UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> The Cure

12/30/12 3:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
731 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/30/12 3:58 AM

Did you really think it was going to be guys in make-up? Don't be silly.
2/18/13 11:33 PM
hugomma
1008 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know he has a huge output but, from what I've heard, I appreciate Jarrett's solo stuff more than I actually like it (although he was great with Miles).  This, however, was more soulful and less clinical that what I'm used to from him.

That being said, my god at the horrendous vocalizations that start at 2:16.  What hell's wrong with him?!?  It's cool & charming when Monk does it, but that was god-awful.  I guess it's better than yelling at the audience, which he has a rep for, 

2/19/13 12:24 AM
Ali
731 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, the vocalizing... ruins some recordings of great pianists. Bud Powell, Eddie Palmieri....

I think this trio is really great, and really tuned in to each other, and when it's "on" it's really great music. That tune is a Jarrett original, and one of my favorites of his. There's a CD on which it's the title track, with the microphone not picking up nearly so much of the throat stuff.
2/20/13 9:35 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What, you guys don't wear makeup?
Cuz I don't. But you don't?
Me neither.
2/20/13 2:05 PM
Ali

Only if my eyes are puffy.

Jarrett of course documents and documents and documents... there's a six-CD box set of a stand at the Blue Note with this trio.

Here's disc 6:

Mostly I put this here because of phone conversations about not being able to "get into" Jarrett. And I know the vocalizations are annoying on records where they're loud, but not all of them are. Meanwhile, he skirts close to new age sometimes. But he's a a very high level improviser and sometimes pours out music for hours at a time that's all really good.

I like this disc (above). If impatient, I'd suggest listening to the first tune; then, checking out as much as you're willing to of the one original, Desert Sun, which starts at 32:33. It's a long, trance-y piece which still grooves. But all of this shows Jarrett being crazy creative, both melodically and harmonically, (and it kind of goes without saying that this trio is all one, Borg-like mind meld of a rhythm section).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.