UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Hamstring pain during back squat descending motion

12/25/12 4:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JudoEd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to work on my back squats in my basement gym today. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get into the squats. After a few warm up sets, I tried to descend with my working weight, but there was too much pain for me to confidently complete the descent. The pain is felt in the right hamstring on interior side, near where the hamstring attaches underneath the gluts. I felt the pain more in the descent then in the lift.

Anyone ever have a similar issue? I injured that hamstring years ago in Judo, and the pain comes back every now and again.
12/26/12 10:39 PM
NeoSpartan
500 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT,

Right on the glute/ham tie in? Like nearly by your taint (lol)? does it hurt the worst at the bottom of the squat?

I had a similar problem on my left leg. It stopped when I added leg swings to my warmup. 50 forward, 50 backwards (really use your glutes), 50 to the side (glute medius), and then I do 50 figure 8's inside and outside.

I wish I could tell you why, what it was, etc. That's what worked for me though. Hopefully someone else can lead you in the right direction. Give what I tried a shot though. Maybe break it up into sets of 10 and just do them circuit fashion till you feel warm. 50 is good for me cause I already do them pretty regularly in the AM (100 every morning).

I got it from scientific stretching (i think) by thomas kurz.

The funny part (considering a thread I made) is that I think glute bridge/hip thrusts will help you out here.
12/27/12 11:17 PM
JudoEd

Hurts worst at the top / mid of the squat. Will try adding leg swings. Right leg hamstring flexibility is noticeably worst. Phone Post
1/3/13 12:53 PM
JudoEd

Took a week off squats and I feel better. Squats three times a week is probably too much at my age. Phone Post
1/3/13 2:29 PM
cruedi
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do some stiff leg dead lifts. They will really stretch and strengthen your hammies.
1/3/13 5:33 PM
JudoEd

Absolutely. I stopped doing them a few years ago, and have had more hamstring issues. Phone Post
1/8/13 4:13 PM
CrossFit650

I would bet there is a glute strength deficiency, which is not uncommon in most athletes.

I also assume you don't have access to a reverse hyper in a home gym, but would recommend Glute Ham Bridges, Light Stiff Legged Deadlifts. And put some focus into lower back and glute development. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.