UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Help! $40K of my $250K insurance claim was denied

12/27/12 11:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NINERS76
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

othree - 

Man oh man that's bullshit sir, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Insurance companies will do anything to get out of covering their customers.

Why would they pay for something that doesnt really need to be done?? This is something extra.
12/27/12 11:40 AM
Griffdog
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NINERS76 - I sure wish that I could start a fund and ask for money if my job doesnt pay for something. You made the decision to be a fighter and you knew the risk behind it. How about purchasing private insurance at a monthly rate instead of always turning to the fans!

I sure wish you would STFU, show a little respect, and never post here again.

Looks like we are both disappointed.
12/27/12 11:44 AM
Filo_Beto

Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Brian J DSouza -

Agree with John Joe on the socialized health care thing, as Canada and the UK share a really good system.

They share really good taxes as well Phone Post

You have a shallow understanding of your own healthcare system. You think because the money doesn't come out of your federal taxes directly that you are not being taxed which would make you grossly misinformed.

If a person with a family of 4 wanted purchase their own healhcare because their employers don't provide them it run any where from 1500/month to 2000/month depending where you live and what type of options you choose.

If your employer does provide you with healthcare it's still not free. Some of that costs are handed down to you and taken directly from your pay check. For a single person it could be 400/month and for a family of 4 it can be as high as 700/month.

Let's not forget the bleeding doesn't stop here. Everytime you go to a doctor there is a copay fee(tax) then when you go to pick up the medication you have to pay another copay(tax). Let's not even talk about the dentist office which for many procedures it only covers 50%(root canal.) Which costed me about 600 dollars the other day.

Moral of the story is stop believing in the right wing propaganda of other countries paying higher taxes for universal healthcare when the cost of health care in your own country per capita is more then double many european countries with less succsessful outcomes.
Judging by your numbers you are te one with a shallow understanding. I am married and pay around $100 dollars for healthcare a month. Dental is $9 a month and we get 2 cleanings a year each as well as 100% coverage on minor restorative issues like fillings and root canal. 90% coverage on major and crowns. I am very familiar with how the healthcare system works. If you trust your government with extra money to make the right decisions that's your prerogative. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Phone Post

Never heard of an insurance that covers what you claim unless your full of crap which most likely is the case. My wife and I both work for fortune 100 companies and we don't receive these rates. Your dental numbers makes sense but Root canals I disagree with.I undestand if you don't trust your governement but on the same token you TRUST an insurance company who makes their living by denying people coverage?? Good luch with that one.
12/27/12 11:48 AM
NINERS76

Griffdog - 
NINERS76 - I sure wish that I could start a fund and ask for money if my job doesnt pay for something. You made the decision to be a fighter and you knew the risk behind it. How about purchasing private insurance at a monthly rate instead of always turning to the fans!

What did I say that was so disrespectful?? Whats disrespectful is when people ask for handouts during these tough times
12/27/12 11:51 AM
Weinstein

Dana doesn't have to pay for shit. If he did, hundreds of fighters would come out of the woodworks with all types of insurance claims.
12/27/12 11:55 AM
crumbs
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto - 
Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Brian J DSouza -

Agree with John Joe on the socialized health care thing, as Canada and the UK share a really good system.

You have a shallow understanding of your own healthcare system. You think because the money doesn't come out of your federal taxes directly that you are not being taxed which would make you grossly misinformed.

If a person with a family of 4 wanted purchase their own healhcare because their employers don't provide them it run any where from 1500/month to 2000/month depending where you live and what type of options you choose.

If your employer does provide you with healthcare it's still not free. Some of that costs are handed down to you and taken directly from your pay check. For a single person it could be 400/month and for a family of 4 it can be as high as 700/month.

Let's not forget the bleeding doesn't stop here. Everytime you go to a doctor there is a copay fee(tax) then when you go to pick up the medication you have to pay another copay(tax). Let's not even talk about the dentist office which for many procedures it only covers 50%(root canal.) Which costed me about 600 dollars the other day.

Moral of the story is stop believing in the right wing propaganda of other countries paying higher taxes for universal healthcare when the cost of health care in your own country per capita is more then double many european countries with less succsessful outcomes.
Judging by your numbers you are te one with a shallow understanding. I am married and pay around $100 dollars for healthcare a month. Dental is $9 a month and we get 2 cleanings a year each as well as 100% coverage on minor restorative issues like fillings and root canal. 90% coverage on major and crowns. I am very familiar with how the healthcare system works. If you trust your government with extra money to make the right decisions that's your prerogative. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Phone Post

Never heard of an insurance that covers what you claim unless your full of crap which most likely is the case. My wife and I both work for fortune 100 companies and we don't receive these rates. Your dental numbers makes sense but Root canals I disagree with.I undestand if you don't trust your governement but on the same token you TRUST an insurance company who makes their living by denying people coverage?? Good luch with that one.

His numbers are correct,if he is talking about Canada, infact in Canada if you make below a certain amount, you don't pay any monthly fees for basic health care.

And root canals are covered under almost any dental plan in Canada, at the very least 90% covered( and most dental offices will cover that remaining 10% anyways)

Americans, unfortunately health care is a big money business, you don't need to search far to hear a horror story of a 6 figure bill for something as small as a broken arm or foot. I realize there are programs in the states that can help you with such a bill, but the fact That, that 6 figure number is working it way through the system to be later written off in some shady way, is scary.

12/27/12 12:01 PM
KaBrooney
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NINERS76 -
Griffdog - 

What did I say that was so disrespectful?? Whats disrespectful is when people ask for handouts during these tough times
This is one of these situations that if you don't have nothing positive to say then you're better saying nothing. IMO your comments weren't disrespectful, they were just uncalled for.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Phone Post
12/27/12 12:02 PM
Brian J DSouza

The truth about this is, Connor will probably be paying for this operation for years to come, financially and physically.

12/27/12 12:09 PM
Jsteven
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Brian J DSouza -

My numbers are absolutely correct and root canals are 100%, I just double checked. I work for a fortune 150 company. I really don't care if you believe me but these are the facts. Ok finally done hijacking, im not responding anymore, carry on. Phone Post
12/27/12 12:14 PM
clown makeup

Someone needs to determine who authorized the additional surgery because it is a bit unfair to claim the following

"It's unfortunate that their insurance carrier chose to reject his claim for injuries sustained during his fight with Ryan Couture"

From the muddled information provided an injury occurred during the fight, the insurance authorized the repair of this. While being repaired the doctor noted a pre-existing condition which in the future could undo the repair he performed. The doctor went ahead and corrected that pre-existing condition and now the insurance company won't pay him for doing that correction. That pre-existing condition unrelated to the fight. They paid for the injury from the fight and will not pay for something else found unrelated to the fight.

12/27/12 12:21 PM
slo ko
1162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My dental insurance is virtually identical to Jstevens'

And since we're getting our Fortune 500 penises out, my company is Fortune 400.

12/27/12 12:27 PM
chaplinshouse
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quit posting.  you're showing your ignorance on insurance, and what fighters have to deal with, while being a dick in the process.  the vast majority of fighters don't earn enough to buy private insurance with "fighter" listed as occupation and the fact you'd compare your job/insurance situation to his deserves the palm de' bitchslap award

and guess what? u CAN start a fund should u need it if your job doesn't pay for something.  karma will probably cock block u though

12/27/12 12:29 PM
NINERS76

Atkinson - 
Griffdog -

This... Obviously this clown has no idea how prohibitively expensive insurance for fighters is.. There was a doco on it recently and unless you're a top tier guy headlining PPV's etc it's something that many can't afford.

Have a heart Phone Post

Your right somewhat. Kinda take back what I said. From what ive read this surgery wasnt necessary. Your doctor seemed to want to test himself with this surgery. You might want to look into why the insurance wasnt contacted first.
12/27/12 12:30 PM
IHangFromBJsBallSack

Go ahead and freeze me mods I don't fucking care. Phone Post
12/27/12 12:33 PM
NINERS76

chaplinshouse - 

quit posting.  you're showing your ignorance on insurance, and what fighters have to deal with, while being a dick in the process.  the vast majority of fighters don't earn enough to buy private insurance with "fighter" listed as occupation and the fact you'd compare your job/insurance situation to his deserves the palm de' bitchslap award

and guess what? u CAN start a fund should u need it if your job doesn't pay for something.  karma will probably cock block u though

My big believe is thats fighters need to have a plan B. I know what fighters have to deal with. If i did try to start a fund I would be laughed and told not to ask for handouts. Not bashing anyone just believe that every person should have a plan B. Also im more upset at the Doc doing a surgery he probably knew wouldnt get approved. He screwed the fighter in this case.
12/27/12 12:51 PM
Filo_Beto

crumbs - 
Filo_Beto - 
Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Brian J DSouza -

His numbers are correct,if he is talking about Canada, infact in Canada if you make below a certain amount, you don't pay any monthly fees for basic health care.

And root canals are covered under almost any dental plan in Canada, at the very least 90% covered( and most dental offices will cover that remaining 10% anyways)

Americans, unfortunately health care is a big money business, you don't need to search far to hear a horror story of a 6 figure bill for something as small as a broken arm or foot. I realize there are programs in the states that can help you with such a bill, but the fact That, that 6 figure number is working it way through the system to be later written off in some shady way, is scary.

No , I was referring to the greedy u.s. medical industrial complex.
12/27/12 12:55 PM
Filo_Beto

Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Brian J DSouza -

My numbers are absolutely correct and root canals are 100%, I just double checked. I work for a fortune 150 company. I really don't care if you believe me but these are the facts. Ok finally done hijacking, im not responding anymore, carry on. Phone Post

Please name your Dental insurance I can easily check to see if you are full of shit. After all is said it doesn't negate my original argument anyway.
12/27/12 12:56 PM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - you have to be the worst kind of cnt to work in medical insurance claims assessment; spending all day trying to catch people out on technicalities

years and years ago, right after college, i had a temporary job in the claims department of a large industrial insurance company (im a law grad). There was a huge class action going on, miners with lung disease against X mining company. Our brief was, find the miners who have solid claims - and who have been laid up with emphysema and coughing themselves to death - who have been unable to work, fighting their case for years, and say to them "look, we dont think youve got a case but we will settle right now, goodwill, for £10k" etc

these miners were actually due upwards of £100k each in most cases; but many were so broke and so desperate they took the chickenshit payoff and believed what they were being told

i lasted one day training, the next day working and the day after that every file that came my way that had a legit payoof coming, i phoned them and told them do not under any circumstances accept this payment, pursue your claim to the fullest. On my fourth day i had not long arrived at my desk when security came and removed me from the premises; the phone calls had been monitored

i had money troubles of my own back then but i didnt care, i couldnt have cheated those people like that and i dont know how these medical insurance assessors can live with themselves either. They disgust me. Money is nice and business is business but to completely strip all common sense and human decency from it is disgusting to me.

its another reason i support socialized health care; we have the system here in the UK and you dont hear too much about people getting fucked over on technicalities. Usually its overworked doctors accidentally leaving scissors stitched inside you or something

VTFU

12/27/12 1:08 PM
Jsteven
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Filo_Beto -
Jsteven - 
Brian J DSouza -

Please name your Dental insurance I can easily check to see if you are full of shit. After all is said it doesn't negate my original argument anyway.
Aetna, not sure how the provider is te only thing you need to confirm as im confident there are multiple coverage options. I took a screenshot of my computer when I checked, don't have a blue name but ill try to load it to photobucket later if you are in such disbelief. Phone Post
12/27/12 2:39 PM
Conor Heun
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My doctor didn't screw up or perform an "unnecessary" procedure.

I went to several doctors and he was the first one to tell me that he could get me back in the cage. All the other doctors said that the damage was career ending.

The insurance company said that they would cover the procedures.

Things got sketchy during the second procedure due to the density of my bones and they had to cut me open a lot more than anticipated. That's where all the blood loss and need for transfusion came in.

I was in the hospital recovering for 8 days. I think that when the insurance company saw how long I was in for and how much it was gonna cost they choose to deny the claim.

It was only way after the first two surgeries had been done, and I was heading in for the final surgery that I was notified that they were denying the claim.

As for the people wondering how I could "ask for a handout" in these tough times: I have humbled myself and reached out to my friends, family, and fans in the community for support.

That was not something that was easy to do. I have been a man who handles his business for my whole life and this actually represents an evolution of my soul to humbly admit that I can't do everything on my own.

Most fighters are rugged individuals for whom the idea of outside help or needing anything from others is very troubling. I am no different.

I struggles for weeks with the idea of reaching out to the community and despite the hate on this and other forums, I am glad that I did.

When you open your heart to accept help from others it can be transformative and healing.

I am glad that you haven't had to humble yourself and ask for help, I am glad that you are financially secure. If this ever changes, I hope that you won't feel so trapped by your own pride that you fail to ask your fellow man for help because even that small act of asking for help opens us up to the bounty of the universe.

I will get back up. Thanks for all the support.
12/27/12 2:50 PM
Winston Wolf
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cant believe UFC can pay all these bonuses but not a fighters insurance ? Does Dana know ? suprised Coutores havent offered to help out they rich
12/27/12 2:54 PM
GroundStPound

Good luck, lets hope this gets resolved Phone Post
12/27/12 3:10 PM
MMALOGIC

where does obamacare fit in all this?  didnt that fool promise everyone healthcare?

12/27/12 3:14 PM
CindyO

Jsteven - 
Mike Russell -

Let it be known for the record that Conor holds no ill will towards Zuffa, Strikeforce, or the UFC. They have been nothing but great to him and he isn't trying to target any of them with hhis campaign.

It's unfortunate that their insurance carrier chose to reject his claim for injuries sustained during his fight with Ryan Couture, but it's not surprising. Insurance companies aren't always as level-headed as they should be.

The point of this campaign isn't to makeStrikeforce, the UFC, or Zuffa look bad. It's to help Conor.

If that's the case he might want to change the thread title, goo luck Connor. Phone Post

This x 10.

Cindy

12/27/12 3:29 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thread title is definitely misleading. Working on fixing it and clarifying some missing/misconstrued details. Hold tight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.