UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones tells Cerrone: "You don't make $1M to fight"

1/2/13 6:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bailx - 

I hope Cerrone gets his title shot, not sure if Benson will lose anytime soon, but I like that he can challenge his teammate, in what seems like a respectful way.

I can see why Jones didn't take that fight, but I still think that he should have. "The Champ" should mean you never back down from a fight... ever.

(a young) Bas Rutten would have taken the fight, I know that much. The old days we had real fighters...who were fighting and not even getting paid much, if at all.... and now we have a sport... I guess we just have to deal with that. Jones played it smart perhaps, but he didn't gain any new fans from his decision, and the fallout for the UFC was disasterous with the cancelled event...

why do people keep riding on this "in the old days we had real fighters" thing?

Did anyone in the "old days" face Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad and Vitor and crush them all outside of Rashad who he still dominated in the span of like 19 months?
1/2/13 6:48 PM
WestCoastMXC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thatsme -
WestCoastMXC -  That's why nobody respects Jones as a person. Phone Post

Nobody as in you. That is "nobody".
Clever comeback but it's well known most people don't have respect for the way her carries himself. Drunk driving with two women in his back seat at two in the morning while his fiance is at home after he does interview after interview saying how good of a person he is and how he would never get caught drinking. I order every UFC and always enjoy watching him fight but outside of that I would never say I'm a fan.

Just my personal opinion. Phone Post
1/2/13 6:49 PM
chaplinshouse
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

isn't getting compensated a lot more money, more reason to take the fight? i guess in Jones' eyes, it's less a reason.  not sure the logic there.  "If i only made 100K to fight, i'd have taken it, but I get 10x that much, so where's the incentive???"

1/2/13 6:55 PM
KZTT_W85
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A few guys at his gym have called him out on matters publicly.

Beginning to think he's not very popular amongst his peers Phone Post
1/2/13 7:02 PM
WoodenPupa
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters aren't allowed to weigh their circumstances from the point of view of making a living, investing in the future, and maximizing the value of the present like normal people.

The "professional" part of "professional fighter" is an invisible prefix for most people, who conceive fighters from the Roman emperor's POV. Fighters are expected to adhere to the "fight when you're told to" equation while upholding a TUF-spastic "anyone anytime anywhere" identity for good measure.

Failing to conform to that template suddenly makes the fighter a thinker, and as we all know, fighters shouldn't be thinking!

It's un-fighter-like to have a leverage calculator in your mind, one that protects your future. It's apparently also against the warrior spirit to insist on preparation, even though fights are announced months in advance.

Why is MMA called a "profession" or career in the first place? Isn't preparation a virtue of professionalism, and isn't performance mainly the result of it?

Comments from guys like Cerrone just indicate how hard it is to take their own profession seriously. As a result, their identity revolves around being a "fighter" who just lives to throw down. Well, if you choose MMA as a profession, you have no choice but to have that attitude or a similar one, since you won't have anything to show for your mangled face any time soon.

Really, we can't blame Cerrone for this attitude for just those reasons. It's just a shame that very few fighters reach the point where they have to make decisions about the greater of two goods, instead of the lesser of two evils.
1/2/13 7:06 PM
3 Sided Square
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thatsme - So how'd this conversation go again:

Cowboy: Hey you, Jon. Hi Y'all doin'. You all should've fought ole Sonnen boy over yonder.

Jones: Uhm, you don't make a million dollars each fight.

Cowboy: Urp! Nope Ah don't, but ah fight my ass off when ah do.

Jones: uh huh. Where are you ranked now?

Cowboy: Now ya'll just listen here...

Jones: That's what I thought.
I bet this sounded hilarious in your head. Phone Post
1/2/13 7:10 PM
DamnSevern
1185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KZTT_W85 -  A few guys at his gym have called him out on matters publicly.

besides cerrone, which teammates have said something? please show me sources as well.

1/2/13 7:14 PM
KZTT_W85
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DamnSevern -

besides cerrone, which teammates have said something? please show me sources as well.

I'm not great at twitter and stuff, if I'm wrong I'm more than prepared to wear it.

I know Diego 100% had some negative comments to say about him also.

As I said im not trolling I'm sure a few guys have made comments. If I'm wrong, which I don't think I am then I'm prepared to wear that Phone Post
1/2/13 7:17 PM
whoabro

Tru -

nhb/ufc used to be about fights.  now mma is a sport with pro athletes and its about money and a sport.

whjy is anyone suprised about jones' comments.  He is probably one of the best athletes I have ever seen in my life; but he is not a "fighter" IMO.  flame me, vote me down, i dont care..he is the lebron james of mma, more athletic and bigger/longer than anyone else.  not even fun to watch sometimes.

This Phone Post
1/2/13 7:20 PM
ranier wolfcastle
633 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

STAKES ARE MUCH HIGHTER FOR JJ.

he has much more to lose. not accepting the chael fight, which i am sure he'd have won, was because of his strategy. he game plans for a specific opponent, and its a huge thing for him. it works, so i wont complain about it.

cowboy may have beat diaz if he had game planned carefully and stuck to it during the fight. it probably woulda earned him a title shot too....

1/2/13 7:21 PM
stonepony

JJ is not intimidated by Chael. He took the advice of his coaches. And, they haven't steered him wrong. They've earned the benefit of the doubt, and JJ is probably smart to defer to their judgment.

I'm a fan of JJ and Chael, and yes Chael is probably going to get his butt kicked. But, Chael deserves respect too, for being a small fighter willing to fight JJ on short notice. People conveniently forget that everybody else ran out their back door with their cell turned off and hid in the bushes when Dana White was trying to find somebody to fill in for DH.
1/2/13 7:31 PM
WoodenPupa
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"besides cerrone, which teammates have said something? please show me sources as well."

Good point, and also I'm wondering which MMA champions have talked crap about Jones' decision. As far as I know, nobody who gets a PPV cut from their fights criticized him. I don't even think anybody who regularly gets 6-figures did, champ or not.
1/2/13 7:31 PM
Phisher

DamnSevern - 

Diego's the only other one that I'd heard saying anything about Jones. He said also said that Jones should have fought Chael on short notice.

Like I wrote in the other thread. If the fact that Jones didn't take the fight offends their sensibilities so much, why are they still with Jackson/Winkeljohn? It was the coaching staff that advised Jones not to fight Sonnen.

1/2/13 7:34 PM
Phisher

Edited: 01/02/13 7:35 PM
WoodenPupa - "besides cerrone, which teammates have said something? please show me sources as well."

Good point, and also I'm wondering which MMA champions have talked crap about Jones' decision. As far as I know, nobody who gets a PPV cut from their fights criticized him. I don't even think anybody who regularly gets 6-figures did, champ or not.

Edgar said that he would have taken the fight. That was after he lost his belt.

GSP said that he would have taken the fight, which I don't believe for a second. GSP has shown that he does things at his pace and won't get forced into doing something he doesn't want to if it's against his best interest.

Henderson defended Jones.

Anderson said that it was Jones' choice.

I don't remember the other guys who were champs at the time commenting. 

1/2/13 7:35 PM
Submissable
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WoodenPupa - "besides cerrone, which teammates have said something? please show me sources as well."

Talk crap? No. Criticize? Not really. But a champ did offer to fight on 8 days notice to save that card. Even offered to fight at a weight class above his. He gets 6 figures and a PPV cut.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8299773/anderson-silva-offered-fight-salvage-ufc-151-manager-ed-soares-says

1/2/13 7:42 PM
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so jones headlines a 35 million $  event and only makes a million. he better pick his fights.

1/2/13 7:46 PM
GriffinQ
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bailx -

I hope Cerrone gets his title shot, not sure if Benson will lose anytime soon, but I like that he can challenge his teammate, in what seems like a respectful way.

I can see why Jones didn't take that fight, but I still think that he should have. "The Champ" should mean you never back down from a fight... ever.

(a young) Bas Rutten would have taken the fight, I know that much. The old days we had real fighters...who were fighting and not even getting paid much, if at all.... and now we have a sport... I guess we just have to deal with that. Jones played it smart perhaps, but he didn't gain any new fans from his decision, and the fallout for the UFC was disasterous with the cancelled event...

I can't tell if you're thinking Cerrone and Bendo are teammates, or if I'm misreading this...

They're not, however I do think they're friends from their WEC days Phone Post
1/2/13 7:57 PM
shaqitup
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldn't making a million to fight actually be incentive to take the fight?
1/2/13 7:58 PM
Nucky

Only a fool would have taken Chael Sonnen on 8 days notice...Chael has the wrestling to win 5 round decision then what would the world think if you get tooled and lose your belt because u decided to take a no training  camp fight.  

At least have a belt if your gonna rip on JBJ and what do you know not one person with a belt ripped on JBJ because then they would look like a fool if a short notice fight is required out of them and they turn it down.  Only person i know who commented that had a belt was Benson Henderson and he said he agreed with Jones not taking the fight.

1/2/13 8:03 PM
steve sandstrom
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B -
Tru - 

nhb/ufc used to be about fights.  now mma is a sport with pro athletes and its about money and a sport.

whjy is anyone suprised about jones' comments.  He is probably one of the best athletes I have ever seen in my life; but he is not a "fighter" IMO.  flame me, vote me down, i dont care..he is the lebron james of mma, more athletic and bigger/longer than anyone else.  not even fun to watch sometimes.

Im as old school as anyone here, I miss Pride but not everything about it. NHB/UFC also used to have guys who couldnt "figt" very well and came in out of shape and under-prepared.

Jones comes to "fight" every time. Just because he's not willing to risk a big set back in his career in a nothing to gain/everything to lose scenario on short notice doesnt mean he's not a "fighter." He's had one of the very best list of opposition of out any fighter over the last 2 years and been one of the most active of the champs/top fighters.

Are Machida and Shogun also not "fighters" since they turned Jones down on short notice?

There is nothing "not fighter'ish" about wanting proper time to prepare for your opponent so you will be fully prepared to "fight" come event time.

And Im super tired of the "more athletic and bigger/longer than anyone else" thing. It is dam fun to watch some as creative and as good as Jones in every facet of the game and to continue finishing guys. We've seen plenty of bigger and longer guys never come close to developing the game and that Jones has.
100 %. Nobody fights for free. Phone Post
1/2/13 8:15 PM
RollHighAllDay
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Labron James of mma? More like wilt chamberlain of the sport. The Labron hasn't even been born yet and the Michael Jordan is in diapers. There's a lot of evolution to take place to compare the pro athletes of the UFC to the pro athletes of the nba. Phone Post
1/2/13 8:22 PM
Mulletron5000
1296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WoodenPupa - Fighters aren't allowed to weigh their circumstances from the point of view of making a living, investing in the future, and maximizing the value of the present like normal people.

The "professional" part of "professional fighter" is an invisible prefix for most people, who conceive fighters from the Roman emperor's POV. Fighters are expected to adhere to the "fight when you're told to" equation while upholding a TUF-spastic "anyone anytime anywhere" identity for good measure.

Failing to conform to that template suddenly makes the fighter a thinker, and as we all know, fighters shouldn't be thinking!

It's un-fighter-like to have a leverage calculator in your mind, one that protects your future. It's apparently also against the warrior spirit to insist on preparation, even though fights are announced months in advance.

Why is MMA called a "profession" or career in the first place? Isn't preparation a virtue of professionalism, and isn't performance mainly the result of it?

Comments from guys like Cerrone just indicate how hard it is to take their own profession seriously. As a result, their identity revolves around being a "fighter" who just lives to throw down. Well, if you choose MMA as a profession, you have no choice but to have that attitude or a similar one, since you won't have anything to show for your mangled face any time soon.

Really, we can't blame Cerrone for this attitude for just those reasons. It's just a shame that very few fighters reach the point where they have to make decisions about the greater of two goods, instead of the lesser of two evils.
Great post! Phone Post
1/2/13 8:28 PM
Neil Funk

I'm still tripping off Tru's statement about Jon Jones. How the fuck could anyone in this world with eyes not consider Jon Jones a fighter?

Tru I like what you do but you're way off on that one. Jon Jones isn't only the best athlete, he's the best "fighter" in the world, regardless if he turned down the fight with the 37-yr-old roiding lay-n-pray journeyman middleweight. Now, he signed on to fight him and that still isn't good enough for you? Wow.

What the fuck is happening in this world today
1/2/13 8:29 PM
UGCTT croy_00
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FedorEmilioEstevez - I love Cerrone but if I was Jones I wouldn't expect my teammate and friend to air my private conversations in the media like this. Phone Post
Unless some 24 year old punk told you that you weren't worth shit compared to him, despite Cerrone being one of the most entertaining s.o.b's in the business. Treat others how you would like to be treated imo, and don't get a salty anus when your shit comes back full circle. Phone Post
1/2/13 8:51 PM
Phisher

LilBrockonmychest - 
Phisher - 

Edgar said that he would have taken the fight. That was after he lost his belt.

GSP said that he would have taken the fight, which I don't believe for a second. GSP has shown that he does things at his pace and won't get forced into doing something he doesn't want to if it's against his best interest.

Henderson defended Jones.

Anderson said that it was Jones' choice.

I don't remember the other guys who were champs at the time commenting. 

Source of Edgar and GSP saying they would have taken it? I did see Cowboy/Diego say yes and Bendo said no. Never saw anything from other champs.

Here's the Edgar quote.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-151-cancelled-in-jon-jones-shoes-former-champion-frankie-edgar-says-i-think-i-would-take-the-fight

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.