UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> wrasslers who never evolved

12/31/12 4:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mugumuchu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are many old time wrasslers that for better or worse evolved themselves to the sign of the time.
Terry Funk, Shawn Michael and Hulk Hogan are the most prominent in my mind.

then there are some that just refuse to evolve. it's sad to see guys like the Ricky Morton and Gibson. they still have the same gimmick and hairstyle. Not to mention, they're so bitter with today wrassling. They were one of the best tag team in the 80. Now they are reduced to nothing.

what you think?
12/31/12 11:37 PM
Slydawg

You hit the nail on the head with the rock--n-roll express. They never changed from day 1. Nice call and VTFU when I get to a PC. They were awesome in the 80's Phone Post
1/1/13 4:38 AM
nipperusa
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They had some of the most unique spots that still aren't seen today. Its been said quite a bit on this forum, but tag teams like that just do not exist any more. Phone Post
1/1/13 4:41 AM
roninthebox
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First to come to mind was rvd Phone Post
1/1/13 10:55 AM
jujitsujamo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed on both RnR and RVD. Ricky Morton had a short stint as Richard Morton as part of the York Foundation in the early 90s but it dis not last.

Unsure what RVD should do to change but he has been stale for quite some time now. Way too old to be playing the stoner bit. Phone Post
1/1/13 7:40 PM
ArtMinaj

roninthebox -  First to come to mind was rvd Phone Post

Same here.

1/1/13 8:30 PM
Slydawg

I think RnR got stale. I could tell every move in advance and the same promos by Morton with Gibson having no mic time.

I think they were all that in the 80s. They should have changed their finisher, got a manager, worked new promos angles, turned heel. Something needed to change as fir myself they lost their flava.

But to each his own. I respect your opinion. Phone Post
1/1/13 9:49 PM
Stryfe
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most of what comes to mind is pretty much old school guys

Jerry Lawler
Bruiser Brody
Nikita Koloff
1/1/13 11:07 PM
Shanks
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As the biggest Road Warriors fan on earth, it was awkward to see them try to be relevant in the attitude era. Phone Post
1/1/13 11:09 PM
Nuckin Futs
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are we talking about guys that were decent, but never evolved into a better wrestler or a improved gimmick, or are we talking about guys that had the perfect gimmick and stuck with it?

Ric Flair has been the same character since he started using the Nature Boy persona. I would say him not evolving into something different than what was working is a great thing.

Sure most guys get stale if they don't change up some, but it's not the case for everybody.

Bruiser Brody is a great example of why in the world would he change anything? The man was over wherever he went. Shaving his head and turning him into a Payless shoe salesman wouldn't have did a thing for him.
1/2/13 12:03 AM
vengence
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are you speaking character evolution, or wrestling skill

bc

diesel/nash
bret hart
hall
hogan
sid
sandman

same repetitive move set, same match psychology, hardly ever evolved new ring skills or expanded, rarely involved new moves.

the guy who has evolved the most to me.... Big Show. the guy bumps now like he is 15 yrs younger.
1/2/13 12:31 AM
othree
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow yeah, Big Show is a great example of a guy evolving in this business.

1/2/13 11:41 AM
CryLikeAGirl
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArtMinaj - 
roninthebox -  First to come to mind was rvd Phone Post

Same here.

It sucks because I loved ECW RVD because he was just so fresh and innovative and had the talent to really be a star.  The problem is that in the past 15 years, all of his matches look the same.  Oh well.

1/2/13 11:57 AM
dangerboy12
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

missing link
1/2/13 2:45 PM
Nuckin Futs
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dangerboy12 - missing link

Dewey Robertson is a great example of somebody that did evolve his character. He wrestled for 23 years before becoming the Missing Link in 1983. He retired by the end of the 80's so the vast majority of his career was nothing like his Missing Link character.

1/2/13 3:49 PM
ryanJ
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually think the Ultimate Warrior is a good example..even though he doesn't really wrestle any more.  I watched a little of his "youtube reality series" thing and actually think he could have been a cool anti-character.  

He is still a big, intense dude...he could have come out, without the makeup and cut some promos about how everyone made a joke out of him with that DVD the WWE put out, and beat the shit out of some of the younger talent. 

He could have come out as this guy: 

Instead he did a little wrestling and came back as this guy: 

1/2/13 4:59 PM
Stryfe

The Dingo Warrior was similar to the Ulrimate Warrior but his Blade Runners gimmick with Sting (known as Rock I think) was different and the Power Team USA was really different

Bigelow?
1/2/13 5:37 PM
Slydawg

Once again nuckin beat me to the punch.

Bruiser Brody had not even peaked by the time he was killed. He was no where close to stale.

I always wondered what happened to the Dingo Warrior? Phone Post
1/4/13 2:35 AM
Stone17Wolf

Dingo Warrior....Ultimate Warrior

Believe it or not....same guy
1/4/13 7:36 AM
thekev1130

Not so much wrestlers, but gimmicks that lasted forever without being changed up:

Hillbilly Jim

Honkytonk Man

Scotty 2 Hotty

Brian Christopher

Val Venis
1/4/13 8:03 AM
roninthebox
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look at kanes character when it debut, look at it now at moments he can be on of the most entertaining characters in wwe Phone Post
1/4/13 8:14 AM
dangerboy12
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roddy Piper never evolved
1/4/13 11:15 AM
RoyMunson
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dangerboy12 - Roddy Piper never evolved

I've never thought of that, but your right.  I guess that's why he was always my favorite.

1/4/13 6:18 PM
Bendos Toothpick
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How has no one said Goldberg!

At least Ryback has some time to change it up, Goldy stayed the same in WCW and that pathetic run in the E

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.