UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Leben vs. Brunson on PPV was a mistake

12/31/12 11:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bradu
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kinda sucks for the guy to come in and win his debut in an upset against a name fighter, and still be in the doghouse. But then Dana has made it quite clear that being exciting is more important than winning.

12/31/12 11:54 AM
rexthedog
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Derek take it on short notice too? Cut him some slack...he beat a vet on his UFC debut. Look forward to seeing him again, better conditioned, to get an idea of his real potential. Phone Post
12/31/12 12:57 PM
Farewell Brock
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 -
Wasa-B - People that compared Brunson to Okami apparently cant tell the diff bet passing guard and not.

Passing guard doesn't mean much when the most you do with it is shoulder shrugs from sidemount. Not till the end when he got full mount and postured up for ground and pound did Okami even make an effort to finish that fight.
Or get sttod up in side control. Phone Post
12/31/12 2:05 PM
Phil Cornelius
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS has to be the only sport I know of that the president and most fans bitch about how the person wins...If I fight a KO artist I'm going to do the same tire dude out on the ground until later I can work a finish smart move by a new guy who's fighting a VET...

Once again MIXED MARTIAL ARTS has to be the only sport I know of that the president and most fans bitch about how the person wins
12/31/12 2:30 PM
epwar
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel bad for Brusnon as he is getting screwed six ways to Sunday. Dude gets the call on 8 days notice, yet Joe Silva & Dana are basically setting him up as cannon fodder for Leben to open the PPV. So he gets on the biggest stage, but they want him to lose. He uses a gameplan to make sure he wins. Then Dana publically hates on him (because he didn't get the Leben 1st round KO he wanted) and almost ensures he'll be on a prelim and cut within his next two fights, win or lose.
12/31/12 2:44 PM
PeteyWheatstraw
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil Cornelius - MIXED MARTIAL ARTS has to be the only sport I know of that the president and most fans bitch about how the person wins...If I fight a KO artist I'm going to do the same tire dude out on the ground until later I can work a finish smart move by a new guy who's fighting a VET...

Once again MIXED MARTIAL ARTS has to be the only sport I know of that the president and most fans bitch about how the person wins

It really is pretty damn ridiculous.
12/31/12 4:06 PM
CindyO

DamnSevern - 

that matchup was a mistake period.

should have been Leben vs Robbie Lawler

I like this!

Cindy

12/31/12 4:11 PM
CindyO

B_Goetz - 
DamnSevern - 

that matchup was a mistake period.

should have been Leben vs Robbie Lawler

Lawler is a welterweight now. He's currently training for a fight with Koscheck.

I still want to see a catch-weight between Kos and Leben as well as a rematch of Swick VS Leben.

Cindy

12/31/12 4:18 PM
Phisher

Pessimist_Pete - 
MdGeist -

Brunson's reaction after the clock ran out was rediculous, acting like had just put on an amazing performance by running down the clock like a coward 

Fucking made me sick

Agreed. I knew the fight was going to suck when I saw Jackson walking out with him Phone Post

I felt the same thing when I saw Jackson in Erik Perez's corner. What a boring piece that fight was too.............oh wait nevermind.

Seriously, this "Greg Jackson is the devil" meme that MMA smarks have going on has long sinced passed the point of absurdity.

12/31/12 4:31 PM
Phisher

Edited: 12/31/12 6:03 PM
epwar - I feel bad for Brusnon as he is getting screwed six ways to Sunday. Dude gets the call on 8 days notice, yet Joe Silva & Dana are basically setting him up as cannon fodder for Leben to open the PPV. So he gets on the biggest stage, but they want him to lose. He uses a gameplan to make sure he wins. Then Dana publically hates on him (because he didn't get the Leben 1st round KO he wanted) and almost ensures he'll be on a prelim and cut within his next two fights, win or lose.

The shit that Brunson is getting from DFW is more proof that this isn't a real sport. The head of the promotion and the fans are pissed that dude didn't go out there and stick his chin up in the air for Leben to land a money shot.

Bruson is a relatively inexperienced fighter who took the fight on almost no notice. While he didn't look great in there, people are exaggerating how bad his performance was. He advanced position when he took Leben down and landed damaging shots on the ground. He also outlanded Leben and connected with hard shots when they were standing. If I hadn't watched the fight, I would assume that Brunson went in there and pulled the same act that Starnes did against Quarry based on the reaction to the fight. It's mind-boggling that Leben is getting no flack at all for looking like he was drunk in that fight and doing very little besides throwing an occasional lunging punch against a guy who was brought in specifically to make him look good.

And LOL @ the people who are feigning indignation about Brunson being happy that he won the fight. Dude had shit year. He got jobbed against Grove, KO'd by Jacare and was prevented from being on TUF because he was under contract with Strikeforce like a month before it was announced the promotion was ending. Then he ends up getting a call to fight in the UFC when he hasn't been training at all and actually manages to win when everybody expected him to get slept in the first round. Yeah, how dare that guy celebrate?

MMA fans are the biggest assortment of douchebags on the fucking planet.

12/31/12 6:41 PM
epwar
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/31/12 6:43 PM
Ryann Von Doom - 
epwar - I feel bad for Brusnon as he is getting screwed six ways to Sunday. Dude gets the call on 8 days notice, yet Joe Silva & Dana are basically setting him up as cannon fodder for Leben to open the PPV. So he gets on the biggest stage, but they want him to lose. He uses a gameplan to make sure he wins. Then Dana publically hates on him (because he didn't get the Leben 1st round KO he wanted) and almost ensures he'll be on a prelim and cut within his next two fights, win or lose.

I'm sorry that we wanted a finish.. Bad news is, as MMA fans we expect the fighters to finish. Not all fighters can be or get the finish, but the attempt to is what matters. Brunson did fuck all with his take downs.. even shown looking at the clock with his head down on chris' chest.. You won't see me say that Chris was robbed, you'll only see me say that us as fans were robbed of enjoyment by Brunson's lack of anything in that fight.

But can you blame Brunson?  He wanted to win in the biggest opportunity of his career.  Unfortunately for him, he works for a guy who is a vindictive power freak who gets pissy when things do go like he planned them so Brunson's career is pretty much dead now.   The sad part is no MMA media will stand up to Dana.  No one said, "It is a sport.  Isn't the ultimate (haha) goal to win?"

12/31/12 8:55 PM
Farewell Brock
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 -
Wasa-B - People that compared Brunson to Okami apparently cant tell the diff bet passing guard and not.

Passing guard doesn't mean much when the most you do with it is shoulder shrugs from sidemount. Not till the end when he got full mount and postured up for ground and pound did Okami even make an effort to finish that fight.
Or get sttod up in side control. Phone Post
1/1/13 12:44 AM
YHTOMIT2001
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The objective is to win. As a fighter you would love to finish everyone but this isn't a video game and it doesn't always work out that way Phone Post
1/1/13 1:28 AM
YHTOMIT2001
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryann Von Doom -
YHTOMIT2001 -  The objective is to win. As a fighter you would love to finish everyone but this isn't a video game and it doesn't always work out that way Phone Post

The objective is to win, yes.. but also to finish. You don't always get that, but you make the attempt to at any chance you have.. Brunson did not, not even once. 

He came into a fight on like 8 days notice where they were clearly trying to feed him to a big name. He did what he had to do and won. That's the way it goes sometimes Phone Post
1/1/13 2:29 AM
aluminum_rooster

only thing Dana appreciates is when he looks real smart....

Brunson is as one dimensional as Leben....anyone that has good jits and TDD will terrorize him.

I am SICK of watching fighters who aren't well rounded.

Yo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.