UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Criticism of Brown Pride tat 'moronic'

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
12/27/12 6:05 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

According to the humble former UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez, his tattoo signifies the sacrifices his parents made in order for him to have the opportunity to pursue a better life. However, Velasquez is tired of having to defend his tattoo around every turn.

“That’s definitely a big question that everybody brings up,” said Velasquez admitted during Wednesday’s UFC 155 pre fight press conference. “It’s just like any other question, you answer it a 100 times.”

UFC president Dana White took a characteristically direct shot at critics of the ink.

“People who have a problem with the ‘Brown Pride’ tattoo are morons,” said White. “Come on. It says ‘Brown Pride.’ Big deal. The guy’s proud to be Mexican. I lived in Boston, every Italian was walking around with something Italian on their body. Every guy who was Irish had some Irish tattoo on him, and the list goes on and on.

“It’s ridiculous. This kind of stuff pisses me off. I hate it.”

Read entire article...

Cain Velasquez challenges Junior dos Santos for the UFC Heavyweight championship in the main event of UFC 155, live on PPV Saturday night.

12/27/12 6:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That might make sense if all "brown" people were Mexican Phone Post
12/27/12 6:14 PM
Lazer MMA

You guys realize there is a 'gang' with that name right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnpVOsYHzow

Not saying for or against, just saying
12/27/12 6:15 PM
Malvert the Janitor
932 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here we go again... Phone Post
Sobercuban

ortman166 -  That might make sense if all "brown" people were Mexican Phone Post

^this .. exactly. The Irish/Italian comparison completely missed the mark

It is, however, absurd that it gets brought up over and over.
BigSleep
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheAxeMurderer84 -  Lol can you imagine the flak a white guy would get if he had "white pride" on his chest regardless of what country he heralded from. I think Cain did it purely for his heritage but there is certainly a double standard. Phone Post

derp
12/27/12 6:17 PM
Willin
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gustaff should write WHITE POWER on his chest in sharpie. We'll see precisely how out of control "reverse" racism is then... Phone Post
12/27/12 6:17 PM
vaginal tear
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's pretty simplistic to just call it moronic. There definitely is a double standard when it comes to racial pride. I believe when it's specified to a particular region it's more acceptable.

Irish pride
Norse pride
Swedish pride
Would all be acceptable.
It's the generalization of a color.

White, brown, black that make it more impersonal and more profile based therefore without the given pride of a specific country. Not trying to get into another Pat berry thread. Just my 2 cents. Phone Post
12/27/12 6:21 PM
UGCTT Captain America
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These threads are always fun Phone Post
12/27/12 6:26 PM
UGSlapshot

I think what is moronic is getting that tattoo in the first place.

12/27/12 6:31 PM
The Mammoth
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moronic tattoo is moronic.

Fair play to Dana for sticking up for Cain but its a regrettable tattoo for sure. If it was really about being proud to be Mexican surely it would say 'Mexican Pride'.

As soon as you isolate it to a colour you will have questions asked. There are White, brown and black mexicans... they are certainly not all 'brown' just as English people are not all 'white'. Phone Post
12/27/12 6:31 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. Phone Post
12/27/12 6:32 PM
crumbs

The reason it's not a double standard, is cause brown pride in our history has never been associated with hate groups.

You can put anything next to pride,Asian pride, gay pride, but it won't have the history of white pride, the negativity.

Im sorry white people, some other whiteys messed it up for you, but white pride will always be tainted. And no, you can't have it back.

Just be more specific with your pride, "white" isn't exactly definitive. Irish, English, German, so many words you can put next to pride, Why would you want to group all white people together anyways.

12/27/12 6:33 PM
Lazer MMA

crumbs - The reason it's not a double standard, is cause brown pride in our history has never been associated with hate groups.

You can put anything next to pride,Asian pride, gay pride, but it won't have the history of white pride, the negativity.

Im sorry white people, some other whiteys messed it up for you, but white pride will always be tainted. And no, you can't have it back.

Just be more specific with your pride, "white" isn't exactly definitive. Irish, English, German, so many words you can put next to pride, Why would you want to group all white people together anyways.

12/27/12 6:34 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judge the man by his character. The haters are ridiculous. You would think this forum was people magazines comment section.

The tattoo is about his pride in his culture. People want to ignore the intent behind it. Unless you think he is a racist. Then you happen to be the least perceptive idiot on the planet.

The guy is humble, friendly, somewhat introverted, and a monster in his sport. I feel like a lot of the hate his way is racially tinged at this point. People can't seem to handle a successful Mexican American mma fighter. Its evident MOST of the haters are white
12/27/12 6:35 PM
vaginal tear

Lazer MMA - 
crumbs - The reason it's not a double standard, is cause brown pride in our history has never been associated with hate groups.

Yoghurt

KevinMcAllister -  I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. Phone Post

Voted up for good taste!
Lazer MMA

GregBell  - 
Lazer MMA - 
You guys realize there is a 'gang' with that name right?

Not saying for or against, just saying

The fact that a number of southern mexican gang members have that same tattoo probably doesnthelp, kidding yourself if you think there isnt some racism in play. Cain could have picked a. better tattoo than that same one thousands of known racists thugs display.

Wow it's the same? You sure boss because in some gangs if you were not a member that shit comes of with blades if necessary?
12/27/12 6:38 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vaginal tear -  It's pretty simplistic to just call it moronic. There definitely is a double standard when it comes to racial pride. I believe when it's specified to a particular region it's more acceptable.

Irish pride
Norse pride
Swedish pride
Would all be acceptable.
It's the generalization of a color.

White, brown, black that make it more impersonal and more profile based therefore without the given pride of a specific country. Not trying to get into another Pat berry thread. Just my 2 cents. Phone Post

So much fucking this.  I thought BLAF was better/smarter than this. I can understand being frustrated by the question, but comparing it to NATIONALITIES is actually making Dana look like the morAn here.  

If it was a Mexican flag, or said Mexican Pride, it would be completely different, but it doesn't.  It says "Brown Pride".  Brown is not a country, it's not a nationality, to your point it's not even a fucking region, it's a color.  And that mother-fucker is going to be fielding racist questions his whole life because he just didn't want a Mexican flag....imho it's Cain's fault for getting the stupid tattoo, let him live with it.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with it, but do think the people comparing it to an italian or irish flag tattoo are just fucking slow.  It's completely different.  Regardless of "what it means to him".

12/27/12 6:39 PM
atlantis_ninjah

oh I see, Brown Pride is okay but that company that sponsored Mac Danzig is banned because there were a few sculls and the catholic cross that represented German heritage, there were no swastikas. That cross means catholic church, west coast choppers and Independent skateboard trucks that iv had for 6 years, quality products, seriously.
12/27/12 6:39 PM
ortman166

crumbs - The reason it's not a double standard, is cause brown pride in our history has never been associated with hate groups.

As I said there are many different kinds of "browns" too. And to think there aren't hate groups that arent white is "moronic". Phone Post
12/27/12 6:42 PM
The Mouth

This guy got released from Strikeforce for being a neo nazi.
12/27/12 6:43 PM
Rabid Bunyip
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just glad he wrote it in English so us gringos can read it.

If I ever get some sort of tattoo proclaiming my pride of my Irish-Australian heritage, I'll be sure to be considerate enough to get it done in Spanish.

Nothing speaks louder of ones pride of your country of heritage than a tattoo inscribed in a language foreign to that country I believe.

End sarcasm, I couldn't care less tbh. Phone Post
12/27/12 6:43 PM
The Mouth

12/27/12 6:45 PM
Sobercuban

Edited: 12/27/12 6:49 PM
<blockquote>The Mouth -<br/><br/><br/>This guy got released from Strikeforce for being a neo nazi.</blockquote><br /><br />

No .... he got released for being a convicted sex offender...hell he might have just been on a 1-fight contact ...
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.