UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lombard: Palhares using foot as an excuse

12/24/12 11:28 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): You put out a message a couple days ago asking for interviews ASAP. Was there a specific reason you wanted to talk to the media, like something you wanted to get off your chest?

Hector Lombard: I didn't want to say anything but "Toquinho" has been saying he fought with a broken foot and I just wanted to tell him that he broke his foot in the fight, and that doesn't count. If he went into the fight with a broken foot, that's another thing, but he went to the fight healthy and he broke his foot in the fight and that doesn't count. Sort of like if you get KO'd in a fight, that doesn't count. Now if you go to the fight with a concussion, it counts, but if you get KO'd in the fight, it doesn't count.

He went to the fight healthy and was kicking me and I checked all his kicks with my knee and he broke his foot. That's why I wanted everybody to reach out to me because he didn't enter the fight with a broken foot. He got injured during the fight.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): This isn't the first time Palhares has had excuses for his losses either. He claimed Nate Marquardt was greasing when he couldn't get a good grip on his leg. Do you think he had trouble accepting defeat?

Hector Lombard: Yeah, everybody knows he was saying before this fight that the preparation for this fight was the best he ever had, that he was in the best shape of his life and there was no way he was going to lose this fight. Now he's coming out with the excuses again.

When they asked me what my preparation was like before my last fight against Tim Boetsch, I said it was okay. I didn't say I had the best preparation, the best training camp, I felt like I was in the best shape of my life, whatever. I just said I felt okay. He went ahead and was saying how good he was feeling, how good the energy was around him and stuff like that and now you see what he's saying.

read entire interview...

12/24/12 11:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WestCoastMXC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love Hector but after his last fight he came out and started saying he fought injured so......yeah..... *shrugs* Phone Post
12/24/12 11:39 PM
BooZe

WestCoastMXC -  Love Hector but after his last fight he came out and started saying he fought injured so......yeah..... *shrugs* Phone Post

yeh but he went into the fight "already" injured. didn't you read the interview...? lol
12/24/12 11:41 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Palhares never said it made him lose or Lombard didn't do something to break his foot. He even compared it to an injury he had in a fight that he won. Phone Post
12/24/12 11:47 PM
MasterofMartialArts
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If a fighter is able to get in the octagon and fight, I don't want to hear about injuries at all. Phone Post
12/24/12 11:48 PM
Mayweedz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I kind of like Lombard. He might not be the most marketable or trendy fighter, but he seems very down to earth and real.
12/25/12 12:04 AM
stonepony

And Tim only kicked Hector's ass because he had a sore rib or something right?
12/25/12 2:00 AM
stonepony

DoomFarmer - 
stonepony - And Tim only kicked Hector's ass because he had a sore rib or something right?
Tim did nothing of the sort.

As a matter of fact... Hector broke Tim's foot just like he broke Palhares'. Phone Post

Hector lost, and then blamed it on a rib injury. Pallhares wasn't making excuses for his loss. Hector was, and he's accusing Pallhares of it. Pretty weak.
12/25/12 2:20 AM
ausgepicht

Palhares has changed his story and has a track record, like many Brazilians of coming up with excuses. Lombard never said anything and it took weeks later for it to come out that he was injured for Tim. You guys have selective revionist history based on hate.

Lombard is growing on me. Mostly because he said things in this interview that I have been saying for months, even years. Palhares got karma right in his face for the lame shit he's pulled over the years. Bisping is crap for the sport. I can't wait until Lombard destroys him. Bisping can try to hide but Lombard's voice is too loud. 18 fights in the UFC, maybe in another 18 Bisping will finally fight someone of Lombard's caliber. Lombard will show Bisping for what he is: a protected cash cow. 

12/25/12 7:09 AM
sitchpack

NBKNAS - Wait.. Didnt Lombard say that he was not healthy on his previous fight?(or used his manager tosay that). Kind of hypocritical to attack others when you do it yourself. Phone Post
Palhares was injures.mid.fight, theres really no reason to use it as.an excuse. Phone Post
12/25/12 9:54 AM
r_o_y

I'm sick of mma news always being about one fighter talking crap about another.
12/25/12 10:07 AM
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sitchpack - 
NBKNAS - Wait.. Didnt Lombard say that he was not healthy on his previous fight?(or used his manager tosay that). Kind of hypocritical to attack others when you do it yourself. Phone Post
Palhares was injures.mid.fight, theres really no reason to use it as.an excuse. Phone Post

It's a 100% legit excuse, imho.
12/25/12 10:28 AM
catbath
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have a link to Paul Harris interview? On my phone. I don't recall it reading like an excuse - just a factor in the fight. No different than Nate Diaz talki g about how Bendo compromised his vision with a punch. Phone Post
12/25/12 11:43 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

ausgepicht -

Palhares has changed his story and has a track record, like many Brazilians of coming up with excuses. Lombard never said anything and it took weeks later for it to come out that he was injured for Tim. You guys have selective revionist history based on hate.

Lombard is growing on me. Mostly because he said things in this interview that I have been saying for months, even years. Palhares got karma right in his face for the lame shit he's pulled over the years. Bisping is crap for the sport. I can't wait until Lombard destroys him. Bisping can try to hide but Lombard's voice is too loud. 18 fights in the UFC, maybe in another 18 Bisping will finally fight someone of Lombard's caliber. Lombard will show Bisping for what he is: a protected cash cow. 

Lol at the comments coming from you! Oh the irony :D Phone Post
12/25/12 12:05 PM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 

This.

Really couldn't care any less if one or both talk shit about injuries afterwards, its what happens in the cage that counts. IMO, the way Toquino was moving, there's no way his foot was broken before the fight. Lombard proved he was the superior fighter, and it was satisfying to see him put Toquino to sleep.

If the Bisping fight is made, I expect the same thing to happen.

12/25/12 12:19 PM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sugar Dick - 

Early stoppage. Paul Harris was fighting through it

Yeah, but it don't count when its the ref's leg 

12/25/12 12:31 PM
Bad Monkey
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't think Paul Harris was making an excuse, just pointing out damage that had an effect on the outcome of the fight.  Just like when Nate Diaz said he couldn't see after Benson punched him in the face.  

It is not an excuse, it is merely an acknowledgment that their opponent damaged them in the fight, and that damage contributed to the outcome of the fight.

It is the same as if he said "He kicked me in the head and I couldn;t stand up on my own after that." That isn't an excuse, that is an acknowledgment of a specific event (cause) that led to an outcome (effect).

When these guys get asked what happened in the fight, would you rather them say "He was just the better man tonight." or "He checked my kick and broke my foot.  After that I couldn't move very well on the feet and things went downhill from there."  I kinda like to hear what the fighters think the turning point in the fight was for them. 

12/25/12 2:55 PM
ausgepicht

Bat21 -
ausgepicht - 

This.

Really couldn't care any less if one or both talk shit about injuries afterwards, its what happens in the cage that counts. IMO, the way Toquino was moving, there's no way his foot was broken before the fight. Lombard proved he was the superior fighter, and it was satisfying to see him put Toquino to sleep.

Careful. Forum sheriff Outlawed By Lytle doesn't like to hear conversation even if it's within forum rules. He only wants to hear you praise his favorite fighters. Please praise. Phone Post
12/25/12 3:21 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

ausgepicht -
Bat21 -
ausgepicht - 

This.

Careful. Forum sheriff Outlawed By Lytle doesn't like to hear conversation even if it's within forum rules. He only wants to hear you praise his favorite fighters. Please praise. Phone Post
Not at all, I welcome all opinions but find posters blinded by hate irritating.

Lombard's a handful for anyone but I think Bisping is too smart for him. Phone Post
12/25/12 3:22 PM
cdmontgo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winner! By a KNOCK OUT! With bonus points for breaking his opponent's leg! Hector "THE REGULATOR" Lombard!

*Buffer 360*
12/25/12 3:43 PM
ausgepicht

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - He's right. If you throw a kick and it breaks once it's checked, Lombard broke your foot. Not you. It's the same as if he threw a kick and broke his rib.

Lombard whooped dat ass Phone Post
Thank you. Restoring my faith in commom sense. People are usually infected with fanboydom syndrome, especially if someone is Brazilian, so can't see clearly. Phone Post
12/25/12 4:48 PM
GroundStPound

Hey Lombard classy as ever Phone Post
12/25/12 5:00 PM
Moke
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of you confuse simple facts and explanations for excuses. You might interview someone who could break down the fight in detail for you... details you would never otherwise know... he could reveal that he was coming up from dipping left and caught a left hook to the body that he never saw and it broke a rib. He explains that after that injury he was never able to perform, his capacity suddenly plummeted and he was then taken out via tko.

That's not making excuses, that's called filling you in with insider details. Insider details is kinda the whole reason there is mma media and websites. It's kinda the whole point.
12/26/12 12:46 PM
skweezthatthing
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boetsch handled his business against Lombard in spite of breaking his foot. Paul Harris is a bitch.
12/26/12 12:52 PM
Lazer MMA

skweezthatthing - Boetsch handled his business against Lombard in spite of breaking his foot. Paul Harris is a bitch.

Tim won a poor decision in a boring fight which Tim was to blame for in the first place against an injured Lombard.

That's how Tim handles his business.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.