UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Matches Zuffa's Offer for Alavarez...

1/2/13 7:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/02/13 7:30 PM

It seems Bellator has Matched ZUffa's offer to alvarez or did they?

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/bellator-fighting-championships-counters-ufcs-offer-for-eddie-alvarez

Dana said it was gonna get "ugly"... maybe Bellator believes they matched it whereas Eddie doesnt believe they have...

Maybe Alvarez waits 4 months (when the matching period ends) and signs with whoever he wants.

1/2/13 7:35 PM
caposa
1417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ugh.. I fucking knew it

disapponting news to say the least

1/2/13 7:38 PM
Tad Ghostal

I'm assuming the UFC contract has a lot of stipulations e.g. become champ and get a % of PPVs? Would this make it more difficult to tell if it had been matched?
1/2/13 7:49 PM
MMALOGIC

^ if zuffa had a stipulation like: "everytime you fight airs on spike tv in 2013 you get 1 million dollars" it would be impossible for bellator to match because that stipulation would cost bellator money but not zuffa.

When Dana says it's gonna get "ugly"...  It sounds like they had those types of stipulations and bellator only matched what they thought was the real deal... or how much they though eddie was gonna earn with the contract.

im assuming this is where the "ugly" comes into it.

The matching period ends in like 4 months... so if eddie can legally wait it out then he can just sign with the ufc.

1/2/13 8:03 PM
Tad Ghostal

^I don't understand your example, Zuffa don't have anything to do with Spike anymore.
1/2/13 8:07 PM
Delorian
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal - ^I don't understand your example, Zuffa don't have anything to do with Spike anymore.

10'ers gonna 10.  ;)

The UFC will counter offer with a slam-bang contract that forces Bellator to tuck and move on, while making Eddie jism in his pantalones as he prepares for his highly anticipated Octagonal debut.  

1/2/13 8:22 PM
Tad Ghostal

Are they allowed to make a counter offer?
1/2/13 9:02 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 01/02/13 9:14 PM
Tad Ghostal - ^I don't understand your example, Zuffa don't have anything to do with Spike anymore.

that's why they would place a stipulation like that there...  it wouldnt cost zuffa anything but make it impossible for bellator to match.

When eddie sits down with zuffa they come to terms...and when both sides are happy with the terms they draw up the offer.  obviously Eddie is not gonna want bellator to match it so theoretically he'd be fine with the extra stipulations to make it impossible for bellator to match.

Now it seems based on Dana saying "it's gonna get ugly" that bellator has made an offer but it's not clear whether or not it actually matches zuffa's offer.

the only other explanation for the word "ugly" would be that Eddie has to accept the matched offer and he now cant wait until the matching period expires so he can go with the UFC.

1/3/13 12:29 PM
Tad Ghostal

I still don't understand how your example would work. For that stipulation to take effect he would have to sign the UFC contract which would prevent him from fighting on Spike. The UFC are contracted to Fox and can't put fights on Spike.

In fact Bellator could say 'every time you fight on PPV you get $100 Million' because even though Bellator don't put on PPVs, there's nothing stopping them from putting on a PPV.
1/3/13 12:31 PM
Brasky

Tad Ghostal - I still don't understand how your example would work. For that stipulation to take effect he would have to sign the UFC contract which would prevent him from fighting on Spike. The UFC are contracted to Fox and can't put fights on Spike.

In fact Bellator could say 'every time you fight on PPV you get $100 Million' because even though Bellator don't put on PPVs, there's nothing stopping them from putting on a PPV.

My god.....
1/3/13 12:49 PM
D241

mmalogic, why does it seem you're talking out of your ass again?

Oh yeah, b/c you always do.

lol @ Zuffa putting a "stipulation" in the contract that would "pay" a fighter 1 million dollars in which Zuffa wouldn't have to pay it.....lol, so who does pay the 1 million-Spike?  lol, does SPIKE know about that? lol 

I don't know what you're smoking, but I want some.

1/3/13 12:50 PM
D241

I don't know what the specifics and spitulations are, but I know what they're not. And I'm not going to "guess" or assume what I think it is and pass it off as fact.  I, don't do that.

1/3/13 1:09 PM
Tad Ghostal

Brasky - 
Tad Ghostal - I still don't understand how your example would work. For that stipulation to take effect he would have to sign the UFC contract which would prevent him from fighting on Spike. The UFC are contracted to Fox and can't put fights on Spike.

My god.....

Care to explain?
1/3/13 1:25 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Because the fight won't air on spike tv (if he's with Zuffa) but for Bellator to match it would have to (because that's who Bellator has a deal with). MMALOGIC, I don't think the would work legally. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:40 PM
Halligalli

Thats the point. If the UFC writes that stipulation into their contract and alvarez signs with them, theyll never have to pay it, because alvarez wont fight on spike.
On the other hand, if Bellator matches, and Alvarez signs with them, its gonna cost them a lot of money.
But thats just MMALOGICs thought process, i dont know if thats
(fucking il)legal.

Realistically, very little of the posters here understand the matching clause exactly.For example, how can Bellator match a PPV bonus etc.
we will just have to wait
1/3/13 1:57 PM
D241

I think it's proposterous(sp) to assume that one separate company(bellator/zuffa) has the right to make stipulations for a totally separate company(Spike).

There's a reason SF didn't do any cross over fights with UFC after Zuffa purchased. It's because SHOWTIME also had a say so.

To say that UFC will put a stipulation involving a company they have ZERO association with(Spike), is funny to me.  I just want to know what you're smoking to come to a crazy conclusion like that.

1/3/13 2:08 PM
Evadmils
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal - I still don't understand how your example would work. For that stipulation to take effect he would have to sign the UFC contract which would prevent him from fighting on Spike. The UFC are contracted to Fox and can't put fights on Spike.

My god Phone Post
1/3/13 2:11 PM
SupesUp
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal -
Brasky - 

My god.....

Care to explain?
Lol. Maybe a diagram and picture show is all that can save you at this point. Phone Post
1/3/13 2:28 PM
orcus

Jesus, it's not that hard to understand.

MMALOGIC's scenario is that Zuffa puts that stipulation in the contract they offer to Eddie. The contract says every time his fights air on Spike, he gets an additional $1 million. Eddie signs the contract. Zuffa never has to pay those bonuses because, obviously, his fights never air on Spike.

Bellator, if they want to keep Eddie, have to match the UFC's offer. Unfortunately this means that they would be paying out those $1 million bonuses all the time, obviously, because ALL of Eddie's fights with them would be airing on Spike.

Anyway, it's a ridiculous supposition. It would not hold up in court for one second. It's not a contract made in good faith. By that logic, Bellator could match it by offering $1 million for every time Eddie's fights aired on Fuel, or Fox, or FX, or NBC during ad breaks of Friends re-runs.

1/3/13 2:42 PM
Tad Ghostal

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand, a lot of you are acting on the idea that Bellator has to match the exact language of the UFC contract, whereas I'm assuming they have to match the real world value. The value of the '$1M for every fight on Spike' stipulation would be $0 if Alvarez signed with the UFC, so Bellator could say 'you get $10 for every fight on Spike' and it would have more actual value.

Another example would be if both contracts said 'you get 1% of PPV revenue', the Bellator contract would be worth much less, as they cannot even get as many viewers for a free fight as the UFC can for a PPV.
1/3/13 2:51 PM
orcus

Yes, it was absurd hypothetical.

1/3/13 2:51 PM
Tad Ghostal

orcus - 

Jesus, it's not that hard to understand.

MMALOGIC's scenario is that Zuffa puts that stipulation in the contract they offer to Eddie. The contract says every time his fights air on Spike, he gets an additional $1 million. Eddie signs the contract. Zuffa never has to pay those bonuses because, obviously, his fights never air on Spike.

Bellator, if they want to keep Eddie, have to match the UFC's offer. Unfortunately this means that they would be paying out those $1 million bonuses all the time, obviously, because ALL of Eddie's fights with them would be airing on Spike.

Anyway, it's a ridiculous supposition. It would not hold up in court for one second. It's not a contract made in good faith. By that logic, Bellator could match it by offering $1 million for every time Eddie's fights aired on Fuel, or Fox, or FX, or NBC during ad breaks of Friends re-runs.

If it would not hold up in court why would they put it in? That's what I don't understand. The way MMALOGIC wrote it seems as if he's saying it would prevent Bellator from signing him back.
1/3/13 4:16 PM
D241

I'm confused too.

What is the first thing that would make any logical person have any reason to believe that UFC would write up a contract and put "stipulations" on that contract in which Zuffa has ZERO ability to uphold?

First someone make sense of that to me, and then we'll continue with my other questions.

1/3/13 4:37 PM
SmackyBear
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

I'm confused too.

What is the first thing that would make any logical person have any reason to believe that UFC would write up a contract and put "stipulations" on that contract in which Zuffa has ZERO ability to uphold?

First someone make sense of that to me, and then we'll continue with my other questions.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your question. There's nothing for Zuffa to uphold in MMALOGIC's hypothetical poison pill provision. There's just a penalty if he is on specified platforms.

Poison pill provisions like that are very real, and actually a great strategy. If you're an American football fan, you may remember the Steve Hutchinson contract. His old team, the Seahawks, could match any offer he received. The Vikings signed him to an offer sheet that had a poison pill provision that guaranteed the contract in full if he was not the highest paid offensive lineman on his team, because they knew the Seahawks already had Walter Jones making more money. They didn't match and then signed a Vikings wide receiver with a poison pill provision of their own that paid the WR more if he played something like three games in the state of Minnesota (where the Vikings play) in a year, IIRC.
1/8/13 1:14 PM
D241

D241 - 

I don't know what the specifics and spitulations are, but I know what they're not. And I'm not going to "guess" or assume what I think it is and pass it off as fact.  I, don't do that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.