UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> please help me NOT to train this week

1/2/13 3:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm excited about returning to regular training this year.

However, I tweaked my back on Tuesday. It's mild, but my back is what has kept me off the mat for the past 2 years.

I really want to train tonight or tomorrow. Please tell me it would be REALLY STUPID to do so. Please tell me that I should just wait until my back settles down over the weekend and start fresh next week.

Thanks...
1/2/13 3:17 PM
Christophr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MY GOD MAN DON'T DO IT
1/2/13 3:59 PM
allchokedup
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take a break man. i have been off 2 weeks my back and neck have been jacked. then i got sick. cant wait to get back. just rest, its not race. but your training partners are getting better :)
1/2/13 4:12 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been taking a break for over two years - that's why it's hard to take more break!

Christophr, I can't tell if your answer is sincere or ironic. #nothelping
1/2/13 6:35 PM
tarado4
464 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

remind yourself that it is a marathon not a sprint

cliche yes, but true

the most important factor to your bjj progress is NOT the intensity and enthusiasm that you first launch yourself into the training. Rather, it is your ability to maintain consistency at a slightly lower level over a long time

just go and watch the class if you need to get out of the house
1/2/13 6:39 PM
The Gimp

Edited: 01/02/13 6:40 PM
thanks tarado4. i don't think i would be able to refrain from training if i went to the academy. also i am not a member yet. i've just done a drop-in class.

i did get my blue belt from the instructor though that was a long time ago and kind of a strange situation. i got it after six months with the instructor, but also had 3 years no-gi when i started training with him. right after i got the belt he left the school i was training with. so he gave me the belt but we'd only known each other for about six months at the time, then he dipped.
1/2/13 10:46 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is stupid.

Don't be stupid.
1/2/13 11:10 PM
The Gimp

Thanks y'all. I didn't go. I won't go until I'm feeling good, not bad.
1/3/13 12:27 AM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drill but don't roll. HARD to do once you're in it and loosened up, but if you can stay disciplined, it's the best of both worlds. Phone Post
1/3/13 12:29 PM
The Gimp

Jrock i think that would be easy to do if i was already part of an academy but it's harder to do when you don't really know many of the training partners.

Also i don't know when i would drill because class is warmup, technique, sparring. Everyone else is gonna want to spar, right? So whom would i drill with - knowwhatimeanvern? Phone Post
1/3/13 3:17 PM
Ubiquitous
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in the same position. My lower back has kept my training sporadic at best for the past couple years. You know better than to go train if you tweaked your back so recently. It will exacerbate the problem. Just stay home and do core exercises. Phone Post
1/3/13 11:30 PM
The Gimp

Thanks Ubiquitous.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.