UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Heavyweights predict JDS vs. Velasquez

12/26/12 9:34 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

2012 is going to end with a mighty bang, as Cain Velasquez challenges UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos in the headlining event of UFC 155 on Saturday night, live on PPV.

The easy predicition is a repeat of the first fight - JDS by KO. But some of the heaviest minds in MMA think otherwise.

Matt Mitrione - Cain
"I think Cain will win that fight. I think Dos Santos is a phenomenal striker. I think Cain's motivated. I think he's an exceptional wrestler nobody has chain wrestling like him, or cardio. I think he can stay on Dos Santos' legs, shot, shot, re-shot, re-shot. Do everything else to get Dos Santos' back and I think that Cain's got phenomenal top control. Even if Dos Santos gets back up. I think Cain will just re-shoot on him, once again. I think it will be a wrestling match."

Alistair Overeem - Cain
I think Cain is gonna do good in this next fight. I think he might even get the belt. I think he's gonna get the belt."

Shane del Rosario - Leaning JDS
"It's gonna be a very tough fight. If Dos Santos doesn't catch him I think Velasquez has a good chance to grind him out and take the win over all five rounds. I'm rooting for Dos Santos and I hope he gets the win. I think he will."

Fabricio Werdum - Leaning JDS
"I don't know, it's very difficult because Dos Santos has the best boxing in the UFC. Velasquez is definitely a complete guy. It's a very good fight for sure. I want Dos Santos to win again, because I want a fight with him. Velasquez trains a lot. I know. He has good wrestling, good boxing, good muay thai. I think Velasquez has a good team. Maybe a smart team...put Dos Santos to the ground. Because if he stay stand up. Maybe Dos Santos will knock him out again."

Frank Mir - JDS
"I think it's really close. Again, I think Velasquez is extremely well rounded, very tenacious has great grappling ability. I think the way to beat Dos Santos is to close off the cage, to put him against there and put him down on the ground. Lets test his abilities in other areas. He's already proven he's an unbelievable fighter when it comes to the open area. His footwork, his speed. I think if you want to take the champion away from that, you have to take him out of that element. I think Velasquez has the potential to possibly do so. That being said he's already tried once and came up short and Dos Santos, so far no one has really figured out the riddle on really how to cut him off and get him down to the ground. No one has been able to really be dominant at all, or even show a chink in his armor. As of right now, he goes around and he does what he does best and no one is able to stop him. They're both such great fighters. I'll probably slide toward the champion just because he is the champion. It's not something I would actually bet my house on."

Shane Carwin - JDS
"Dos Santos and Cain...I think it's more of the same from the last fight. Dos Santos."

RoyNelson - JDS
"I think I was the only one who gave Junior a chance to actually finish that fight...I still got Junior. Just because, he hits hard and if anything he's got five rounds tp knock Cain's block off. If Cain does the same thing he did last time, it's not gonna be a good thing. I thin Cain has to just change his game-plan up and actually go out there and execute good, solid grappling match game-plan, then he'll be okay. As long as you're tying him up, he can't punch you."

Randy Couture - It is going to be interesting
"The rematch is gonna be interesting, I think you'll see Cain back at the top of his game and sharp it was a question with the shoulder issues he had. Coming back and fighting a guy the caliber of Dos Santos. he was just sitting there waiting and obviously hungry. Cain certainly wants his belt back so i think maybe we'll see a little bit tighter Dos Santos than we've seen in the past. but it will be an interesting rematch, for sure. I expect to see a lot more wrestling out of Velasquez, to deal with the punching and striking abilities of Junior dos Santos."

Read entire article...

Who do you think will win? And how sure are you?

12/26/12 9:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bruised
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JDS, baby! Phone Post
12/26/12 9:58 AM
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Randy hedging his bets now? How can I bet on this without a Couture pick?
12/26/12 10:04 AM
Chris Power
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way Mir worded his response, I like to think he regularly bets his house on MMA fights.

Man though, how do you even pick this fight? Both guys can win, and both can win dominantly. Fights like this are what MMA's all about.
12/26/12 10:07 AM
Prikaza

I'm rooting for Cain and I can see him winning this time if, and it's a big if, he can take Junior down. If it stays on the feet I see this fight ending like the first time. If by any chance this fights hits the later rounds (highly unlikely) I'm giving the advantage to Cain due to his cardio. Phone Post
12/26/12 11:02 AM
SaviorSelf12
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone who is picking JDS are the guys who lost to him except one guy. It's a close fight. Who ever imposes their game plan and their strengths the best will win. Phone Post
12/26/12 11:11 AM
Lazer MMA

I'd bet they are not betting on Cain despite what they say. Cain a top fighter but running into a Buzz saw.
12/26/12 11:13 AM
Kenso
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm waiting for CRE's pick.
12/26/12 11:37 AM
Lite
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain. That he lost the first was a shocker. A fluke? I think Cain takes the next rather easily. Phone Post
12/26/12 11:40 AM
kkmmnn
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jds and it wont even be close... i called there first fight to within 3 seconds of the KO. ireally see cain going to bed early in the rematch as well. Werdum is the most dangerous opponent atm for jds, imo. his striking has become furocious, hes strong as an ox now and his bjj is the best in the hw division. Phone Post
12/26/12 11:43 AM
Choochy
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta go with JDS because I want to see him fight the reem next.

Won't be as quick as the first fight though. Phone Post
12/26/12 12:48 PM
MMALOGIC

If Cain fights like colton smith and survives the first 2 rounds he can win.

12/26/12 1:04 PM
BENDOver 209 Top Team #1
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/26/12 1:08 PM

Mitrione and Overeem picking Cain is laughable..... team Blackzillian gets wrecked by the upper echelon of HWs...

12/26/12 1:08 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

MagSlim - Is Randy hedging his bets now? How can I bet on this without a Couture pick?

i think he realized hes horrible at picking fights, so hes decided to be totally noncommital going forward

12/26/12 1:09 PM
BENDOver 209 Top Team #1
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
MagSlim - Is Randy hedging his bets now? How can I bet on this without a Couture pick?

i think he realized hes horrible at picking fights, so hes decided to be totally noncommital going forward

When CRE pulled ahead of him for accuracy, it really hit home.

12/26/12 1:16 PM
rosario00

BENDOver 209 Top Team #1 -

Mitrione and Overeem picking Cain is laughable..... team Blackzillian gets wrecked by the upper echelon of HWs...

They're just upset that JDS called out Overeems roid taking skills Phone Post
12/26/12 1:20 PM
BENDOver 209 Top Team #1

Now that you mention it.. The Blackzillian diet is working for Meathead.

12/26/12 1:22 PM
TuLegit

I don't get why people say it'll be so close. Jds will utterly smash him. Phone Post
12/26/12 1:24 PM
bhealthy

CAIN WINS
12/26/12 1:54 PM
eljamaiquino
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what would sakuraba do - So, it wasnt a "fluke", but it was almost anecdotal imo. I dont buy the Jds hype, because he isnt truly tested imo. I dont think hes the best in the divi. Cain of old would beat him.
I didn't see Cain fighting Carwin, Werdum, or Mir. Cain is the more untested one. He gets busted up & tkoed IMO.... Phone Post
12/26/12 2:01 PM
rosario00

what would sakuraba do - So, it wasnt a "fluke", but it was almost anecdotal imo. I dont buy the Jds hype, because he isnt truly tested imo. I dont think hes the best in the divi. Cain of old would beat him.
Lmfao!! Phone Post
12/26/12 2:16 PM
Sinister420

JDS by 1st rd KO!!! Phone Post
12/26/12 2:36 PM
jragg32
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overeem sounds like a natural analyst. Phone Post
12/26/12 2:58 PM
Entreri

I don't see how Cain gets past the 2nd round.
12/27/12 11:40 AM
muaythai1622
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jds

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.