right time. Also use your shin across your opponent's waist line to prevent a pass.
12/22/12 7:23 PM
vegard
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you gotta frame right and also learn to do the sidewinder, not just standard shrimp. the way the shrimp is taught is more of a drill than an exact method to retain guard or escape side control, mount during sparring.
12/22/12 9:25 PM
MMApostle

Can you explain bumping? Also, what is the sidewinder?. I seem to do it at the right time, I just feel glued when I do it. For instance, when I am trying to go for an armbar from full guard, I will push off with one foot on the hip while I have one of his/hers arms gripped across my body. I can get my leg over his/her head, but I am never sideways enough if that makes sense.
12/22/12 9:42 PM
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtf is the hip escape?

12/22/12 9:47 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just get used to the new range of motion that Jiu Jitsu introduces. While you are watching TV or something just ball up like a rolly Polly and roll all around. Practice going from turtle to your back just by hipping out. Once it is ingrained in your subconscious that in Jiu jitsu you are never really flat on your back ever it will just come naturally without having to think about it. The drill is just to show you the mechinacs of the concept of the body movement. The goal is to eventually adopt the movement philosophy without taking the time to think about the individual steps. Phone Post
12/22/12 9:57 PM
pray for japan

12 -

wtf is the hip escape?

snakey snakey Phone Post
12/23/12 3:49 AM
pcuzz

12 - 

wtf is the hip escape?

Shrimping
12/23/12 5:43 AM
Zero1
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is your body on the mat or up? If it´s up you will create too much tension and your body isn´t free to move anymore.

Try to release tension in the neck and your movement will improve.....
12/30/12 9:53 PM
Wahlau
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're stuck, you're not turning to your side enough

You need to be on your side, meaning at most only the tip of your shoulder and your feet touching the ground.

If your back, or worse your backside, are still touching the ground, you won't be going anywhere
12/30/12 10:15 PM
PrisonMattressPuncher

I  think knowing WHEN to use it is more important for you. from the full mount:

1) When their knees are squuezed together, you bridge, not hip escape

2) When their knees are relaxed and not squeezing, use the hip escape.

3)  When their weight is forward on their hands, use hip escape

For side mount:

1) BRidge your his in the air first then move hips away in air before inserting shin.

2) If they are under your neck with pressure, and you cannot relieve it, don't hip escape unless you can counter it.

3) When both of his arms are on your far side, then use hip escape.

Start on your side as best as you can.

12/30/12 11:16 PM
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

elbow or dbl fist at the belt?

12/31/12 12:40 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sometimes it takes more than one bridge...i find that you need multiple bumps sometimes before you can hip escape. It's not as clean as 1 bridge 1 hip escape like shown on instructionals especially if you're under the sidemount of bigger stronger guys.
12/31/12 5:05 PM
shark tank
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

make sure the leg that is coming through is completely flat (no bend at the knee and can even be knee down to the mat). sometimes minimal space is created with the bump but the shrimp can still be successful if you pull the leg through straight. if it's bent, it will get hung up.
1/1/13 1:44 PM
ceoJUSTGIPANTSdotCOM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drill the hip escape a shit ton and,magically,you will perfect it

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.