UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> What JKD isn't!!!

12/28/12 10:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since so many people disagree on what JKD is, let's see if we can disagree on what it isn't......

1,JKD is not a bunch of vague parable's from some ancient scroll.
2.JKD is not a series of techniques or styles all strung together.
3.JKD is not created by BL
4.JKD is not a fixed pattern
5.JKD is not MMA

Can anyone add to the list?
12/28/12 12:43 PM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6.) JKD is not a finger pointing a way to the moon. Phone Post
12/28/12 2:59 PM
jrrrrr
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKD is not a theory to be tested on paper (or the internet or while you are sitting comfortably in your favorite chair).
12/28/12 5:03 PM
nakmuay26
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKD is not your best Bruce Lee impression.

JKD is not your best Dan Inosanto impression.

JKD is not about impressions.
12/29/12 2:11 AM
markijkd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I only disagree with #3...

JKD was created by BL but maybe not realized by him...

M...
12/30/12 11:05 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Mark thanks for the first disagreement ... :-)

To me, saying BL created JKD is like saying Ben Franklin created electricity, or Newton created gravity...
IMHO these ideas are a distraction from truth and the further you stray from truth the further you stray from function.

JKD is not vague thought
JKD is not poor technique
JKD is not a forum.

Anymore?

1/2/13 6:49 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're wrong about "JKD is not MMA"

MMA is part of some people's JKD. It's not part of others'. It certainly is part of my JKD. I'm guessing that it's not part of yours.

1/3/13 10:23 AM
Joe Maffei

The Gimp - You're wrong about "JKD is not MMA"

MMA is part of some people's JKD. It's not part of others'. It certainly is part of my JKD. I'm guessing that it's not part of yours.

Hi gimp. Without mincing words and circular conversation. MMA is a sport, with rules, regulations and limitations, contrary to JKD concept. Therefor unable to fall under the JKD umbrella.
However, IMHO great value should be placed on the sport of MMA to validate knowledge, skill level, attributes and experience in a controlled environment.

To me saying MMA is JKD is like saying wood is fire...No!!! wood is fuel FOR the fire. And there are other fuels.

But to each his own.... :-)

Have a great 2013
1/3/13 11:33 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe,

I think we're disagreeing over semantics more than anything else.

I'm not saying MMA *alone* is JKD. I'm saying that MMA can be one of the martial systems that make up a person's JKD. Does that make sense?

For example, I think if Bruce Lee was around today, he'd probably incorporate some MMA training methods, techniques, and tactics into his own art. Do you think so?

Take care
1/4/13 11:17 AM
Joe Maffei

Yup!!! ,,,, ;-)
1/5/13 7:13 AM
BigSifu

JKD doesn't exist. Forget about names and get on with the day-to-day business of living.
1/5/13 10:36 AM
Joe Maffei

BigSifu - JKD doesn't exist. Forget about names and get on with the day-to-day business of living.

At times it does.
At times it doesn't.

JKD is like coordination, some have it, some don't. For the ones who have it, it exists.

Nice to hear from you Bigsifu
1/9/13 1:47 PM
jrrrrr
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKD is not to be practised while eating cheetos..

Its heck to get all the orange stuff off your fingers while doing the wooden dummy
...and when is someone going to buy hostess so I can get back to practicing stick work while eating twinkies...?
1/14/13 9:24 AM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

13.) http://www.demandaplan.org/
1/19/13 8:23 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKD is NOT a martial art/system/or methodology that you can learn, train or develop in and become what Bruce Lee demostrated on screen. Mainly becuase what he presented on screen was just as false as any fantasy violence...

Bob Wall, Bolo Yeoung or Chuck Norris would have hurt him really bad in REAL LIFE!

IMHO...

1/20/13 3:57 AM
FatBuddha
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demitrius Barbito - 

JKD is NOT a martial art/system/or methodology that you can learn, train or develop in and become what Bruce Lee demostrated on screen. Mainly becuase what he presented on screen was just as false as any fantasy violence...

Bob Wall, Bolo Yeoung or Chuck Norris would have hurt him really bad in REAL LIFE!

IMHO...

And we have our first comedy moment of 2013 :)

I disagree with all 3. That being said, Chuck Norris is arguable, but Bolo and Bob Wall? GET OUT OF TOWN!! lol
1/21/13 3:50 PM
lloydmtz

I don't think one develops the ability to move like Bruce Lee did by being a "Screen Dragon".
1/22/13 8:07 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lloydmtz - I don't think one develops the ability to move like Bruce Lee did by being a "Screen Dragon".

But you "can" thru cinematography...

BL's father was a stage actor and BL was a child and adult screen actor...

1/25/13 11:22 PM
lloydmtz

I guess you were there so I'll rescind my previous statement.
1/28/13 12:13 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can't shoot like Clint Eastwood without being a gunfighter.
1/30/13 8:46 PM
Demitrius Barbito

John...

Well stated.

I mean... VERY WELL STATED!!! 

Excellent.

Seriously John, you are one of the few I've encountered here who is able to penetrate the nonsense. All of us are at a disadvatage because "we hope, want, expect, need HEROs to show us the way.." BUT, when we get glimpses of the truth - the need for a hero fades little by little. The hero, as we've been trained to see him, does not exsist.

2/1/13 8:53 PM
lloydmtz

I don't need a hero. I mentioned how he moved. Yes everyone on here seems to have be an expert at everything. So I bow to your insight and wisdom concerning a man you've never met.

There are people who teach that move really well and have even trained Pro Fighters. Yet they themselves have never competed. And yes I have personally trained with them. I would assume there couldn't be any way that they could move the way they do much less train Fighters to the Highest Levels because they themselves never competed at those same High Levels?
2/3/13 10:11 AM
BJJSavate

Here is an old article of mine about how JKD should be more than just "Crosstraining" and collecting a bunch of moves. Too many guys that wanted to "train JKD" were really just what I called "Drill Collectors".

"The Myth of Crosstraining"
http://wayofnoway.com/articles_crosstraining.html
2/3/13 12:46 PM
Boyscout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nakmuay26 - 
JKD is not your best Bruce Lee impression.

JKD is not your best Dan Inosanto impression.

JKD is not about impressions.

"JKD is not your best Bruce Lee impression".

Blast there goes 35 years of training down the pan...

Happy new year to everyone, especially in you were here in 2001.

Regards Richard
2/6/13 1:01 PM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 02/06/13 1:02 PM

See my post here 'Is JKD really just Stage Fighting'.

We know of quite a few boxers, for example, that look good shadow boxing, look good in training, but are not very good fighters in the ring. So, while some drills can help hone fighting ability, unless you 'have it', you might not really be a competitive fighter in the ring.

BL perfected unarmed stage fighting so well that I think he might have fooled himself into thinking he was a real fighter. Could he have stood in front of a beginner and scared them - yes. Could he have stood in front of most people and eye-jabbed them - yes.

As far as Bob Wall, I think he had a lot of respect for BL in hard sparring. I don't think Wall would have wanted to really fight BL, but perhaps was not afraid of him. We also have to be forgiving when theoretically pairing up someone with an opponent that was very far out of their weight class.

Imagine though, that Roberto Duran, or Ray Leonard had trained and knew they could fight in training. Do you think -anything- could have kept them out of the ring, even the promise of a job in Hollywood? They were natural fighters. Though BL was tremendously -smart- in not actually fighting (taking on featherweight boxers, for example) and preferring to go into the movies where he knew his cinematic skills and charisma could take him much further, with less danger (even good boxers get hurt).

If you could fight like you imagine BL could would anything kept you from at least entering tournaments to see what you could do against worthy competition? 

So we have to ask, 'why did BL really not fight'?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.