UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana : Goldy out for a while, don't know when back

12/31/12 1:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All of this talk of Mauro made me remember a recent interview he had with Ariel on the MMA hour. I'll have to go back and listen to it again, but I'm pretty sure he was hinting at "new projects" coming up in his future. Maybe he was speaking in code, and there was something said between the lines. Like I said, I'll have to go back and listen later. Phone Post
12/31/12 1:10 PM
Shinsplint
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems to me with all the technical details that Joe brings to the broadcast he is more of a play by play and less of a color commentator these days.

12/31/12 1:11 PM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get well soon Goldie

TheVileOne
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_El Pescadero -  Kenny and Militech would be tremendous Phone Post

They are both color commentators.
JerodR
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rogan and Bas would be cool. Rogan and Anik just didn't mesh well IMO. What about Jim Ross and Rogan? lol
12/31/12 1:18 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty sure a lot of you have no idea what a 'play by play' guy does suggesting a Bas/Rogan duo - MG is the host/MC, Goldberg executes the show script, 'play by play' is more like an old sports name for host, ask Rogan if he could do what MG does, Bas & Rogan are both completely incapable of filling that role...

it takes a 'straight man', I like Todd Harris, Anik is ok (it takes time to build chemistry), Schiavello has that role but has too much personality for it, imo

12/31/12 1:21 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

JerodR - Rogan and Bas would be cool. Rogan and Anik just didn't mesh well IMO. What about Jim Ross and Rogan? lol

Yea, with Bas breaking out into a random Ricky Martin karaoke bit while Rogan disects a ballshot in amazing detail. lol

12/31/12 1:23 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye -  All of this talk of Mauro made me remember a recent interview he had with Ariel on the MMA hour. I'll have to go back and listen to it again, but I'm pretty sure he was hinting at "new projects" coming up in his future. Maybe he was speaking in code, and there was something said between the lines. Like I said, I'll have to go back and listen later. Phone Post

they included him on ShoBox's last event, I hope thats what he was talking about. I cant stand screamers, Rogans bro-yell is enough, the last thing we need is a Gus Johnson or Mauro shit fit mixed in with Rogan

12/31/12 1:24 PM
1800champagne

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye - All of this talk of Mauro made me remember a recent interview he had with Ariel on the MMA hour. I'll have to go back and listen to it again, but I'm pretty sure he was hinting at "new projects" coming up in his future. Maybe he was speaking in code, and there was something said between the lines. Like I said, I'll have to go back and listen later. Phone Post
The new project is Mauro calling boxing. It's already a done deal. Phone Post
12/31/12 1:27 PM
CrocopPleaseRetire
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol people it's always complaining about Goldie and now you miss him? Phone Post
12/31/12 1:30 PM
BigWilliam
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long overdue, hopefully he never comes back. The sport will be better for it.
12/31/12 1:40 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NFL broadcasts with Madden and Summerall were special.

Just like HBO boxing with Lampley, Merchant and Steward.

UFC is Goldberg and Rogan.

You can goof on Madden, pick on Summerall's drinking, go off about Lampley's "Bang, Bang" sayings or Merchant's seeming senility but there was a comfort in their presence.

Goldberg was a comforting presence on UFC broadcasts.

The gladiator is gone and I miss that too as it meant something special was going to air.

The new intro isn't special. It's a highlight reel.

"Face The Pain" in its awful nu-metal core is still a comforting sound as that song means it's on.

That song tells me the PPV is on and makes me feel something that Buffer's "We are live/it's time" has NEVER done.

Goldberg is that as well.

We all have a relative we goof on after being around them at the holidays but we sure are sad they are gone and miss their quirks when it happens.

That's Goldberg and it's one of the last pure things about the UFC and for that, I hope Uncle Mike comes back soon. Phone Post
12/31/12 2:03 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

Sorry but absolutely not. No way are you comparing Goldie and Rogan to Madden and Summerhall. Not on my watch.
There are 2 things that need to be changed for the UFC to be taking seriously as a sport.
Goldie's gotta go
Buffer's gotta be replaced with a real announcer. He's embarrassing. The only reason he got his job was because the owners of SEG thought having another Buffer announcer would lend legitimacy to a freak show.
12/31/12 2:15 PM
Megatherium
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle - 
Zaph -  People calling for Bas need to understand the difference between play-by-play and colour commentary. Phone Post

play-by-play + colour commentary is a tired old formula

pride often had 2 or 3 "color" guys and no pro play by play guys.

2 "color" commentators would kick ass in the ufc.

rogan with bas, chael, quadros, frank shamrock, ect would be better than what we've had, imo

And UFC 42 had Rogan and Baroni.

Best broadcast team eva!!
12/31/12 2:21 PM
Crocop'sLeftLeg

Goldberg is a really bad commentator. Hope he never does the commentary for another UFC event.
12/31/12 2:34 PM
JimmersonzGlove
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EBM - 

Goldy is a play-by-play commentator and Rogan is a color commentator. The problem with bringing guys like Bas, Florian, Mir etc into the picture is that - you would have two play-by-play commentators. Obviously, bringing in Anik was the best available choice, they will likely roll with him for the beginning of 2013. However, I could definitely see them bringing in Mauro incase Anik doesn't end up working out..

Wasn't it rumored that Goldy had been battling a severe drinking problem (or was a recovering alcoholic)? If he relapsed, he's probably heading back to rehab (my guess). I'm sure he'll do an interview with Ariel soon.

Goldy doesn't even do PBP. Rogan does PBP and color, and Goldie hits the plugs and gives back stories and facts on fighters.

12/31/12 2:34 PM
Nexuscrawlers
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not really a fan of Anik's commentary, but imo he made UFC 155 seem much more professional. It felt more like watching a regular sporting event. Phone Post
12/31/12 2:36 PM
BENDOver 209 Top Team #1
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Missing from the last UFC, he was.

12/31/12 2:39 PM
JimmersonzGlove
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye -  All of this talk of Mauro made me remember a recent interview he had with Ariel on the MMA hour. I'll have to go back and listen to it again, but I'm pretty sure he was hinting at "new projects" coming up in his future. Maybe he was speaking in code, and there was something said between the lines. Like I said, I'll have to go back and listen later. Phone Post

I thought he does commentary for Showtime boxing now....that was probably the new project.

12/31/12 3:39 PM
ufc98newb
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeamRenzo4Life - Sorry but absolutely not. No way are you comparing Goldie and Rogan to Madden and Summerhall. Not on my watch.
There are 2 things that need to be changed for the UFC to be taking seriously as a sport.
Goldie's gotta go
Buffer's gotta be replaced with a real announcer. He's embarrassing. The only reason he got his job was because the owners of SEG thought having another Buffer announcer would lend legitimacy to a freak show.

how much did you ever watch madden and summerall? it is funny this was brought up, because people pretty much picked on them/complained the same way they do with Rogan/Goldberg now. Same stuff. Madden constantly talked about his favorites and made extremely obvious comments. Summerall was basically chased into retirement by fans and media saying he'd lost it

12/31/12 3:43 PM
Dmoney35
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeamRenzo4Life - Sorry but absolutely not. No way are you comparing Goldie and Rogan to Madden and Summerhall. Not on my watch.
Goldie's gotta go
you are a complete moron Phone Post
12/31/12 3:45 PM
Vril

ufc98newb - 
TeamRenzo4Life - Sorry but absolutely not. No way are you comparing Goldie and Rogan to Madden and Summerhall. Not on my watch.
Goldie's gotta go

how much did you ever watch madden and summerall? it is funny this was brought up, because people pretty much picked on them/complained the same way they do with Rogan/Goldberg now. Same stuff. Madden constantly talked about his favorites and made extremely obvious comments. Summerall was basically chased into retirement by fans and media saying he'd lost it

Rogan/Goldie >>>>>>> madden/summerall

12/31/12 3:48 PM
Dmoney35
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeamRenzo4Life - Sorry but absolutely not. No way are you comparing Goldie and Rogan to Madden and Summerhall. Not on my watch.
Goldie's gotta go
you think the UFC needs to replace to announcers before it is considered a legit sport?

why would announcers ever matter for sports legitimacy?

dumbest thing I have seen on this site in 2 years Phone Post
12/31/12 3:59 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goldie's gotta go
I am comparing but in a different manner.

Not once did I declare Goldie/Rogan to be as qualified as say Madden/Summerall but rather in that they were comforting.

You knew it mattered when Madden yelled "Boom" and used a telestrator just as when Summerall gave the score.

I'm talking branding and familiarity and Goldberg/Rogan are definitely to UFC broadcasts every bit what Madden/Summerall were because of the comfort and branding.

I agree with you on Buffer and would rather have Jimmy Lennon, Jr. personally.

I'm just sick of everything having to change when it doesn't.

Dick Clark is forever synonymous with New Year's.

But this generation would have replaced him 20 years before he died just to do so.

Why not allow for traditions of some sort so that people know your product based on a music cue or voice?

Coca Cola has their logo because it fucking works and to change colors or font would bust all the years of getting it engrained in our heads.

Worry about what's inside the can for once but maybe leave the outside so that we know what it is without wondering if we should buy something else. Phone Post
12/31/12 4:02 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke

Vril -
ufc98newb - 
Goldie's gotta go

Rogan/Goldie >>>>>>> madden/summerall

Exactly.

THIS was why Goldie/Rogan remind me of Madden/Summerall.

Can anyone name the NFL broadcast teams now?

Not like the games where John and Pat called it.

Mike and Joe are comfortable and sure they play favorites or say ridiculous things but it's far better than a Broadcasting automaton like Anik.

Tomorrow will be full of guys like Anik.

You won't remember them enough to goof on them or miss them if they're gone. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.