UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Leben vs. Brunson on PPV was a mistake

12/30/12 9:53 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Although he voiced personal and professional support for Chris Leben, UFC president Dana White said he regrets his decision to put Leben vs. Derek Brunson on the main card PPV at UFC 155 Saturday night.

"I love Chris Leben, personally and professionally," said White at the post fight press conference. "But tonight, I think I made a mistake putting him on the pay-per-view. I should have had him on the undercard. He's been off with personal problems for a while. He's had a lot of time off, and he looked slow tonight. I wasn't crazy about that fight. That wasn't my favorite fight of the night, that's for damn sure."

"The other kid (Brunson) was looking at the clock like he was a 14-year-old waiting for school to get out the entire fight – looking at the clock. You're in the UFC your first time, and I wasn't very impressed."

"There was another fight that was starting the show, and I switched it. Believe me, Joe Silva ran over and let me know he told me that. And he was right. Joe, you're smart, I'm dumb – I get it."

"Chris Leben loves to fight – there's no doubt about that," he said. "The biggest challenge in Chris Leben's life is battling his demons. We try to help him as much as we can. I love the kid."

Read entire article...

12/30/12 9:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that matchup was a mistake period.

should have been Leben vs Robbie Lawler

12/30/12 9:59 AM
Barbalos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont be too hard on them it wasnt the worst fight i ever saw
12/30/12 10:13 AM
MdGeist

Brunson's reaction after the clock ran out was rediculous, acting like had just put on an amazing performance by running down the clock like a coward 

Fucking made me sick

12/30/12 10:23 AM
Pessimist_Pete

MdGeist -

Brunson's reaction after the clock ran out was rediculous, acting like had just put on an amazing performance by running down the clock like a coward 

Fucking made me sick

Agreed. I knew the fight was going to suck when I saw Jackson walking out with him Phone Post
12/30/12 10:31 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We got Brunsoned.
12/30/12 10:32 AM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People that compared Brunson to Okami apparently cant tell the diff bet passing guard and not.
12/30/12 10:36 AM
PeteyWheatstraw
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Or just don't have Leben on the card."

Right? His fascination with Leben is odd and it probably affected his judgement. Maybe his plan was that Leben would land a bomb KO and everyone would love Leben as much as he does. Kind of ridiculous. Reminds me of a company where the boss keeps giving his nephew numerous chances to impress even though the opposite usually happens. You kind of expect that sort of thing at a restaurant or a carwash, not so much in the fight game.
12/30/12 10:43 AM
Ktaco
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana sounds like a baby because his boy Leben lost. Was it the most exciting fight? No. Don't shit on the guy that won just because it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. Brunson had reason to celebrate. He won his debut fight in the UFC against someone they were basically feeding him to.
12/30/12 10:55 AM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leben usually makes for the kind of fights that the Tapout, casual fans like: he gets hit a lot and swings back with big punches

Do people still want scripted fights or what? In sports, things dont always turn out as planned
12/30/12 10:59 AM
Tomato Can
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leben looked like his normal self, only fighting underwater. If he can't perform any better than that without the juice, he's done.
12/30/12 11:02 AM
Blazing Knees

I love Leben too.

But he hade 13 months to get better-he has his own gym and world class partners to choose from in HA.

He didn't move forward, didn't throw left hooks, showed nothing on the ground, didn't push his man aginst the cage and dirty box/foot stomp etc.

That was NOT Chris Leben out there last nite
12/30/12 11:02 AM
Cojendo
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I liked the fight. It looked insanely grueling, just like the okami belcher fight.

That being said, I would have rather seen the Pickett fight on the main card. Phone Post
12/30/12 12:12 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yet another reason Dana should stick to promoting and let Joe Silva do the match making and card lineups.

I like Dana, and as Prez he's certainly within his right to give input, but let Silva do his thing. His judgment is usually pretty spot on. Phone Post
12/30/12 12:19 PM
epwar
584 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!  Dana is just mad Leben didn't get the highlight reel KO they were hoping for when they put in a guy who got KO'd by Jacare.  Props to Bruson for winning, too bad he is on Dana's shit list now.  "You weren't exciting enough for me in you win!"  

12/30/12 12:26 PM
B_Goetz

DamnSevern - 

that matchup was a mistake period.

should have been Leben vs Robbie Lawler

Lawler is a welterweight now. He's currently training for a fight with Koscheck.
12/30/12 12:58 PM
bradu
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leben is my favorite fighter to watch and cheer for...but let's face it, he's not a title challenger, he's a guy who has to have the right matchup to have an exciting fight. Yes, Lawler or a Scott Smith type would have been perfect.

12/30/12 1:06 PM
grafzep
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Leben but that fight stunk and I am sure he would say the same. I think he will rebound and I agree that he should be given a striker next
12/30/12 3:04 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lawler dropped from 185 and I don't think that would be a good fight for a returning, rusty, Chris Leben. 

I liked the match up on paper, just thought Brunson would bring it a lot more than he did. 

12/30/12 3:16 PM
da Vinci 81
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - People that compared Brunson to Okami apparently cant tell the diff bet passing guard and not.

Passing guard doesn't mean much when the most you do with it is shoulder shrugs from sidemount. Not till the end when he got full mount and postured up for ground and pound did Okami even make an effort to finish that fight.
12/30/12 3:32 PM
Soul Gravy

It was obvious from the start this was not a good matchup for PPV card. Why it made the cut is beyond me.
12/30/12 3:43 PM
JuniorCallMeMaybe

Brunson is the new time to take a pee/poop/drink break. Phone Post
12/30/12 7:59 PM
Gator Choke
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brunson now finds himself in Dana's dog house. Not good. Wait till it comes time for his next fight. They'll toss him in there with someone who stylistically, he has little shot of beating.
12/31/12 12:47 AM
Colboyo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the end of the fight Rogan said Leben made a funny face when Brunson screamed then fell over.
12/31/12 12:55 AM
Colboyo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/fights/Chris_Leben_vs_Derek_Brunson_UFC_155_Part_4/10048105

check it at 5:40 but you can't see Leben's face

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.