UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> 365 Day Challenge

12/26/12 4:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
neongreenlights
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My goal is to train either bjj/judo/wrestling/anything else grappling every single day this coming year. (doing the same with striking, but that's for another topic)

I feel this will be a fun way to see how much better I get by the end of the year. I'll be competing as much as possible and will tape my matches to study my progress.

Key notes:

1. BJJ classes, Judo, etc. aren't held everyday. Therefore, I need to get creative and persuasive, getting classmates to train outside of class hours. This actually is a benefit as I can train lighter than the classes if I start hitting "over training".

2. I will be keeping a training log.

3. "Just Showing Up" isn't enough. I have to put in real effort to get better. (Class notes, study videos, asking for advice, working on weaknesses, and so on.)

Anyone else interested in this goal or something similar?

Best of luck everyone this coming year
12/26/12 6:24 AM
baby-silverback
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When do you plan on letting your body recover? Phone Post
12/26/12 6:36 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/26/12 6:50 AM
dojo stormer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how long have you been training for?
12/26/12 3:41 PM
brixx139

baby-silverback - When do you plan on letting your body recover? Phone Post
This. Not to rain on your parade, but this seems like an awful idea. You risk burning yourself out (not only physically, but also mentally. You dont want to start disliking the activity you love) Phone Post
12/26/12 3:43 PM
brixx139

But the yearning to improve and your obvious dedication is a great thing. But be smart about it man. You only have one body. It would be tragic to overtrain yourself ro injury and then lose out on months and months of training. Phone Post
12/26/12 3:43 PM
brixx139

*to Phone Post
12/26/12 3:46 PM
shadallion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You'll be a swollen, broken husk of a man by April.
12/26/12 4:42 PM
neongreenlights
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with the responses that it can cause more harm than good. However, not every session will be high in intensity. For example, days where I can't make the classes at a certain time (have to work) will/can be dedicated to drills, review, and reps rather than hard rolling, if any rolling.

There will be between 2-3 of these "light" days per week so it shouldn't be an issue. Kind of like "active recovery" days.

"You'll be a swollen, broken husk of a man by April"
Hope not, I'm going to try to be careful. If it happens, I'll post a pic of my brokeness.lol

12/26/12 4:57 PM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Training only one time per day and everyone is worried he is overtraining?

You guys have got to be kidding me.
12/26/12 8:40 PM
baby-silverback
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as the body thrives on exercise, at some point it has to rest so it can repair & rebuild. Even guys in their 20s need to rest Phone Post
12/26/12 9:00 PM
CT87
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to try to see how many days out of 365 I could train before utterly falling apart, but I am considerably more fragile than most and tend to try inadvisable techniques for my skillset against much larger training partners.

I wish you the best of luck neongreenlights and hope you are taking some major supplements for joint and inflammation, because if not you'll for sure need them!
12/26/12 9:21 PM
PayItForward
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was out for a 4 month period once when i blew my knee and back out on a fucked up takedown against a monster.

i spent that time just going to class and watching, going home and watching youtube vids and DVD instructionals.

came back and for some reason was doing really well.. just housing people... entered a tourney w/ about 2-3 weeks mat time to get some of my timing and wind back. took second.

moral of the story... on those "light" days, you should do nothing but watch others or at most, light and slow drilling for technique
12/26/12 11:10 PM
ChipW
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's kind of like Quentin Cassidy's "the trial of miles, miles of trials".

From a physiological point of view it isn't smart but mentally you will be unbreakable if you make it through.

Do it. Phone Post
12/27/12 8:32 AM
allchokedup
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think you can do it. In the past couple of years I think I could have done it. There are some factors like age, how much sleep/rest you get and diet to name a few. I have been going 3-4 times a week for about 4 years without a break except off days. It has caught up with me and I am taking 2 full weeks off. I know a few guys that train every day sometimes multiple times a day for years,you can do it. Go for it
12/27/12 3:32 PM
neongreenlights

I know I'll have to be careful, thanks for the "do it" and "go for it".

Basically, I'm a below average level blue belt who's tired of sucking. I love watching videos of Roger Gracie, Marcelo, Jacare, Rickson, etc. and know that they've put in years of hard work. So me putting in just one year, is all I'm asking of myself. Who knows, maybe I might make it two years. Or, be a "broken husk of a man" and say to hell with it.

In addition, I see it as a way of forcing myself to live a healthier lifestyle. Eating cleaner,and getting adequate sleep.

Fish oil, whey protein, multivitamin, fruits, vegetables, ice baths, will be my friends.
12/27/12 3:45 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for updates throughout the year. Good luck OP!

I have some goals for this year as well, not all BJJ related.

1. Run a 5K in under 20 minutes. ( current time 20:59)

2. Compete in at least 8 grappling tournaments

3. Take an amateur MMA fight

4. Do a Spartan or Tough Mudder Race

5. Get more ripped. ( have a six pack)

There is a get a six pack in 2013 thread on the OG that I am taking part in as well. Not sure if fitness is a part of your goal but if so check it out. Phone Post
12/27/12 4:10 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How old are you? Phone Post
12/27/12 5:02 PM
neongreenlights

"In for updates throughout the year." I'll give one each month, unless I fail, then I'll report sooner.

Those Spartan and Tough Mudder Races look cool! Good luck. I'll check out the "six pack" thread. Would like one of those as well. lol

I'm 31, not a young buck but not over the hill.
12/27/12 6:26 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thinks it's a great goal. You won't know if you can do it if you don't try. Make sure you keep some days light. If you falter on one or more days, don't trash the whole challenge, just pick up where you left off. That is the true gut check of the whole challenge. It's a lot easier if you let yourself off the hook when you falter once.

I think just making an honest attempt is a success as well. Phone Post
12/27/12 6:41 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey man I am 31 as well. As Doc Holliday would say "me..? I am in my prime. "

We aren't young bucks but I think that old man strength is kicking in. Strength of body and mind! Ha. Phone Post
12/27/12 7:34 PM
carcaju
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed and good luck ninja. I want a big 2013 also.
12/27/12 9:40 PM
baby-silverback

At 31 your muscles are now fully mature. Be smart, tap early restart & figure out where you went wrong. Wish you the best Phone Post
12/28/12 8:41 AM
aed333
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this is possible if you train every session in a way to be able to train the next day. I don't see this happening if you go 100% too often. Watch a lot of rolling and/or video on light days and do lots of visualization about your techniques/game.

Good luck!
12/28/12 10:04 AM
countlphie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like to tell students that one of the most important things to getting good is longevity.

I definitely encourage a 365 day challenge - i know a few people who get close to that number. my gym offers more than 1 class a day and i've logged a little over 400 classes this year (or close to 500 hrs), so hopefully my advice can help

if you were to try 365 days straight, you should try to figure out your definition of "off" days. i think some people suggested drilling days which is a great idea. when you first start maybe some days you can devote only to drilling. drilling is a great way to keep training without tearing your body up. i think it's also been a more efficient way of improving my balance, coordination, and the accuracy of my moves...and improving those things means less injuries too

also, work your way up slowly. my experience has been that at first, i started with class every other day, then every day, then two classes a day etc, and this was over a span of a few months. also i had to start out with generally lower intensity in most classes, and work my way up to be able to train normal every day.

if you are patient with increasing your work load, cognizant of your body's limits, and make safety in training a priority, you can do this!

as of today along with jiu jitsu i also started wrestling and judo classes. my body feels pretty beat up so on sunday i have to just lay on my couch and not move. but so far i have been keeping up this pace

i don't do S&C and just a little bit of weight lifting because it's recommended for strong bones or something, or to round out muscular imbalances (all i ever do is pull on shit now)

and drink lots of green tea and water!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.