UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> "Minimum viable product" for BJJ

12/24/12 9:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/24/12 9:49 AM

So I kind of want to throw up on my own face for using the term "minimum viable product", but I'm curious to know what you think are the minimum technical requirements for grokking BJJ? To define it better, let's say it this way; what are the bare minimum of things you need to be aware of to not shame your ancestors when rolling with an average (e.g., not Rafa, Marcelo, or Roger) black belt of your gender and size?

I'm not thinking of techniques, mostly because there are so many and everybody's game is different. I'm thinking more about concepts. For example (and just for example): dominant grips; being able to misdirect without being obvious about it; sensing your opponent's movement without watching it; knowing what good posture is from every position; persistence; etc.

BTW, having a solid lug nut goes without saying.
12/24/12 10:03 AM
ChokeTheFace
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ability to automatically convert the phonetics of the letter r. Phone Post
12/26/12 2:14 PM
shen
664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is you one a them fancy college girls or somethin'? You sound awful book learned.

We just do our grapples an don't figure on it much past that, I guess.

I suppose you'd need a pair a wraslin' pajamas, maybe some paddin' (we use hay)... Can't figure on much else, really.

12/26/12 3:39 PM
brixx139
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having a solid lugnut is all that matters these days. Phone Post
12/26/12 10:42 PM
Jayhof
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still back "grokking BJJ"....
1/11/13 7:17 PM
JacT
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I am a Black Belt. I would expect different things from each belt.

Blue, I would like them to be over the Go Spastic and Force Everything stage. I would like them to be familiar with, but not fully versed in each BASIC position. Mount (top and bottom) Cross Side (top and bottom) and Guard (top and bottom)

From each of those positions I would ezpect a general sense of movement, posture, a couple attacks and defenses. Just an over all well roundedness.

I would expect them to have a general understanding of not using strength, DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE.

JacT
1/12/13 11:15 AM
FreestyleJJ
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passing the guard, being able to use guard. Essence of positional control and what really defines everyone's BJJ. In a close match that's where the battle comes down to. Positional control. Position, imobilize, technique.

Love the Heinlein reference btw, lol. Phone Post
1/12/13 6:48 PM
John Clarke
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/12/13 7:00 PM
I tell all my guys that they need to understand posture, grips, spacing and angles of attack (and therefore defense).

If you understand those ideas and what they mean in a BJJ context the details are easier to add.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.