UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> 2012 / 2013 goals...

1/1/13 11:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is a short list of goals I set and reached in 2012:

1. Find a good church with a pastor who "gets it." I found a church where (A) the pastor is actively involved with his congregation, (B) the pastor is personally involved in the local community, (C) the pastor is involved in foreign missions, (D) because of church leadership the congregation has an opportunity to fellowship with each other after service , (E) the congregation is involved in the local community, and (F) the congregation is involved in foreign missions. I needed to find a church like this. Why? Because I was tired of searching for churches where DOING THE WORK of the kingdom was not emphasized or realized. It took several months of attending services, a handful of one-on-one conversations with the pastors and a lot of scrutinizing of church leadership before I set my heart on this church. I am very happy to have found what I have found!

2. Lose twenty pounds. I went from 238lbs. to 218lbs. My goal for this year was to get down to somewhere below 220lbs. This is the lightest I have been in several years. How did I lose so much weight? Simple: Drink less sodas. Drink more water. Ride a mountain bike short distances, ten to twelve minutes, twice a week.

3. Increase the distance I hit my golf ball. One of my goals for this year was to increase my flexibility in the areas that affected my golf swing. Thanks to being consistent with my stretching, my swing is much longer and much stronger than it was a year ago. I now hit my irons 12 yards farther and my drives 10 yards farther - without having to swing harder. Plus, most of my chronic back pains have gone away with this newfound flexibility!

4. To become more consistent and bold in my walk with Christ. A lot can be said about this. Right now, all I will say is this: My walk has been strengthen by what Christ has done within my life. Yes, I understand that some people think all this talk about Christ is in some way a religious fantasy or fairy tale. Know this: Those who think this way are ignoramuses. Strong words, yes. But, I know what I trust in; I know in whom I trust; and I know what I have repeatedly experienced. And, I am very thankful that Christ came into this highly imperfect life of mine and gave me something that money, fame, sex or power never did!

5. To lower my scores in golf, I have focused on 12-14 mental thoughts. These thoughts have brought my scores down a little - without having to practice very often. For those of you who play golf, this is my routine: I play golf once or twice a month. I practice once a week for 45 to 60 minutes. My scores have come down from the high 70's to the low and mid 70's. All of this came about as the result of focusing on the mental aspects of the game - not because of practice. After experiencing this, I say to myself, "How come no one taught me these things when I was younger - especially during the period of time in my life when I was practicing four to five times per week?"

6. To develop my new business model. Since selling my martial arts academy, my focus has been on developing a new business model. This year I worked hard to develop this new business model. And while there were several set backs, I did make some good progress. It is looking like 2013 is going to be the year. One thing that worked very well was decreasing my workload from 60+ hours a week down to just four hours. I can't tell you how much this changed my life!

7. To invest in the lives of a handful of people. I took five people under my wing this year. My goal was to encourage, inspire, uplift and teach them. I am happy to report that each person made good progress this year! I am happy to have been small part of this progress 

8. To say "NO" more often. As a result of the life I live, I receive all kinds of requests on my time. How many? Consider the fact that I receive and respond to over 1600 text messages a month. People text from Ireland, Canada Norway, Mexico, Sweden, the Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, India and elsewhere. On top of all of that, I receive and respond to more than 1000 emails per month. So, I have had to learn how to say NO more often this year. And while it is no fun to turn people down, I had to accept the fact that I did not have the time to respond to everyone's request. So, I have made some good progress by taking a little more time for myself by telling some people "No."

Continued...

1/1/13 11:46 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is a short list of goals for 2013:

1. To become active within the walls of my new church. I have already sat down with the pastor and discussed some ideas for my involvement. We will meet again in January to talk more about this. I am excited about the potential of what is going to happen!

2. To become stronger. Now that I have lost some good weight, I want to become functionally strong - for golf and for life. So, I am going to put some effort into making this happen. Over the years, there have been ton of Jiu Jitsu practitioners (some of them my own students and instructors) who have accused me of being able to do what I do simply because I am big and strong. (Because they've seen me hold down strong, athletic purple, brown and black belt very easily, or because they've witnessed me passing people's guards with ease, they think I've been able to do this because I was so big and so strong). Truth be known, I am not very strong - nor have I been very strong since I hurt my left shoulder. My bench press has hovered around 150-160lbs. for years. My bicep curls have been between 25-30lbs. So, next year I want to change all of that. I was to become strong once again. I'll begin my journey with kettlebells. We'll see where the journey takes me!

3. To invest myself into the lives of a few more people. Now, mind you, I don't seek these people out. Rather, I pray and wait for them to present themselves. Some of these people are Christians - those seeking inspiration / encouragement with their walk with Christ, or with apologetic / polemic questions. Some are atheists / agnostics - asking for assistance or guidance in business and/or life. Others are college students, housewives, police officers and physicians. Since I have the gifting and the calling, and since this brings me great joy, I want to do a little more of it in 2013!

4. To polish my golfing fundamentals as well as develop my basics. I made some really good progress in 2012. I plan to continue the journey in 2013. I have already begun this journey and have seen tremendous improvement in just the past couple of days! Plus, I plan to continue working on the mental aspects of the game.

5. To travel twice for pleasure. Where will I go? Oh, I don't know. I am thinking about living in a foreign country for a couple of months - just for the experience. One trip will happen in May or June. The other trip will happen in early fall. I'll let you know how this unfolds!

6. To polish and develop this new business model. I will have new products, services and websites come February. I look forward to seeing how far this new business model will take me!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

I hope that by reading this you will feel "inspired" to take an inventory of your current life, as well as be encouraged to try and determine what good choices you could make for the upcoming year - choices that will not only positively affect your life, but choices that will positively affect the lives of those around you!

Roy Harris

www.royharris.com

3/1/13 7:54 PM
Roy Harris

The new business model is about "Life." Financially, it deal with how I'm going to make my money. However, the HOW is going to affect everything else. So, I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out. So far, things have been going good!

Roy

3/1/13 7:55 PM
Roy Harris

Also, thank you for your kind wishes!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.