UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Workout question and overtraining

12/31/12 2:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grappler2010
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/31/12 3:02 PM

Long time no type of this forum.. years? Must be.. Well I'm back.

I've recently started to get back in shape at 43 working out with 25 lbs dumbells and doing a whole body workout for 40 min, plus 20-30 min cardio.

At first i was recovering well, but over the past 3 days I've increased my poundages by to 30 lbs dumbells and eating more protein, and while I feel I am becoming more muscular I am finding myself phsyically and mentally drained.

I know this might be classic overtraining, but I don't know if rest is just the answer.. do you think I am simply doing too much regardless of rest ? I eat well, sleep decent, but I've got a lot of injuries (spinal, low back , knees etc) so I can't lift too heavy, and also I take some meds for anxiety and depression... so I find working taxing on my brain too.

Do you think with repeated use I will adapt to the 30 lbs and then I can just leave it there, or should I go back to 25 lbs and keep my workout there?

I know 5 lbs on each dumbell shouldn't make a diff but I do like trisets and supersets of whole body and workout nonstop for 40 min so this 5 lbs on each dumbell is added to every single exercise I do (about 18 exercises).

All i feel like doing is sleeping all day. I feel lethargic.. i take a preworkout called assault, and a post workout electrolyte drink.

I feel great when I workout most of the time.. But by the end of the day and even in the next 1 -2 days I am DONE.
I'm wondering if I'm being greedy at my age going for 30 lbs dumbells.. After all construction workers lift the same weights day in a day out.. i'm not into sports or competition anymore.

Any advice how I can recover better.. I get my protein too!
12/31/12 3:06 PM
turducken

you do the same workout with the same weight every time? its no wonder so many people claim to spend hours and hours in the gym yet never see any real progress...
12/31/12 5:33 PM
Leigh
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How often do you do this routine? Sounds like under resting but might be something else. Have a week off and see how you feel Phone Post
12/31/12 6:05 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/31/12 6:05 PM

I think a week off and "Deload" weeks are very important. 

edit: do you pay attention to micronutrients? magnesium, iodine/iodide, etc?

12/31/12 8:15 PM
Grappler2010

Edited: 12/31/12 8:16 PM
Guys

I do this routine 3 x week.

I take a multivitamin, a cal/mag/vit d supplement too.

The drugs I'm on for anxiety/depression take it out of me with their side effects.

I have sleep apnea too and wear a device when sleeping to aid breathing.

I find I can handle workouts of 25 lbs with no problem.. i challenge myself by cutting the rest times and recover.. but soon as I went up to 30 lbs everything changed.. My joint injuries returned.

Could just be I can't do what I did 20 years ago which is constantly lift heavier and train harder.. i am after all double the age now with medical problems.

Just curious what's going to happen to my test levels if I keep it at 25 lbs and keep cutting rest time.. I try to do 40 min weights, 20 min walking cardio.

I am going back pronto to 25 lbs and making it more a cardio challenge.. that should help my sleep apnea more, plus help me lose more fat as I'm about 10 lbs overweight.

if you have additional tips please leave them here./>
12/31/12 9:46 PM
molsonman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much sleep, protein, carbs and fats do you actually get?
1/1/13 2:41 AM
WestCoastMXC

I've never used them but I think Kettlebells would be great for you. Phone Post
1/1/13 5:26 AM
falkofire
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like your low on fuel ?
Good food fuels the body
What r u eating ? Phone Post
1/1/13 7:00 AM
Grappler2010

My Diet:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, small amount of potatos, 1 slice WW toast with jam, 2 cups coffee

Mid Morning: 25 mg Protein Powder (PP)

Take Assault by MusclePharm (creatine preworkout)
WORKOUT -- 1 hr (40 min weights, 20 min cardio)
Take Electrolytes

Lunch: MRP (300 calories)

Mid Afternoon: 25 mg Protein Powder (PP)

Dinner: Quarter Chicken Breast, Baked Potatoe, small WW bread

Bedtime: 25 mg Protein Powder (PP)

Now I realize this diet is no BB diet.. but I'm not a BB anyways.. Just trying to look decent for my age.

Anything you'd change with my diet? I have trouble losing weight even with this diet with my meds.

1/1/13 7:51 AM
Leigh
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drop the bread. Replace the meal replacements with meals Phone Post
1/1/13 10:52 AM
Wiggy
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm with Leigh - def drop the bread.  I'd also either look at adding a few more eggs to your diet, or replacing some of your MRP/protein powder with steak.  You're not getting much saturated animal fat.  I know most people consider it the devil, but it's actually better for you than a lot of people think.  Much better than processed carbs.

Of course, it's in moderation, but that should go without saying.

Re training...you didn't mention how long you've been doing this program.

Doing the same workout with the same weight each time isn't progressive, but that doesn't mean it can't be.  I've actually taken to doing a lot of constant weight training - in that I use the same weight for an extended period of time (generally a month, which equals 4 rotations for me - or a given workout being done 4x).  Then I increase.  Sticking in the 70-75% range, I find over the long-term, I'm ever increasing the weights I'm using, yet I'm never working that much harder.  It's a gradual build of capacity so that I'm always working in that 70-75% range, even though the weights go up.  It's that my max capacity/capability goes up.  So I'm never putting in more than 70-75% effort level.

That's obviously different than what you're doing, but the general principle is the same.

If you were out of training for a long time, given your age (not that early 40s is old, but your body will just take longer to adapt if you've been out of the game for a while), you just might need a while to get back into the groove of things.  Of your body adapting, being able to handle the increased stress placed upon your body physically and your CNS, etc.  Even though you say you sleep well enough and all that, it could be that your recovery now just sucks compared to what you're used to the last time you trained consistently (which is your last mental reference point), so you have to gradually build up some work capacity.

So be sure to keep an eye on the long-game here - this isn't a sprint.

How long have you been doing this program?

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

1/1/13 12:47 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/01/13 12:48 PM

damn kid, forget your calcium and magnesium supplements and pick up some kale, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds are your friends.

as far as saturated (animal) fats, you can get any form of saturated fat even in coconut or avocado, but you're missing that as well.

you're basically eating a hefty amount of empty calories. as Leigh said drop the bread and replace it with a beer, joking.

1/1/13 12:59 PM
turducken

that's a pretty sad looking diet. every thing you eat is brown or white...plus half of it isn't even actually food, its powder. eat some vegetables and fruits...i mean there is no variety in your diet and i cant imagine you are getting adequate nutrition from chicken, potatoes, bread and protein powder. thats like a prison diet. i wouldnt be surprised if you actually developed scurvy or something like that.
1/1/13 2:30 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

lmao turducken with comedy gold every time! VTFU

1/2/13 7:32 PM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your diet is shit. Id address that immeadiately. You need to add about 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, and dump all that fucking bro' powder, beyond a post workout shake.

Secondly you are going to plateau doing the same routine over and over indefinitely. You should take a week off every six weeks or so, and then modify your routine for the next cycle.

I would also try eliminating the cardio on lift days to see if that helps.

1/3/13 2:58 AM
jkd_guy
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - How often do you do this routine? Sounds like under resting but might be something else. Have a week off and see how you feel Phone Post
Isn't under resting the same as overtraining?
I used to hear
"theres no such thing as overtraining, just undereating and under resting" Phone Post
1/3/13 3:07 AM
Leigh

No, not the same. I agree with that statement. We've had the discussion here before. They appear to be the same thing but they're not. One states you can work too much and has no reference to rest periods. The other states you can inadequately rest, with no reference to work.

As an example, lifting weights for 20 minutes every day, 7 days a week will burn you out quicker than one 60 min session and one 80 min session per week, with 2-3 days rest in between Phone Post
1/14/13 2:25 PM
A_Butler
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grappler2010 - My Diet:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, small amount of potatos, 1 slice WW toast with jam, 2 cups coffee

Mid Morning: 25 mg Protein Powder (PP)

Take Assault by MusclePharm (creatine preworkout)
WORKOUT -- 1 hr (40 min weights, 20 min cardio)
Take Electrolytes

Lunch: MRP (300 calories)

Mid Afternoon: 25 mg Protein Powder (PP)

Dinner: Quarter Chicken Breast, Baked Potatoe, small WW bread

Bedtime: 25 mg Protein Powder (PP)

Now I realize this diet is no BB diet.. but I'm not a BB anyways.. Just trying to look decent for my age.

Anything you'd change with my diet? I have trouble losing weight even with this diet with my meds.

You're not eating enough. Lose the bread and too many shakes. Quit the MRP shakes and eat an actual meal. I eat like that, without the MRP drinks, three or so days before a tournament when I'm cutting weight. You need to eat. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.