UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Werdum: JDS failed in Jiu-Jitsu

12/31/12 6:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grimreapers
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Source: Fabricio Werdum on Junior dos Santos: "He will learn from this defeat."

Werdum speaks the truth! Were was JDS black belt level jiu-jitsu??? I knew when he was given his black belt was just a publicity stunt. Just because some fighters have a black belt in BJJ, don't mean they r actually effective with BJJ in a mma fight. Reminds me of that Chael Sonnen comment about getting a black belt under Nogueira is like getting a toy in ur happy meal
12/31/12 6:22 PM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/31/12 6:25 PM
LOL @ questioning JDS's bjj. He got rocked badly early on, I don't give a damn how good you are if you are rocked early on everything from power, conditioning, and skill drops dramatically. If you can't recognize that it just shows you don't train.

-edit-
Werdum is just saying that his bjj wasn't on, and it wasn't from all the damage he took.
12/31/12 6:25 PM
MMALOGIC

BJJ?!?  why on earth should he play the gaurd game when he was getting up whenever he wanted...  the absolute worst thing for him to do was to stay on the ground with cain.

At least on the feet Junior has a chance to land a shot.

what does werdum want him to do?  stay on the ground trying to submit cain while getting punched in the face by one of the most ruthless ground and pound guys?

ridiculous.

12/31/12 6:27 PM
HenryO

I like the way Werdum matches up with Cain, that would be a good fight
12/31/12 6:29 PM
Soup and Beer
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Giant Silva has a black belt too.  Maybe JDS decided to get back to his feet instead of looking for subs and sweeps while getting his head bashed into the canvas.

12/31/12 6:30 PM
WestCoastMXC

Sounds like he's still bitter at JDS for KO'ing him. Phone Post
12/31/12 6:34 PM
HenryO

TartanTopTeamsHeroinWhore - 
HenryO - I like the way Werdum matches up with Cain, that would be a good fight
Cain would murder Werdum worse than Junior did. Phone Post

I doubt it Cain isn't really a threat standing to Werdum
12/31/12 6:34 PM
rumble_fish
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

BJJ?!?  why on earth should he play the gaurd game when he was getting up whenever he wanted...  the absolute worst thing for him to do was to stay on the ground with cain.

what does werdum want him to do?  stay on the ground trying to submit cain while getting punched in the face by one of the most ruthless ground and pound guys?

ridiculous.

He could've possibly conserved more energy if he played a guard game. Fighting a take down, then fighting to get back on the feet is a pretty exhausting sequence especially with Cain on top.
12/31/12 6:36 PM
Caught_clean
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is clips of JDS rolling he is good on the ground... problem is, and he admitted it, he did nothing but try and get to his feet and didnt use any BJJ. So questioning something you never even saw seems kind of silly.
12/31/12 6:37 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Bigfoot Silva is also a blackbelt in BJJ, he tried to play the guard game with Cain.. it didnt end so well for him either

12/31/12 6:39 PM
bemsqua
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/31/12 6:39 PM
MMALOGIC - 

ridiculous.

I think the theory is that he wouldn't be getting punched in the face if he was using effective BJJ. He must not have been that confident because he kept getting up.....only problem was Cain easily beating him in the stand-up. I think he went back to instincts and that is to try to land the shot to knock him out instead of playing on the ground.

I agree with you..Cain is a monster on the ground. With the exception of Werdum, I can't think of many heavy's who'd want to stay down there with him. I know some people will laugh, but I think Roy Nelson would be an interesting fight with Cain. I would also have loved to see how the Silva fight played out if it wasn't for the nasty cut.
12/31/12 6:41 PM
maxbrothersinc
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - 

12/31/12 6:46 PM
HenryO

Just cause Cain beat up Nog and Lesnar standing all of a sudden people think he's amazing. The guy is pretty average striker and WErdum would more then hold his own there and be more then willing to grapple with Cain
12/31/12 6:50 PM
Caught_clean
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - Just cause Cain beat up Nog and Lesnar standing all of a sudden people think he's amazing. The guy is pretty average striker and WErdum would more then hold his own there and be more then willing to grapple with Cain

Were you black out drunk all last weekend?
12/31/12 6:53 PM
ShaqNoob
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - Just cause Cain beat up Nog and Lesnar standing all of a sudden people think he's amazing. The guy is pretty average striker and WErdum would more then hold his own there and be more then willing to grapple with Cain

You must have forgotten that he also beat up JDS standing, who many believe he is the best boxer in the heavyweight division.
12/31/12 6:55 PM
yabadaba
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caught_clean - 

JDS is a much better pure striker while Werdum and Cain are probably pretty comparable. The difference is that Werdum wouldn't be concerned about be taken down.

12/31/12 6:55 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People, including the top fighters still look at everything too much from individual technical perspectives. JDS didnt take that much damage on the ground, he got back up nearly everytime so his BJJ served him well there.

JDS lost the bout everywhere not just in BJJ.

Werdum stinks of bitterness here.
12/31/12 6:56 PM
yabadaba
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShaqNoob - 

You must have forgotten that he also beat up JDS standing, who many believe he is the best boxer in the heavyweight division.

Any idea how Cain was able to beat a much better striker standing?

12/31/12 6:57 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokudamus stole my name - ^^ Bigfoot Silva is also a blackbelt in BJJ, he tried to play the guard game with Cain.. it didnt end so well for him either

Exactly. This. If JDS played the ground game, match would've ended much faster...Admittedly, that is actually Cain's stronger quality Phone Post
12/31/12 7:01 PM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maxbrothersinc -
HenryO - 

. Phone Post
12/31/12 7:02 PM
yabadaba

Obviously Cain is a threat to Werdum standing. Just as Werdum is a threat to Cain standing.

12/31/12 7:04 PM
HenryO

yabadaba - 
Caught_clean - 

JDS is a much better pure striker while Werdum and Cain are probably pretty comparable. The difference is that Werdum wouldn't be concerned about be taken down.

Exactly. I hardly say Cain beat JDS standing when he was constantly clinching or shooting, it was a good strategy that worked for him against JDS. But it wouldn't work for Cain against WErdum where Cain would be looking to avoid clinching and grappling exchanges. Makes the striking in Werdum/Cain completely different, look how tentative OVereem had to be against WErdum
12/31/12 7:06 PM
rumble_fish
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with this. Styles make fights, and Werdum is a very interesting stylistic match up for someone like Cain. Cain doesn't have lights out KO power. Although good in his stand up, his main goal is to get his opponent on the ground and smash.

Werdum has the best guard in the HW division without a doubt. There's a good chance Werdum knows how to minimize damage while fighting off his back. But then again, Cain is a monster and I do think he beats Werdum, but still a very interesting match up.
HenryO

Caught_clean - 

Good portions, but I remember the fight and have never been that impressed with Cain's standup. I think a 100% Werdum could definitely strike with him and he gives Cain big problems if they ever fight
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FatLoser - there is a point here.

there are many bjj black belts but few bjj guys that are really effective in mma.

Werdum is one of them.

Not much of a secret imo that JDS isnt as good as Werdum on the ground but Cain beat up JDS everywhere, it wasnt about BJJ, it was about the whole shabang that Cain threw at JDS.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.