UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Interested in Battling Ropes...TME

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/31/12 5:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LakerGirl
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Background info...

I am a 32 year old male. I am trying to downsize and am looking for equipment that takes up minimal space. I am getting rid of most my free weights, bumper plates, bench, towers, etc...

I am keeping my KBs, Schwinn Airdyne, Rings and TRX along with 6x6 of Mat.

I am considering getting 50ft of rope to add in. Is it worth having? How loud would it be in my house? What's a good place to purchase. I see 1.5" and 2", for a fairly fit guy, which is better? Phone Post
1/1/13 5:31 AM
Chocolate Shatner
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wait a sec. You're looking at downsizing, so you decide you want to buy 50 feet of rope?

You do realize how much space that shit is gonna take up? You plan on just rolling that shit up like a garden hose when you aren't using it? Coiling it? Piling it up like a fucking tard?
1/1/13 6:41 AM
Taku
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agre with C.S. (a bit) Not sure why you would want to bother with these. Sounds like you have all the toys you want already.

TAKU

1/1/13 10:05 AM
LakerGirl
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Taku. Chocolate, 50ft on the Internet isn't looking too big coiled up. Yes, I would coil it up when it's not in use, just like I put things away when I'm not using them. Sorry you were raised by filthy people. Phone Post
1/1/13 10:59 AM
Wiggy
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/01/13 10:58 AM

wait a sec. You're looking at downsizing, so you decide you want to buy 50 feet of rope?

LOL - glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that.

Battling Ropes are cool and def can help you train certain physical attributes in ways other equipment won't.  However, most of those attributes can be trained in other ways that will still get you what you need (esp from an 80/20 point of view).

That said, Battling Ropes, while cool, are still pretty limited in what they can do/train.  The bang for your buck as far as what you can do with them is limited - esp compared to a barbell with bumper plates, bench, and chin/dip tower.

I'd keep the latter in favor of the former everyday of the week.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

PS - 50 ft of rope will take up a lot more room than you think, even coiled up.  (Remember that you'll have two of them.)  I think they'd easily end up taking up as much floor space as a bench, and certainly more than a chin/dip tower.  It's not like coiling up your garden hose...

1/1/13 11:08 AM
LakerGirl

Wiggy, I use the rings for dips/pull-ups. I figured the ropes could be coiled/bagged in the corner and will add a nice apparatus for HIIT training. It would take up far less room than the free weights, bumper plates, bench and pillars I am selling. I have access to a number of gyms with all those items. I'm looking for things I can't find everywhere. Phone Post
1/1/13 11:11 AM
LakerGirl

Also, I thought you connected the rope to an anchor at the center so it was 1 rope and you used both ends. That's what many videos/pics showed. You use 2? Phone Post
1/1/13 11:14 AM
Wiggy
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LakerGirl -  Also, I thought you connected the rope to an anchor at the center so it was 1 rope and you used both ends. That's what many videos/pics showed. You use 2? Phone Post

No, it's def only one rope. I meant that you've have to consider it being 2 x 50ft of rope (100ft total - not just 50ft). Sorry - should have worded that more clearly.

Wiggy
1/1/13 11:32 AM
LakerGirl

Okay. I was looking at 1 x 50ft rope so it's 25ftx2. Phone Post
1/1/13 1:40 PM
NeoSpartan
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where do you live: free weights, bumper plates, Pillars

How much you want for em
1/1/13 1:54 PM
NeoSpartan
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow I responded to that in a hurry.

Re-do:

How much do you want for: the Free Weights Bumper Plates and pillars?

What kind are they?

You have a bar? (7ft, oly bar)

You live in SoCal? (obviously wouldn't want to ship this shit)
1/1/13 2:04 PM
LakerGirl

I do not live in SoCal. Sorry. Phone Post
1/1/13 4:51 PM
3 strikes
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's a good place to purchase.

http://knotandrope.com (cheaper than most and great quality)

I see 1.5" and 2", for a fairly fit guy, which is better?

If you want to brutalize your grip then go with the 2". If your grip strength is weak or have smaller hands then your grip is probably going to give out before you even start getting a sweat, this is more a matter of grip strength.

If you don't mind the shedding of fibers when indoors then 'Manila' is a good & cheaper option, they are heavy which is great. Polypropylene is lighter in weight and more expensive but doesn't shed and will last you a long freaking time.

As far as them not taking much space you can always make a wall mount (hanger, anchor etc.) easy as hell and if done well can even accommodate 50 feet.
1/1/13 10:38 PM
Taku
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/02/13 1:52 PM

BTW...I always thought lakergirl was a girl.

TAKU

1/2/13 5:52 AM
LordSeano
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah - not sure I even want to consider why a guy might be pretending to be a girl on this board......
1/2/13 8:36 AM
LakerGirl

I lost a SN bet. Phone Post
1/2/13 8:58 AM
ChrisBeyondStrength
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/02/13 9:02 AM

I get that people are telling you to not get the ropes... Do you need them? No.  But, I have a complete  gym with multiple ropes, and yes, they are pretty fun to mix things up.

Pertaining to size, it really depends on what you're going for...  Like 3 Strikes said, the 2in will fry your grip after, but larger, stronger males will be just fine with the 2in though.  We typically use the 1.5in for longer time on the ropes, with teens, and for most of our female members.

They're also good for attaching to sleds for rows and such, wrap it around an anchor and perform plank rows, throw it over a rack for inverted climbs (feet against rack), and- with the 50ft, we sometimes toss it over a rack and perform traditional rope climbs (have a partner feed it to you as you climb).

As for sound, I've never heard a rope talk...

Okay, but for real, performing battling ropes will alarm your neighbors if there is anyone below you.  Nothing too loud though, just an odd sound of it uncoiling on the floor.

As for storage, we keep it wrapped around one leg of the dumbbell rack as the anchor for exercises, and just fold it in halves to coil it and store. 

1/2/13 8:28 PM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a battle rope that I use outside, wrapped around a big tree. When I'm done I coil it up and store it inside. I use mine mostly to thrash my grips and forearms after I lift weights. Oh, I climb it some too.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.