UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> This is it...

12/31/12 7:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
weepingbeaver
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No messing around this time. I'm having one more go at getting fit before I pack it all in and embrace being a lard arse.

I am 34, 6 foot tall, currently weighing 185 pounds with about 22% bodyfat. Naturally lean frame but have a gut that makes me look five months pregnant. Tried getting in shape before, got close, this is last attempt.

Nothing fancy about my plans, a mixture of running and compound lifts a few times a week. Diet will focus on eggs, chicken, tuna, brown pasta, beans and broccoli. No alcohols till weekends, however I am very partial to white wine.

Any support would be great. Criticism can spur just as equally.

Hope you all have a great 2013. Phone Post
12/31/12 10:05 AM
Wiggy
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My main piece of advice is to keep your mindset right.

Keep the long-game in mind.  This is a marathon - not a sprint.  It took you quite a while to get where you are, so it will take you quite a while to fix it.  And this is fine - just don't get frustrated if (when) you're not looking like Mr. Universe in 21 days.  

(Modern culture breeds the need for immediate gratification these days, and that's just not how things will work.)

You can do it and will get there - just keep the goal the goal.

Good luck!!

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

12/31/12 10:06 AM
banco

How do you look fat at 185 and 6 ft?
12/31/12 10:07 AM
weepingbeaver

banco - How do you look fat at 185 and 6 ft?
Any weight I put on goes straight to my gut. It needs to go. Phone Post
12/31/12 10:08 AM
weepingbeaver

Wiggy -

My main piece of advice is to keep your mindset right.

Keep the long-game in mind.  This is a marathon - not a sprint.  It took you quite a while to get where you are, so it will take you quite a while to fix it.  And this is fine - just don't get frustrated if (when) you're not looking like Mr. Universe in 21 days.  

(Modern culture breeds the need for immediate gratification these days, and that's just not how things will work.)

You can do it and will get there - just keep the goal the goal.

Good luck!!

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

Thanks man. Good advice. Phone Post
12/31/12 2:32 PM
Madakira
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GIVING UP! I barely started putting on muscle until I hit 31-32. I was always super strong, but never really big. These last few years I have been putting on size and strength pretty easy. Just because you are 34, don't think it is all downhill. This is the time when you go to the gym and start putting up massive numbers. I am 35 and the strongest and best looking I have ever been. Give yourself a year and see what happens. You will be surprised. Most important of all, stick with it. Keep your workouts short and simple. I usually do 2 body parts a day. 2 exercises each body part for 5 sets of 6-10 reps. Nothing fancy. Just deadlifts & bent over rows or chin ups, squats & romanian deadlift, bench (incline&flat), shoulderpress behind and in front, ez bar curls, and skull crushers. I may throw in some overhead extensions for triceps. I also do rope crunches between as many sets as possible. SUper simple will keep you growing, getting stronger, and not dreading the gym. Only an hour a day. That is it!
12/31/12 5:36 PM
Leigh
759 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your gut is from your diet. Lift weights and eat clean - drop the pasta and alcohol. Do cardio if you want to be fitter/healthier.

If you do not change your diet, you will get frustrated at your lack of progress and quit Phone Post
1/1/13 4:51 AM
weepingbeaver

Leigh - Your gut is from your diet. Lift weights and eat clean - drop the pasta and alcohol. Do cardio if you want to be fitter/healthier.

If you do not change your diet, you will get frustrated at your lack of progress and quit Phone Post
Agreed mate. Will struggle to cut alcohol out altogether at weekends, but will certainly cut down.

Hoping to share any progress/failures once a month. Phone Post
1/1/13 5:04 AM
Leigh
759 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck :)

*tucks into chocolate cake for breakfast* Phone Post
1/1/13 7:51 AM
weepingbeaver

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Phone Post
1/1/13 6:21 PM
BALLSDEEP
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Madakira - DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GIVING UP! I barely started putting on muscle until I hit 31-32. I was always super strong, but never really big. These last few years I have been putting on size and strength pretty easy. Just because you are 34, don't think it is all downhill. This is the time when you go to the gym and start putting up massive numbers. I am 35 and the strongest and best looking I have ever been. Give yourself a year and see what happens. You will be surprised. Most important of all, stick with it. Keep your workouts short and simple. I usually do 2 body parts a day. 2 exercises each body part for 5 sets of 6-10 reps. Nothing fancy. Just deadlifts & bent over rows or chin ups, squats & romanian deadlift, bench (incline&flat), shoulderpress behind and in front, ez bar curls, and skull crushers. I may throw in some overhead extensions for triceps. I also do rope crunches between as many sets as possible. SUper simple will keep you growing, getting stronger, and not dreading the gym. Only an hour a day. That is it!

47 posts in 13 year...not bad:)
1/2/13 7:47 AM
weepingbeaver

First run out of the way. Pathetic 2.8 miles in an even more pathetic 28 minutes. But hey, we are off. Phone Post
1/2/13 9:42 AM
Leigh

That's good for a first run. I do 10 minute miles and just increase mileage Phone Post
1/2/13 10:04 AM
weepingbeaver

Leigh - That's good for a first run. I do 10 minute miles and just increase mileage Phone Post
Thanks for the encouragement. Using Nike app to help me. Pretty good as you can up your targeted distance each time. Phone Post
1/3/13 10:53 AM
weepingbeaver

Heading out for first weights session. Keeping it simple, squats, presses and rows. 5 sets x 6-10 reps. Resting for 2 minutes between sets. Dreading it.

Promise the stop updating now lol. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:13 PM
Leigh

RIP your legs tomorrow Phone Post
1/3/13 2:50 PM
weepingbeaver

Leigh - RIP your legs tomorrow Phone Post
Not having to wait till tomorrow. Legs of fucking stone this evening. Phone Post
1/3/13 7:01 PM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats a lot of sets/reps for a first workout. Be careful not to overdue it.
1/4/13 2:26 AM
weepingbeaver

You were both right. Couple of rest days needed. Ouch! Phone Post
1/4/13 5:08 PM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/04/13 5:15 PM
Id recommend the Starting Strength 3x5 (3x a week) route until you plateau. Youll build your lift weights rapidly and be ready for more complex/involved routines. 5x10 is a lot of work for a specific muscle grouping, even for seasoned lifters. With proper form and intensity you could easily cut those reps in half.
1/5/13 5:26 AM
weepingbeaver

The Kangaroo - Id recommend the Starting Strength 3x5 (3x a week) route until you plateau. Youll build your lift weights rapidly and be ready for more complex/involved routines. 5x10 is a lot of work for a specific muscle grouping, even for seasoned lifters. With proper form and intensity you could easily cut those reps in half.
Thanks for the tip mate. I have been lifting on and off for a few years, just without any consistency. Will see how it develops.

Appreciate all the support for the forum. Phone Post
1/6/13 11:07 PM
dizz
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck bro you seem to have a good plan Phone Post
1/7/13 1:12 AM
weepingbeaver

dizz - Good luck bro you seem to have a good plan Phone Post
Thanks mate. Hopefully I can stick to it this time round. Phone Post
1/7/13 8:36 AM
Wiggy
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How are things going?
1/7/13 3:38 PM
weepingbeaver

Okay so far. Decided on a pattern of running, weights the following day then rest day. The running is what kills me the most as I don't really enjoy it, but would like to be fitter as well as losing some weight. Finding the dieting and no weekday alcohol hard. But managed to make a bottle of white wine last all weekend which is a serious cut down for me. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.