UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Walking good for cardio?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/30/12 1:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/30/12 1:34 PM

I moved this post to the correct forum

Hi,Is walking considered good for cardio? I know it is an effective calorie burner. Is there research to support brisk walking is effective in lowering resting heart rates?I have been reading work done by Joel Jamieson I wondered if walking had its benefits also. I'm sure for someone who is unfit walking will have immediate benefits. But for more elite atheletes is it effective? I know Steven Maxwell goes for 10,000 steps per day. Anyone else use long walks when running is inconvenient/painful?
12/30/12 6:00 PM
Leigh
1186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you've been reading joel Jamieson, you'll know he advocates the 130-150 range. Strap on a hrm and see what walking does for you

Hint: unless you're an unhealthy fatty or walking up a hill, you won't be close to that range. Walking might help reduce your chance of heart disease but it won't make tiu an athlete Phone Post
12/30/12 6:51 PM
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed I don't think the 130-150 range is achieved with walking. Certainly not for me anyway.

12/31/12 12:30 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

walking at a fast pace on an incline can get your heart rate up pretty high. set a treadmill to 15 incline and 4mph and walk for 30 minutes and see how high your heart rate gets.
12/31/12 1:54 PM
vermonter
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It really depends on the situation. Leigh is mostly correct, but also a small guy so walking benefits him a lot less. As a heavier guy with big feet i can maintani 110 bpm pretty easily with a brisk walk. If i've run a mile or more I can slow to a quick walk and easily stay over 130.

If there's a hill, or you walk very very fast it's certainly reasonable, but you may be talking about something more casual. I would say that if you can keep your HR in the neighborhood of 100 - 130 then walking will provide a substantial benefit if you do it enough, but will be an adjunct to cardio at a higher HR, not a replacement.

IIRC at about 5 mph walking becomes less efficient than running and thus, velocity for velocity, is a better workout than running. However, walking at that speed or faster for any length of time is extremely difficult. The people that win walking marathons blow my mind with averages over 9 mph.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.