UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> 06 Honda Accord 4cyl belt v. chain

12/26/12 7:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got an 06 Accord 4cyl. 65k miles on it. Wanting to keep up on the maintenance etc. and was looking into changing the timing belt and water pump at the proper intervals. Recommended time to replace the belt is about 105k however its a 6/7 year old vehicle.

As I looked into it more, as I have no mechanical knowledge/ability, I'm finding that this model has a timing chain and NOT the belt.

So what type of maintenance does this require and where/ho do I establish needed iformation on this?

1/4/13 11:46 PM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The chain shouldn't need to be replaced for a while. There's a "stretch limit" for them, not a replacement time, to the best of my knowledge; if it stretches past a certain point, it's time for a new one.
1/5/13 12:54 AM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I suppose it's just business as usual then? I appreciate it
1/23/13 2:21 PM
ColeMillerATT
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You may have an issue with your timing chain tensioner, that is more likely than an issue with your timing chain itself. 

1/23/13 9:26 PM
cycklops

You'll have to forgive me Cole, I have no idea who's busting my balls anymore. You could have effectively told me "go get the striped paint."

1/26/13 1:18 AM
ColeMillerATT
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol no problem, bascially youre all good. Honestly you shouldnt have to ever change the timing chain on that car unless you have a major accident / motor malfunction. I guess i had misread and thought you had indicated there was a problem and you NEEDED to change it. But you should be set on that unless youre building that engine or have a turbo on it.  if that was the case the OEM timing chain tensioners on those vehicles should be changed before investing in the chain itself...Honda makes a GREAT car

1/26/13 11:56 AM
cycklops

I don't plan on making any modifications at all to the car. It's a little kid hauler etc. In the processing of picking up a new car (used) we were looking for mileage around 60k or so. We were told over and over that if we find mileage above that we should make sure that the timing belt and water pump were replaced. I was happy to hear that the car we chose (06 Honda Accord 4cyl.) actually had a timing chain, not a belt, so it would effectively require less maintenance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.