UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Ever use lockdown on outside of the leg?

12/31/12 2:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
misterw
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always used a 1/2 guard lockdown as shown by Eddie Bravo (your inside leg goes over your own leg and under his).

I had a chance recently to work with a high level blackbelt with a great half guard game who always does it the other way -- the leg on the outside is the one that goes over your own and under his. One advantage seemed to be a smoother transition between lockdown halfguard and a more shallow, knee blocking halfguard. The inside leg stays in one place, and the outside leg can move back and forth between locking down or putting the knee up in front to keep the opponents weight off of you.

Ever use a lock down on the outside? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
12/31/12 2:42 PM
Biggy
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

advantage is its quicker to put on esp if u need to buy yourself time. disadvantage is that he can spin his leg out easier. Phone Post
12/31/12 5:03 PM
EddieBravo
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv
The only time I use the outside lockdown is on my weak side because its easier to hit the kamikaze leg lock with the lockdown on the outside and that's my go2 when playing weak side 1/2guard Phone Post
12/31/12 6:08 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/31/12 6:17 PM
EddieBravo -  The only time I use the outside lockdown is on my weak side because its easier to hit the kamikaze leg lock with the lockdown on the outside and that's my go2 when playing weak side 1/2guard Phone Post

i talk shit about eddies advertisement ,,but i will take his 1/2 guard game advice as some of the best in the world ,hes always had a great 1/2 guard game

12/31/12 8:22 PM
mikehotel
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I do that too, both sides, I think it works just as good. It can be faster to transition into as well, dunno why Phone Post
12/31/12 11:24 PM
bignightmare
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im not Eddie but I have a pretty good half guard game and almost always play lockdown from outside as you describe.
1/1/13 2:55 AM
misterw
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bignightmare - Im not Eddie but I have a pretty good half guard game and almost always play lockdown from outside as you describe.

u go back and forth between knee in front blocking and lockdown on the outside?
1/1/13 1:41 PM
ceoJUSTGIPANTSdotCOM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like the outside lockdown also,i think it is easier to use this version in combination with a traditional half guard as well as a butterfly half. most of the time i use it to stretch the guy out to make it easier to put in my butterfly hook and then transition fully to butterfly guard. if you dont like butterfly or traditional half,then the inside lockdown is probably better for you.
1/1/13 7:01 PM
bignightmare
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

misterw - 
bignightmare - Im not Eddie but I have a pretty good half guard game and almost always play lockdown from outside as you describe.

u go back and forth between knee in front blocking and lockdown on the outside?

Yep thats pretty much my half guard game.
1/1/13 8:57 PM
Shemhazai
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lockdown on the outside is basically an instep butterfly guard (triangling the legs being optional).
1/1/13 10:11 PM
shiki31
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the lockdown on the inside it makes transitioning to xguard Phone Post
1/2/13 10:28 AM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I can't do Eddie's lockdown I'd rather have a butterfly hook.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.