UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> The Death of Retail Book Stores....

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/27/12 10:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sloppy2nds
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happens even in the biggest chains...

"No we don't have it in stock, but I can order it and have it for you in a few days...."

"Yeah, so can I...."

Kind of sad, but if actually want to run out get a physical copy of the book I want today, they often can't deliver on that, so what's the point?

12/31/12 1:48 AM
RKing85
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we got 2 big books stores in our town. They are about 3 blocks apart (City of 200,000)

Between the two of them, I very rarely have to order anything I want online.
1/4/13 11:37 PM
raoulDuke
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^your taste must suck
1/6/13 11:14 AM
HULC
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in London, and we have many large book stores, and i still have to go online A LOT to find the books i want.
1/8/13 10:16 PM
Entreri

Edited: 01/08/13 10:16 PM
Kindle. I love my Kindle.

Digital Age.

In a couple of decades, a tablet PC could hold all the written knowledge of the world.
1/9/13 3:42 PM
sloppy2nds
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Kindle is so awesome for impulsive book buys....finished the first and want to start the sequel immediately?  Nothing better than that.  Sometimes I actually want the book itself and I want to get it now, but the bookstores tend to disappoint.

3/4/14 11:55 AM
B17
709 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been doing all my reading from second hand books. Half Price Books here has A LOT of titles.

Been able to find almost everything I need.

However, while Im reading one book I am constantly on the search for the next one and the one after that. I have my next 10 or so books already purchased.

If I see one I like, I buy it. I will get to it eventually.

If they dont have it then I will buy it from B&N. You can check to make sure they have it on their site before you go to that specific store.
4/18/14 1:01 PM
Entreri

Haven't gone to a bookstore in 5 years or so.

Online, so much more convenient, Kindle is the best.

I have no desire to ever own a physical book.
7/23/14 2:17 PM
Willybone
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used bookstores seem to be doing well.

9/2/14 5:16 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I held onto hardcopy books even a year AFTER someone bought me a Kindle! but then I read an "easy" fiction book and I was hooked. Since then I've probably got 250+ books, all immediately accessible, highlighted, notes, etc. It's the greatest thing ever. If it's not on kindle yet, I check Amazon, if not on Amazon, I ebay to find out of print books. Have you been in a large chain book store lately? They're 50% toystores.

That said, I sincerely miss the small specialty bookstore. ex. Franz Bader in DC focused on books on art, art history, architecture, and photography, as well as exhibition catalogs. and there was no place you could find until the era of the internet with such a deep collection of books on such subjects. And if it wasn;t there the AIA bookstore was just a few blocks away. It was perfect for a young architect in the 90's. They closed the doors in '07.

10/6/14 10:10 PM
miller8966

As much as downloading a book is so much easier, there is something about just grabbing a huge cup of coffee and browsing that I really enjoy.
10/31/14 12:43 AM
Mihow
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love going to the Barnes and Noble next to my mall and hope I am never more than 20 min from a bookstore but I only buy maybe 20% of my books from there so yea i'm part of the problem
3/18/15 10:50 PM
HotSteppa

I support the local bookstore in my town. Owned by a family. I order 60% of my stuff through them. If the Barnes and Noble doesn't have it, I order through them. It really sucks, one independent bookshop (new books) left in town.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.