UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: Bad scoring kills my business

12/30/12 5:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Saturday night, judge Adalaide Byrd provided White with his ammunition for the evening with her scoring of Jamie Varner vs. Melvin Guillard fight. While judges Mark Smith and Cecil Peoples scored the bout 30-27 in favor of Varner, Byrd saw the fight 30-27 the other way.

"The fight capital of the world," White practically spit. "30-27 Guillard. It's unacceptable. It's a joke. It's literally a joke. Seriously, the athletic commission must want to dig a f---in' hole and bury themselves when someone says 30-27 Guillard. They should want to dig a hole and bury themselves."

"It kills my business," White said. "Manny Pacquiao lost a fucking decision in that fight, and what happens is, the first thing you think is, and I hate Bob Arum, I can't stand that f---ing guy. He didn't fix that fight. He had nothing to do with it. I'd love to sit here and b---- and say ‘Bob Arum rigged it and he did this'. He didn't.

"It's decisions like this and the 30-27 Guillard tonight that just, it does kill you. People think that it's us. A lot of people aren't educated on the fact that the Nevada state athletic commission actually picks these people and allows them to keep judging fights."

read entire article...

12/30/12 5:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fact that comission selection members (Whoever they are) get to keep putting incompetent idiots as judges screams intent to ruin the sport to me or a corruption so bad that it makes organized crime pale in comparison.

12/30/12 5:34 PM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/30/12 5:34 PM

Like I've pointed out before, before the last Pacquaio fight Keith Kizer held a special seminar on Judging boxing so that it wouldn't ruin the fight. (yes I get that boxing has more money involved but still)

WHERE IS THE SEMINAR FOR MMA? YOU INCOMPETENT ASSHOLE!

12/30/12 5:47 PM
TexDeuce
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How in the holy fuck is Adelaide Bird a judge? I've wondered this for years. Phone Post
12/30/12 5:47 PM
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's nice to see the judging come under more scrutiny, especially by TPTB.

12/30/12 6:02 PM
hogh20

I don't know much if any at all, about the need for sanctioning bodies. But is there a reason that the UFC can't have somebody other than the NSAC sanction their events? Why do they even need sanctioning bodies in the first place?
12/30/12 6:05 PM
Authority Figure

hogh20 - I don't know much if any at all, about the need for sanctioning bodies. But is there a reason that the UFC can't have somebody other than the NSAC sanction their events? Why do they even need sanctioning bodies in the first place?

Those santioning bodies are a large part of the reason MMA is allowed in most states.

12/30/12 6:05 PM
Authority Figure

Scoring seems to be getting worse. It appears some judges either don't understand or are purposefully scoring badly to "stick it" to the UFC and other promoters.

12/30/12 6:06 PM
Tractor
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with uncle dana Phone Post
12/30/12 6:10 PM
ChaosOverkill

The UFC should threaten to pull all fights from a state if they won't blacklist certain judges like Byrd

12/30/12 6:14 PM
yellow's Overseer
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NSAC needs to let retired or current MMA fighters judge MMA fights. Phone Post
12/30/12 6:18 PM
6ULDV8

They make their horrible decisions and then disappear into the abyss and no one says anything.

Kudos for this making the UG blog and naming names.  Horrible judges need to be named and held responsible.  We can't just say 'the judging' and leave it at that.

Thank goodness Cecil, who was judging the same fight, didn't pull a smoothie or Varner would have been robbed.

That was either a payoff or a retard.  Either way Byrd proved beyond the shadow of a doubt she has no business judging MMA fights.  I'd love to hear how she defends that judgment.

12/30/12 6:19 PM
jv071481
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes I wonder if they just get confused which fighter is which. Maybe it was supposed to be the other way. Phone Post
12/30/12 6:20 PM
hogh20

Authority Figure - 
hogh20 - I don't know much if any at all, about the need for sanctioning bodies. But is there a reason that the UFC can't have somebody other than the NSAC sanction their events? Why do they even need sanctioning bodies in the first place?

Those santioning bodies are a large part of the reason MMA is allowed in most states.

Thanks for the response, but you didn't answer anything I asked. I know there are sanctioning bodies needed. I know they were necessary, especially in the beginning years, to get MMA out of the "Dark Ages" and into the mainstream. But are they still necessary? Why?
12/30/12 6:20 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow's Overseer - NSAC needs to let retired or current MMA fighters judge MMA fights. Phone Post
I don't think that's necessarily the best way to go, former athletes have their own biases as well. They just need to make these judges go through an intense scoring "school" in order to make sure they understand everything they are seeing as well as defining the scoring material as best as possible. Doesn't really seen that hard to do to me either?

And thanks for the blue name! You're the man Phone Post
12/30/12 6:25 PM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i googled her. she fucks up boxing scores too.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/russ_anber/?id=362037
12/30/12 6:39 PM
Il Duce
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30-27 Melvin Guillard. Phone Post
12/30/12 6:42 PM
NINERS76

jv071481 -  Sometimes I wonder if they just get confused which fighter is which. Maybe it was supposed to be the other way. Phone Post

i dont think that was the case with melvin vs jamie. cecil peoples rubbed his luck on her before the fight
12/30/12 6:46 PM
stonepony

ChaosOverkill - 

The fact that comission selection members (Whoever they are) get to keep putting incompetent idiots as judges screams intent to ruin the sport to me or a corruption so bad that it makes organized crime pale in comparison.

No... It's just a bureaucratic government body. Therefor they aren't concerned with things like credibility or accountability or quality. They're dysfunctional for the same reason the DMV and our public schools are dysfunctional. They don't have to perform to get paid.
12/30/12 6:47 PM
Barbalos

That was terrible
12/30/12 6:49 PM
Nocturnal

This isn't the first time Byrd has fucked up a score like this. Phone Post
12/30/12 6:50 PM
Nocturnal

They should at least sit her down and ask her to explain why she scored it that way. Phone Post
12/30/12 6:56 PM
Blazing Knees

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
yellow's Overseer - NSAC needs to let retired or current MMA fighters judge MMA fights. Phone Post
I don't think that's necessarily the best way to go, former athletes have their own biases as well. They just need to make these judges go through an intense scoring "school" in order to make sure they understand everything they are seeing as well as defining the scoring material as best as possible. Doesn't really seen that hard to do to me either?

And thanks for the blue name! You're the man Phone Post

Yeah as far as former fighters judging-no. I'm biased just based on who I want to win, I would really be biased if I was judging a guy I lost to!
12/30/12 7:10 PM
stonepony

IMO the vast majority of fighters are honorable and could be trusted to judge fights. They could be recused when it came to judging a fight where bias was an issue (they would ask to be replaced).

Think about it... When was the last time you saw an intentional foul? They're very rare. In 99% of the cases, the fighter immediately admits to a stray kick landing low, whether the ref saw it or not. Often, if the ref didn't see it, you'll see the ref look to the fighter who threw the low-blow. Why? Because they admit to it.

How many times have you seen a fighter complain and deny it? How many times have you seen a fighter argue or even make a face when the fight gets stopped for a low blow? The few times somebody has protested, it's probably because they believed the strike was clean. Not because they were trying to get away with it.
12/30/12 7:36 PM
FoxyReiller

Whoever gave JDS 45 points against Cain is just as bad. The first 2 rounds were debatable 10 - 7s but no more than 10 - 8s. JDS didn't mount any sort of attack and not much defence. How can someone can score that the same as a close round. Unless he gave a 10 - 8 for the first and a 10 - 10 in one of the later rounds.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.