UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> ? regarding Metal Weights and storage...

12/29/12 4:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to set up a gym in my garage. Problem is my garage has no heating and I'm wondering if I need to be worried about climate change negatively effecting my weights/rack which are all metal.

Obviously there will be expansion/contraction but it should be fairly gradual. What I don't know is to what degree (if any) this gradual expansion/contraction will have on my equipment.

Thoughts?
12/29/12 7:18 PM
Chocolate Shatner
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the plates and bars, the bigger is making sure you don't get rust on them. Just occasionally go over them checking for rust spots. Lube your sleeves and regular maintenance.

For your rack, the washer nuts should take care of anything, but in addition to above, just check the connections about once every 2-3 months.

My gym as well has this problem, extreme cold to warmth on a regular basis. I solved part of my problem by buying rubber encased weights, which solves rust on the plates. The rack I check, but the enamel does a good job of maintaining looks and integrity. So, really all I've had to do is lube the bar sleeves.
12/29/12 8:39 PM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.