UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey not proving to be a big ticket seller...yet

1/3/13 12:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Whambo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have NP with her headling a card, but it shoulda been an FX card not a PPV. If Cyborg was the opponent then sure, but she is such a heavy favourite and people aren't expecting much of a fight. You wanna pay 60 bucks to see Rhonda armbar another girl in 2 mins that's on you.
1/3/13 12:04 PM
Death Beast
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC screwed themselves here by putting her in the Main Event of a PPV for the debut of WMMA in the UFC. I get that the champ should get top billing....but nothing was stopping them from putting another title fight on the same card that could have gotten the main event and let Rousey/Carmouche have co-main. They've done that with the lighter weight titles plenty of times. The event would still get just as much coverage with her as co-main so I don't see the downside.
1/3/13 1:31 PM
40oztofreedom
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe the main event should be Rousey vs all the UFC signed females, one after another in a row outside the cage. That should stretch it out a few rounds at least, and we won't have to see it again Phone Post
1/3/13 1:32 PM
UGSlapshot

Dana is setting wmma up to fail. I don't have a problem with placing her defenses in the co-main event position onece or twice a year.

But I think you should plan on surrounding the fight with big fights. If they are deadset on building a woman's division then have her headline fox cards and start building the division so fans have a reason to care. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:34 PM
sacredhate
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

octowussy - Y'all are talking like this was obvious from day one, but plenty of people on the UG argued that she was a proven commodity and were bringing up Strikeforce ratings (which declined with every event) as some sort of evidence. So where are those goons?

i argued that a championship match should always be a main event to help with legitimacy of wmma...but have always thought a co-main event was the way to go until it had gained more acceptance.
1/3/13 5:04 PM
kalki

do not want
1/3/13 5:32 PM
Chomas
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Plus no one expects the fight to be close. Phone Post
1/3/13 5:40 PM
CindyO

Nucky - 

Rousey vs Cyborg is what the fans want to see not carmouche.

This, unfortunately. Perhaps Cyborg will be next if she can make 135.

Cindy

1/3/13 5:43 PM
pegson123

It was bloody Christmas time, Of course tickets are a bit slower. Geez 5 thousand in 2 weeks in bloody fine. FFS

1/3/13 9:41 PM
Tolstolobic

Sofa King Cool - This whole Rousey in the UFC main eventing PPVs.... Just...

Phone Post
But Dana said its good...

Or no?? Phone Post
1/3/13 10:07 PM
ufcman187

Hendo was fighting back when Honda was making weed brownies in her easy back oven for the Diaz bros. I won't pay 50 bucks to see him get shitted on and moved to co-main even over someone who has never fought in the UFC before
1/3/13 10:30 PM
SickEyeDiaz
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This PPV will do big numbers. Like it says in the OP, she will be on TV everywhere the week leading up to the fight. She'll get asses in seats guaranteed.

1/3/13 10:31 PM
Jaybrone
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It aint hating people. It is like asking someone to pay NBA ticket prices for WNBA. It aint happening. Yes there are some good fights on the card but when the headliner is a 15-1 favorite and a woman in sports not many people are going to pay those kinds of prices.

1/3/13 10:33 PM
guardbr8kr

Dana, thinking with his dick , again.
1/3/13 10:39 PM
Korpiklaani

per - 
Lasko - They turned this card from a must buy to a must stream by making this the main event. One of the few cards I won't buy this year, although each year that number grows.

Do you buy cards depending on the order fights are arranged rather than what fights are on the card?

Hendo and Machida are still on the main card...........

lol no shit, its a good card either way, funny to see people so upset females are coming into the ufc, rousey rocks
1/3/13 10:55 PM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

easedel - With the past what? 2 years of cards getting changed constantly due to injuries, can you really be surprised by sales not selling out that far in advanced??

This. Hendo or Machida get injured and this card is fucked. Instantly.

1/3/13 11:16 PM
Barbalos

Should have kept ticket prices lower to make this debacle look better.
1/3/13 11:34 PM
Lex_o

Makin a big Deal out of nothing. the tickets went on sale at a weird time like right before Christmas. Then you have to deal with new years and spending all that money like i went to Vegas. Give everybody a moment to get things back to norml n i know ima buy my tickets Phone Post
1/4/13 1:48 AM
GroundStPound

I've bought tix for my chick and me for xmas and now she can't get the time away from work...it looks like I will be selling for way less than face value.

Super bummed I thought they were going to sell out in days... good job I didn't spend the £1000 on flights tho!!

Will be looking to make it over to for my next stateside card later in the year, fingers crossed there is something on at the Staples centre in April. Phone Post
1/4/13 2:03 AM
JimmersonzGlove
507 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ornoku - Every time she fought for showtime it was some kind of free weekend thing going on, I think that may have a little to do with the "good" ratings she was able to get on showtime.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the ratings for premium networks are based off of subscriber homes only..not those who have it during the free week.

1/4/13 3:24 AM
HandyDarsh
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess it's hard to sell a female main event with 15-1 odds, BUT SERIOUSLY WHO COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT? Phone Post
1/4/13 3:39 AM
Res ispa loquitur
685 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought tickets a few days after they went on sale.  It's gonna be a great night of fights regardless  of the "title" fight. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.