UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I've got a bulging disc. Any suggestions?

12/25/12 1:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Rogan
1179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, I've been having problems with my back for over a year now.  Same area, I injured it once rolling, tried to work through the pain and hurt it worse.  Finally got an MRI and it turns out I've got a bit of a bulging disc.  The good news is the spot where the injury is (upper back) and the way it's injured still allows me to do a lot.  I can still do kettle bells with no pain, I can throw full power kicks and punches, but every time I try to grapple I'm good for a week or two and finally it gives out on me.  Anytime I'm really struggling out of an attempt to break my posture it gives out.

I've been battling with this for a while, so it's nice to know what's wrong but I would really like to get it healed up and get back to grappling.  I've talked to some friends that have had this issue, and the guy with the most success used rolfing to get through it and heal up.  I know I've got shitty posture, so that's a problem I've got to fix too, but I thought I would turn to my forum brethren to see if any of you have had success dealing with this issue and if so what your solution was.

Thanks in advance, and merry christmas.

12/25/12 1:45 AM
ShaqNoob
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought your comedy special. Hilarious.

And sub cause I have same problem. Phone Post
12/25/12 1:45 AM
sgotwalks
1613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/25/12 1:45 AM

Rum and eggnog, chased with a fatty!

Merry Christmas Joe!

12/25/12 1:46 AM
manzuri
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn man. I hope you get that all sorted out and have a speedy recovery!
Merry Christmas! Phone Post
12/25/12 1:47 AM
Galanis
1201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Joe, Merry Christmas to you too. I have been dealing with disc issues for years myself, and I find that the best things that seem to help ease the tension are yoga stretches, and a holistic chiropracter. I am sure in your area you can find a really good one.

A cream called 'Bio freeze' has also really aided me with this issue after training. It's similar to icy hot but much better IMO. Have been applying it to my back for over a year now after each training session.

I'd say check these things out, and best of luck to you

12/25/12 1:49 AM
mizunopro
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put it in a bag of rice. I really enjoyed the special. Powerful Joe Rogan. Phone Post
12/25/12 1:51 AM
Gramkind
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for pics of bulging, oh nevermind, you said
'disc"
12/25/12 1:53 AM
KremeDipEagle
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yoga, like Galanis said. Not jump around vinyasa but restorative yoga and held poses (ie anusara or ayungar). All the best and happy Xmas to you and yours. Here's a suggestion for a podcast guest: somalian rapper K'Naan. Check him out. I think you guys could do a great 3 hours. Also, Lupe Fiasco. Definitely on your wave length. Phone Post
12/25/12 1:58 AM
Kostakio
601 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy this book right now from amazon.com: Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno

I was skeptical at first but read its reviews on there. I figured not everyone can be a paid reviewer or whatever so I gave it a try. This was almost ten years ago. It has changed my life. I can now do ANYTHING whereas before I felt like an old man. Lifting my newborn daughter was uncomfortable even! I even once had to lie down on my coach during a PARTY because my back pain was so debilitating. How embarrassing. Anyway, this book is not for everyone (the author even admits that) but there's a good chance it'll work for you since you're an intelligent guy.

P.S. Start Yoga as soon as your pain subsides which should be within a day or two of reading the book (you'll understand what I mean). Phone Post
12/25/12 1:59 AM
SonOfThePeepHole
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe hogan, im happy its not your lower back Phone Post
12/25/12 1:59 AM
XxLiveBaitxX
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A taller bong will help with the posture and also reduce any aggravation of the disc.
12/25/12 2:04 AM
hubris
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn this is one of those things I fear

ttt for solutions
12/25/12 2:09 AM
Mihow
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2100mg of omega 3 from fish oil
12/25/12 2:15 AM
gooddoc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Inversion boots/table. You're welcome. Phone Post
12/25/12 2:15 AM
DanteHec
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope you find something that works for you ! Happy healing Hogan Phone Post
12/25/12 2:21 AM
ano8tsixxx

Try Dr Peter Goldman. Dude fixed my neck years ago and I still see him every time he comes to Hawaii.
12/25/12 2:23 AM
NavyCorpsman
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In before 10 pages of Internet doctoring, ass kissing and poorly timed sarcastic comments.

Oh, and yoga is the way to go. Take it from someone who has gone pro with back injuries Phone Post
12/25/12 2:33 AM
gooddoc

NavyCorpsman - In before 10 pages of Internet doctoring, ass kissing and poorly timed sarcastic comments.

Oh, and yoga is the way to go. Take it from someone who has gone pro with back injuries Phone Post
The muscles in your back create constant compression in your spine, even when laying flat that compression force is quite strong. The only way to decompress and hopefully give that herniation a chance to resolve and stop compressing nerve roots is inversion. Yoga cannot decompress your spine. Phone Post
12/25/12 2:33 AM
A.Muradyan

CalicoInsurance.com
I second what Kostakio said. Healing back pain book i first heard about it on Howard Sterns show and read a little.

Makes sense that is caused by stress and connected to the nervous system. Now if it is and marijuana hightens your senses and makes you more aware of the discomfort.

Doing therapy is against the principles in the book, but ice for 10 min right after training and warm epsom salt bath when you get home is instant relief.
How your body is positioned while sleeping also makes a difference for me. (my posture is bad too in general) Now i try not to sleep on the side where there is discomfort.

Not that im completely discomfort free but i felt better after reading that book. Weird but worth a try.

Enjoyed the heck out the podcast today. Can you please get Victor Conte back as a guest again please. Phone Post
12/25/12 2:34 AM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This book helped me:
http://www.amazon.com/Back-RX-15-Minute---Day-Pilates-Based/dp/1592400450/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1356420507&sr=8-9&keywords=back+pain+yoga

Using a good inversion table 2-3 times a day also helps.  If you sit in a chair a lot during the day, get up every 30 minutes or so, walk around and do a couple stretches.  And of course good posture is important.

12/25/12 2:34 AM
poops

I don't have any worthwhile advice, I just want the personal satisfaction of knowing that Joe Rogan read something that I typed while pooping. I ate Thai food and I'm in pain. Phone Post
12/25/12 2:39 AM
NavyCorpsman
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gooddoc -
NavyCorpsman - In before 10 pages of Internet doctoring, ass kissing and poorly timed sarcastic comments.

The muscles in your back create constant compression in your spine, even when laying flat that compression force is quite strong. The only way to decompress and hopefully give that herniation a chance to resolve and stop compressing nerve roots is inversion. Yoga cannot decompress your spine. Phone Post
I use inversion twice a day as well, and I probably should have said "Yoga with Inversion first." My apologies. I didn't want to be an Internet Doc who was going to write out his entire treatment plan for him just because I'm a nurse who thinks they know everything. Phone Post
12/25/12 2:44 AM
hubris
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/25/12 2:53 AM
kangnamwon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/25/12 2:55 AM
Hello Joe. Big fan of your podcast. Sorry about your injury. I see that everyone here is suggesting yoga which could improve your disc problem... IMO it could or make it worse. Do you have pain going down anywhere?

Try these simple methods. Try bending forward as if you were try to touch your toes but bending from your thoracic spine as much as you can. Do the movement 10 times. Did your pain get better or worse? If it got worse then try extending your back same as before bending back from your thoracic spine as much as you can. Do 10 times.

If your pain got better with bending forward then only do forward bending and avoid extending back & vice versa. This is because disc bulges are usually more anterior or posterior and you want to put the disc back with one of these movements.

This is a robin mckenzie method who is a physical therapist renowned for solving disc pain. Hope it helps
12/25/12 3:10 AM
bknumber1
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I slipped a disc a while back so I feel your pain. If you had an MRI that tells me you're seeing a professional which is the first step. Since you're past the acute phase an now looking for long term solutions, I think the old answer is the best: core strength.

Not just sit-ups and six pack abs, but actual core strength exercises like planks, back ext, etc. Posture is huge in this too. I can ALWAYS tell when I have been slouching cuz the back will hurt for a few days after. Yoga can help with all that, just make sure not to get in with a crazy instructor! Stretching your back after every class helps too. I am notorious for skipping stretching and I can tell when I do.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.