UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Knee pain when squatting?

12/26/12 7:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been off the squats for a while after tweaking my back. Started up again and felt pain at the parallel level in the front part if my knee, kinda underneath the kneecap. Gave it a break for a few weeks but had it again yesterday just doing bodyweight squats? Any ideas?

I had previously changed my stance a little wider, and my knees flair towards to the sides a little more rather than simply straight out in front of me, I'm wondering if that is exerting some undue force on the wrong part of my knee joint. Phone Post
12/30/12 1:57 PM
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
12/30/12 5:19 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would need to see you squat to properly assess. There's a ton of things that can be wrong. Posture, poor muscle recruitment, not engaging your abdominals, etc.

It sounds like your kneecap is tracking wrong which is patella femoral stress imo, but I could be mistaken. A large percentage of the time this is usually poor glute recruitment and tight hip flexors.

12/30/12 5:22 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a great article, tony gentilcore is a gangster. Eric Cressey, and Mike Robertson are other coaches with some material that may be beneficial to you. Fire up google, drink something anti-inflammatory, and get to reading :)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/does_everyone_need_to_squat_deep
1/1/13 6:31 PM
BALLSDEEP
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you properly warmed up?
1/2/13 7:45 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty much what NeoSpartan said (VTFU). Eric Cressey fixed some of my squating and also Turkish Getup issues and a great coach, very good at spotting errors quickly.

1/11/13 12:09 PM
andyman011
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A big reason squats are bad for your knees is the form. Your knees shouldn't go past your toes. Like half an inch at the very most, otherwise that's where the entire stress goes Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.