UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Koryu in MMA

12/23/12 4:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
trainhardtwoin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering if anyone has been able to incorporate training in a Koryu with their MMA career. Obviously you would have to take what you have learned in a Koryu and adjust it for the cage/ring.
But if you have successfully done this... Let us also know what Koryu you are from.
12/28/12 2:13 AM
shen
890 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/13 12:19 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess no one has.

There really is very little authentic Koryu Bujutsu in the West and the amount of modification one would have to undertake to make it "ring worthy" would be vast -- sort of like getting a Model T ready for drifting competition. You could do it, but would have to fundamentally change the art to make it happen.
12/29/12 12:49 PM
trainhardtwoin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not so much as you think. The issue is that the concern with Ryuha is to maintain the passage of the RyuHa. But if you are constantly training it for a live situation. You can make it work in full contact. Without changing much at all. Keep in mind that all Jujutsu has dribbled down from Koryu. Even Judo which is from 3 Koryu itself. You are just using that creators interpretation of those Koryu. You can do the same... Just have to change the way you practice. I learned from a Tradition based art myself that branched from a Koryu. I had success using it in MMA, Judo, and BJJ tourny's. I just had to visit some BJJ, Judo, and MMA gyms to mold it for their sports. Now i plan to train in a Koryu now that I recently moved and found some holders of a lineage here. :) It's really fun and its different. Which makes it so interesting to me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.