UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fabricio Werdum vs Cain Velasquez

1/3/13 12:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sub Aquatic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/03/13 12:53 AM

So as much as I love Big Nog I really want Werdum to get past him so we have a potential Cain vs Werdum matchup on our hands. I genuinely think Werdum is the toughest matchup in the division for Cain.

Here's why;

Cain has a brown belt and all round solid BJJ but how long can he hang around on the ground without getting caught by a guy of Werdum's caliber? A guy who's very active and always dangerous off his back. Cain's wrestling neutralizes a lot of guys but letting Werdum grab hold of your limbs for any period of time is a dangerous game for anybody.

Cain's striking is so effective partly because of his excellent ability to change levels, all his opponents are forced to drop there hands attempting to defend the constant threat of a takedown. Werdum might be the first guy to really go after Cain on the feet with no fear of the takedown, he might even pull guard! Cain likes to move forward and regularly clinches when closing distance and Werdum has looked outstanding lately from the clinch landing big knees. I really think his striking is underrated, he's shown huge improvements in recent years. I think without the fear of takedown he may even outstrike Cain standing. 

Something I dont often see people talk about is Werdums chin and ability to recover fast. With such a dangerous guard he's a really difficult guy to put away, you don't want to go diving into his guard looking for the finish - as Fedor found out. Outside of that massive ear wobbling JDS uppercut he's fought a lot of guys with very heavy hands with none of them being able to finish him. I don't think he was very well prepared and somewhat underestimated a relatively unknown at the time debuting JDS.

I'm a fan of the Reem and would like to see him get a title fight but as an MMA fan I actually think I would rather see how JDS vs Reem + Cain vs Werdum plays out, very intriguing matchups!

What say you UG, anyone else think Werdum has a good chance of dethroning Cain?

1/3/13 12:45 AM
semtex0809
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Werdum vs jds 2 should happen before Phone Post
1/3/13 12:46 AM
BeatonHauff
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain in similar fashion that the Bigfoot fight went.

1/3/13 12:51 AM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am always amazed at the lack of respect werdum gets.

OP gets VTFU! Phone Post
1/3/13 12:52 AM
Acidic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

semtex0809 -  Werdum vs jds 2 should happen before Phone Post

No thank you. I rather see interesting style vs style matches that have never happened as opposed ones that already happened. 

I like the idea of the winner of AO vs Big foot fighting JDS and the winner if Werdum wins he faces Cain.

1/3/13 12:57 AM
ItBurnsWheniOG
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Acidic -
semtex0809 -  Werdum vs jds 2 should happen before Phone Post

No thank you. I rather see interesting style vs style matches that have never happened as opposed ones that already happened. 

I like the idea of the winner of AO vs Big foot fighting JDS and the winner if Werdum wins he faces Cain.

This makes sense to me... I want JDS and Reem to go at it an Werdum VS Cain would be a great fight to watch. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:01 AM
MarkRobinson
1345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like this match up. Werdums stand up has been looking so much better than when he was open hand slapping Arlovski. He was super impressive against Nelson. 

Also, i dont think the Bigfoot fight is as telling as some would like to think. The blood in bigfoots eyes really effected him plus i think Werdum is more dangerous off his back. 

I like the sound of this fight almost as much as JDS vs Overeem. 

1/3/13 1:03 AM
WestCoastMXC

BeatonHauff -

Cain in similar fashion that the Bigfoot fight went.

Was coming into this thread to post this.

Cain will KO Werdum on the feet or get a bloody TKO. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:08 AM
MasterofMartialArts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Werdums striking has improved greatly, but I still think Cain will take him down and ground and pound him. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:14 AM
lgi

I think Werdum's strategy will annihilate Cain:
http://oi42.tinypic.com/2ufrb0l.jpg
1/3/13 1:29 AM
Sub Aquatic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lgi - I think Werdum's strategy will annihilate Cain:
http://oi42.tinypic.com/2ufrb0l.jpg

1/3/13 1:31 AM
Sub Aquatic

1/3/13 1:37 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VU OP.  Werdum is not even the same fighter he was even in SF.  That Roy Nelson destruction showed he has vastly improved on his MT, but also willing to be very aggressive with it.  Those knees are mcnasty.  

Plus, Werdum's in person persona is as cool as it seems that it would be.  Cool dude and funny as hell. 

1/3/13 1:45 AM
DWray
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see this.

Bluenamer:

http://i.imgur.com/ENh9Lh.jpg
1/3/13 1:49 AM
Kings21
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Aquatic - 

I keep expecting him to ask me if I know how he got his scars.
1/3/13 1:50 AM
Haulport

For DWray

1/3/13 1:51 AM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/03/13 1:51 AM

Edit: Nevermind... lol

1/3/13 1:53 AM
KZTT_W85
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would make for a great fight.

Great gif. Phone Post
1/3/13 3:54 AM
ThePeoplesYhundi
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a story to that face he makes??^^^
See it in most threads where Werdum is mentioned. Phone Post
1/3/13 4:19 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think werdum has a good chance to beat cain, his standup has become vicious and obviously has the most dangerous BJJ in the division. just depends on gameplans of them both IMO Phone Post
1/3/13 9:01 AM
Proteus The Invincible

I've been dying to see Werdum against either Cain or Cormier. It's such a shame that Werdum's tied up with The Ultimate Fighter, especially since Nogueira isn't even an interesting fight for him.
1/3/13 9:34 AM
Randy Watson
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Country is no defensive wizard. You can drive a truck through his guard.... Just a little perspective on Werdum's much improved striking.
1/3/13 10:03 AM
ortman166

The only way I see Cain winning this is via wallnstall. Phone Post
1/3/13 11:51 AM
UGCTT_ForeverOwnedByFryedTakayama
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ortman166 - The only way I see Cain winning this is via wallnstall. Phone Post
Really? The guy that just DEMOLISHED jds will only beat werdum by wall and stall???.

Get the fuck out of here Phone Post
1/3/13 1:26 PM
LayzieTheSavage
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.middleeasy.com, Videographer
Vai Cavalo Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.