UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Cormier could be next for Jon Jones

12/30/12 8:08 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"[Daniel Cormier] is going to bring a lot of excitement to the heavyweight or light heavyweight division," White said following Saturday night's UFC 155 event in Las Vegas. "And he could be next in line to fight Jones."

Cormier earned Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix title with successive victories over Josh Barnett, Antonio Silva and Jeff Monson. He fights again on Jan. 12, when he meets Dion Staring at "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine," which serves as that promotion's final event.

The 5-foot-11 Cormier is undefeated as a professional heavyweight, but he has teased the potential for a drop to 205 pounds. With his American Kickboxing Academy teammate Cain Velasquez reclaiming the UFC's heavyweight title at UFC 155, the move now looks more likely.

“I wouldn’t [fight Cormier]. This is my friend, my teammate and my coach,” Velasquez told Fox Sports while sitting next to his AKA stablemate during a post-fight interview. “If you want to see us fight, go to AKA three days a week.”

White said he won't tell either fighter what they should do next.

"I have so much respect for both of those guys," White said. "They can go wherever they want. If they want to fight each other at heavy, I'm cool with that. If [Cormier] wants to go to 205, I'm cool with that. Either way."

Read entire article...

12/30/12 8:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Snufulufugus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/30/2012...the night DC decides to make first MMA weight cut.
12/30/12 8:15 AM
SJCOTTON
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd punch my grandmother in the throat just to watch the countdown for that fight Phone Post
12/30/12 8:27 AM
RCP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SJCOTTON - I'd punch my grandmother in the throat just to watch the countdown for that fight Phone Post
What would you do to be able to watch that fight?

*unzips* Phone Post
12/30/12 8:28 AM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calling Mike Dolce... Mike Dolce.. Please report to San Jose immediately..
12/30/12 8:29 AM
HandyDarsh
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NOW THAT'S A TEAT FOR JONES.
Aka is back Phone Post
12/30/12 8:30 AM
HandyDarsh
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(Test for jones) ^ Phone Post
12/30/12 8:41 AM
RCP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I want to see JDS Nelson II".

Why do you hate Nelson so much? Phone Post
12/30/12 8:43 AM
Winston Wolf

everyone just assumes he will be the same fighter Thats a big weight cut he wont be the same and Im not even sure he could make 205 He nearly died trying to make 211 in the Olympics Hes older,heavier and thats 6 more pounds
12/30/12 8:47 AM
Sakuraba belt
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" If they want to fight each other at heavy, I'm cool with that. If [Cormier] wants to go to 205, I'm cool with that. Either way."

Haha, so you gonna be cool if they decide to be in the HW division together and rule as no.1 and no.2 whilst never fighting because of the whole teammates thing?

bahaha!
12/30/12 8:51 AM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winston Wolf - everyone just assumes he will be the same fighter Thats a big weight cut he wont be the same and Im not even sure he could make 205 He nearly died trying to make 211 in the Olympics Hes older,heavier and thats 6 more pounds

right but what did he cut from? you can only do so much (20lbs) before it gets really dangerous. If he tried to cut from 240 to 211 (which i have no idea) he could have gotten in some real trouble.
12/30/12 8:51 AM
Smokemonster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC vs Jones is an epic matchup, this fight needs to happen Phone Post
12/30/12 8:53 AM
GarlicSauce

RCP - 
SJCOTTON - I'd punch my grandmother in the throat just to watch the countdown for that fight Phone Post

*unzips* Phone Post

WTF!

UG, you scare me.
12/30/12 8:53 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the fight I most want to happen in any weight div.. DC JBJ Phone Post
12/30/12 9:03 AM
SJCOTTON
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RCP -

*unzips* Phone Post
Someone hold my hat! War Cormier! Phone Post
12/30/12 3:39 PM
Harmon Whistler
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny that even Dana is looking past Chael.. I'm really hoping for an upset just to ruin everyone's plans.

12/30/12 5:21 PM
Winston Wolf

hellride - 
Winston Wolf - everyone just assumes he will be the same fighter Thats a big weight cut he wont be the same and Im not even sure he could make 205 He nearly died trying to make 211 in the Olympics Hes older,heavier and thats 6 more pounds

right but what did he cut from? you can only do so much (20lbs) before it gets really dangerous. If he tried to cut from 240 to 211 (which i have no idea) he could have gotten in some real trouble.

he looks heavier than he did when he cut to 211 and hes older
12/31/12 12:20 AM
SinCityHustler

hellride - 

This right here.  I believe he was cutting close to 30 pounds.  That's just not going to happen now that he's had medical issues as a result of the extreme cut.  I would expect Cormier to get down close to 215 and then work on a cut from there.   

12/31/12 12:24 AM
ChaosOverkill
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendo won't like this

12/31/12 12:28 AM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier vs Marlo ftw

12/31/12 12:35 AM
91W209
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd looooove to see Cormier vs Jones. I got Cormier if it happens. Hw/LHW doesn't matter. Phone Post
12/31/12 12:46 AM
ruggets4nuggets

Fuck it I got Dan. I love me some Emelianegro.
12/31/12 12:51 AM
downunderground
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*assuming jones gets past sonnen Phone Post
12/31/12 12:51 AM
Chris27

Harmon Whistler - 

Funny that even Dana is looking past Chael.. I'm really hoping for an upset just to ruin everyone's plans.

In before undeserved title shots, UFC is a joke giving a guy with 0 wins in a div a title shot etc.
12/31/12 2:34 PM
RKing85
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just hope that Cormier can actually get down to 205.

Could be quite the struggle for him considering he couldn't get down to 210 for the Olympics.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.