UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Help! $40K of my $250K insurance claim was denied

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
12/26/12 7:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Conor Heun
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys.

As some of you may know, I needed surgery to repair the torn labrum in both of my hips, as well as an avulsion fracture, following my bout with Ryan Couture in Strikeforce this past March.

Unfortunately, Zuffa's Insurance company has denied the claim so I am being forced to pay out of pocket to cover the surgeries.

Luckily, the guys at Fund-A-Fighter have stepped up to help me be creating a campaign to help me raise the money.

All of my friends in the MMA community have really stepped up to offer some amazing prizes and incentives for those who contribute.

If you can't contribute, help me out by spreading the word, bumping this thread, and sharing this link for me on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Thanks guys

http://fundafighter.com/fighters/conor-heun/
12/26/12 7:52 PM
Conor Heun
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please feel free to share the link on any other forum you guys are on.

Thanks so much for the support.

The fans are what makes this sport special.
12/26/12 7:54 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/26/12 7:57 PM
Pat Giles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dwc - On what grounds was your claim denied?
. Phone Post
12/26/12 7:58 PM
mizunopro
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
12/26/12 8:00 PM
Chris27

Why was it denied?

I thought the insurance covered all injuries that happened during a fight or in training?
12/26/12 8:01 PM
in_different
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to hear the other side of this. For what reason would they deny it? Injustice or special circumstances that you aren't mentioning?

Good luck with the surgery though
12/26/12 8:01 PM
caposa
1582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These injuries occurred during the fight? Sounds like some bullshit if true. Phone Post
12/26/12 8:02 PM
Conor Heun

The surgeon looked at the two torn labrum and on one side he said that I had a mild case of congenital hip dysplasia.

He said that if he just repaired the labrum, that I would be at risk of re-tearing it so he performed a PAO or Periacetabular Osteotomy.

This was to prevent the injury from happening again.

The insurance denied that claim based on this being a pre-existing condition not related to the fight.

The reality is that the injury (torn labrum) was related to the fight and the doctor just wanted to make sure that once it was healed, that it didn't happen again.

However due to stipulations in the Zuffa Insurance they are denying the claim because the PAO wasn't to repair an injury, but was to prevent re-injury after the initial repair.
12/26/12 8:04 PM
itswhitty
433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure this will be stickied soon enough, but in the meantime...  TTT.

12/26/12 8:04 PM
ItBurnsWheniOG
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shouldn't the doctor of ran it by your insurance to make sure they covered it so you wouldn't have to pay the bill? Phone Post
12/26/12 8:05 PM
MMALOGIC

Are you still under contract with zuffa?

12/26/12 8:05 PM
UGCTT_Capnsavem
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Conor Heun - The surgeon looked at the two torn labrum and on one side he said that I had a mild case of congenital hip dysplasia.

He said that if he just repaired the labrum, that I would be at risk of re-tearing it so he performed a PAO or Periacetabular Osteotomy.

This was to prevent the injury from happening again.

The insurance denied that claim based on this being a pre-existing condition not related to the fight.

The reality is that the injury (torn labrum) was related to the fight and the doctor just wanted to make sure that once it was healed, that it didn't happen again.

However due to stipulations in the Zuffa Insurance they are denying the claim because the PAO wasn't to repair an injury, but was to prevent re-injury after the initial repair.
I fucking despise insurance companies. good luck Conor, I'll spread the word. Phone Post
12/26/12 8:06 PM
FOX Force Five
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's very poor.

Good luck.

12/26/12 8:06 PM
Teddy KGB

Sounds bad but to be honest some more details would be good
12/26/12 8:08 PM
Authority Figure

ItBurnsWheniOG -  Shouldn't the doctor of ran it by your insurance to make sure they covered it so you wouldn't have to pay the bill? Phone Post

Doctors are interested in billable work. They don't give a fuck if you can afford it. What they usually do is act like it was an accident that it fell under disallowable work and offer you a payment plan. Which means they actually make MORE on the procedure. 

12/26/12 8:09 PM
Swayze Express

DFW is a good guy. I'm sure there is something he can do for your unfortunate situation. Good luck.
12/26/12 8:10 PM
Conor Heun

I am currently still under contract with Zuffa.

In fact, Sean Shelby called me this afternoon to offer my the fight with Pat Healy on Jan 12.

I told him I'd take the fight but that they'd have some trouble getting me cleared buy the doctors as I'm still on crutches and will be until Jan 3rd.

He said that if I beat Pat, they would bring me to the UFC.

When he found out that I was injured, he told me that I would not be brought over to the UFC but to get a win at 145 after I'm healed and they will look at bringing me on.

I was flattered to get the shot at Healy, a title shot has always been a dream and yea, I'm crazy (and broke) enough to take that fight even in the shape I'm in.

So while I am officially still under contract with Zuffa, I was told to expect my release early next year.
12/26/12 8:12 PM
Conor Heun

My surgeon, isn't charging me for the surgery but I still have to pay for the operating room, anesthesia, epidural, blood transfusion, and physical therapy (which I have stopped because I can't pay it).
12/26/12 8:15 PM
MMALOGIC

what's the total cost you're looking at?

12/26/12 8:15 PM
yellow's Tap In
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fuck Dana? Phone Post
12/26/12 8:17 PM
Crooklyn
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

I'll put together a big box of goodies for you, Conor. We can auction it off for the FundAFighter campaign. Already wrote to Mike.

12/26/12 8:19 PM
epwar
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Conor Heun - I am currently still under contract with Zuffa.

In fact, Sean Shelby called me this afternoon to offer my the fight with Pat Healy on Jan 12.

I told him I'd take the fight but that they'd have some trouble getting me cleared buy the doctors as I'm still on crutches and will be until Jan 3rd.

He said that if I beat Pat, they would bring me to the UFC.

When he found out that I was injured, he told me that I would not be brought over to the UFC but to get a win at 145 after I'm healed and they will look at bringing me on.

I was flattered to get the shot at Healy, a title shot has always been a dream and yea, I'm crazy (and broke) enough to take that fight even in the shape I'm in.

So while I am officially still under contract with Zuffa, I was told to expect my release early next year.

Goddamn, that is some messed up shit.  Best of luck.

12/26/12 8:24 PM
othree
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man oh man that's bullshit sir, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Insurance companies will do anything to get out of covering their customers.

12/26/12 8:25 PM
Rear Naked Chode
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such a bummer :(
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.