UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> NCAA Wrestling

1/3/13 12:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Fillthy
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge Iowa Hawkeyes fan, and Friday is the start of the our run at the NCAA Championships with #4 Ohio State. 

#2 OK State on Jan 13th, then Michigan and Michigan St (1 day rest in between).

#3 Minnesota on Jan 26th

And then #1 Penn State on Feb 1st, followed by #9 Illinois, #12 Nebraska, and #17 Edinboro to close out the regular season.  It's a tough row to hoe, but I think the Hawks have it in them to climb back on top.

NCAA Championships are in Des Moines this year, hopefully I can find my way home around that time.

Who ya got, UG?

1/3/13 12:57 AM
Lux Fixxins
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Penn St.
1/3/13 2:18 AM
Silhouette
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cant go against penn st

sanderson has built a powerhouse
1/5/13 3:22 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tough to tell if Iowa looked great, or if OState looked like garbage.  But Iowa definitely put the wood to the Buckeyes last night.  Mike Evans introduced Heflin to the Iowa Style, and ground him down - despite giving up a 'fluke' takedown early.  He pushed the pace and forced overtime, and it was obvious Heflin was gassed and desperate.  I think I was most impressed with Burak, he really looked like a Top10 wrestler.

Of course I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Logan Steibler vs Tony Ramos, but I understand why Coach Ryan would choose to 'run today, fight another day'.  Logan has his eye on the NCAA Championship, and it doesn't help him at all to wrestle the #2 guy, on Ramos's home mat, when what Logan really needs is to get healthy.

Go Hawks!

1/5/13 3:38 PM
future_champ
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Northern Iowa :)
1/5/13 6:13 PM
10eroftheyear
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Live in ithaca, wife is a grad student at cornell, Kyle Dake's dad was my high school wrestling coach, he was on the mats with us in 1994 as a toddler, gotta go with cornell, but they're only ranked 8th in the nation right now. Dake vs Taylor in nationals is gonna be a barn burner, Dake has had his number, but that only means that Taylor is due, should be interesting Phone Post
1/5/13 6:54 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy

Tough for me to enjoy watching Kyle's matches.  

No disrespect to his skills, the guy is a monster.  But most of his matches that I've seen consist of a takedown in the 1st period and accumulating riding time.  I think if he was less of a 'name' in collegiate wrestling, he'd be getting hit with a lot more stalling calls.  Nothing against the guy, he wrestles his match and wins.  But from a fan's perspective, it's not very exciting.

That being said, I think he could crossover in to MMA with a lot of success.  Great takedowns and mat control are the recipe for a Fitch-tastic career.

1/5/13 7:02 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT,

I am an Oklahoma State fan. I think Penn state will win the NCAA's, followed by Oklahoma, then Minesota and may be Missouri.

Oklahoma State will dominate Iowa next week in the dual. I see an ass whooping coming: Oliver, Perry, Morrison, Chinouma and Z will win. Can't wait.
1/5/13 7:04 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait to see Brands going insane again.
1/5/13 7:19 PM
SinCityHustler

judom - UGCTT,

I am an Oklahoma State fan. I think Penn state will win the NCAA's, followed by Oklahoma, then Minesota and may be Missouri.

Oklahoma State will dominate Iowa next week in the dual. I see an ass whooping coming: Oliver, Perry, Morrison, Chinouma and Z will win. Can't wait.

Interesting, I don't think I've heard anyone else pick Oklahoma to finish as high as 2nd. 

Barring injury or team suspenssions, Penn State really looks like they have this one locked up.  Their showing at the Southern Scuffel really made a statememnt for their team strength this season.  WIth 2 National Championship contenders out of their line up, (149 and 157) they still won the tournament over the #2 and #3 teams in the country.  That's impressive.  

My personal pick is with Cal Poly to score some points and look to get some guys in the medal matches.  

Some story lines to follow include:

125: Can Iowa's McDonough win his 3rd National Title over  a host of tough underclassmen?  I hope not!

133: Logan Steiber, possibly the very best wrestler in college today looking to repeat at 133 pounds and win his 2nd National Title.  I think he beats up Ramos pretty good in the final

141: Maple, Steiber, who's going to win it?  

149: Lots of horses here including Oklahoma State Penn State and Ohio State looking to get a finalist for the team race.

157: Ditto as above, Penn State and Iowa should contend

165: The dream final betwen Dake and Taylor.  Can't wait, lets go Taylor

174 people will still be catching their breath after the 165 pound final and will probably miss this final altogether. 

184: RUTH RUTH RUTH

197: This weight is loaded.  Can't wait to see how it pans out. 

HWT Z Z Z Z and in z I mean OSU heavyweight

1/5/13 8:36 PM
wiggum
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oklahoma will challenge PSU next year. Not this one.

SCH - great post.
1/5/13 8:36 PM
judom

Edited: 01/05/13 8:39 PM

SinCity,

At the Scuffle last week, Oklahoma State finished 2nd and this was without Rosholt. So I think they can be second come NCAA's.

For NCAA's, I think Oliver wins it. Potentially Chris Perry as well. Morrison can do some noise.

And I am banking on Z, but I am worried that he is a little too small for HWT. He lost to Bradley and Nelson in close matches. He needs to figure some things out. I thought Z would be more dominant, but he has shown he is not yet there. Hopefully, he gets into grove in the next months.

Oklahoma State vs. Iowa -- can't wait to see Brands go nuts again !

I am also impressed by Alex Dieringer from Oklahoma State, he was undefeated up to the Scuffle where he lost a close one in the semis. He can also do some noise.

Oh and btw, Taylor got screwed vs. Dake at the Scuffle. Taylor can beat him but Dake finds a way to win.

wiggum,

not sure OST will challenge PSU, Z is retiring and the other HWT (Marsden ?) is not as good. And PSU will not get weaker.

1/5/13 9:05 PM
Brabo Fett

Long shot but let's to lehigh! Phone Post
1/5/13 9:13 PM
UGCTT_ForeverOwnedByFryedTakayama
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Penn State by rape rape.

.... Too soon? Phone Post
1/5/13 10:56 PM
SinCityHustler

judom - 

SinCity,

At the Scuffle last week, Oklahoma State finished 2nd and this was without Rosholt. So I think they can be second come NCAA's.

For NCAA's, I think Oliver wins it. Potentially Chris Perry as well. Morrison can do some noise.

And I am banking on Z, but I am worried that he is a little too small for HWT. He lost to Bradley and Nelson in close matches. He needs to figure some things out. I thought Z would be more dominant, but he has shown he is not yet there. Hopefully, he gets into grove in the next months.

Oklahoma State vs. Iowa -- can't wait to see Brands go nuts again !

I am also impressed by Alex Dieringer from Oklahoma State, he was undefeated up to the Scuffle where he lost a close one in the semis. He can also do some noise.

Oh and btw, Taylor got screwed vs. Dake at the Scuffle. Taylor can beat him but Dake finds a way to win.

wiggum,

not sure OST will challenge PSU, Z is retiring and the other HWT (Marsden ?) is not as good. And PSU will not get weaker.

OK I see what's going on here.  You posted Oklahoma but meant Oklahoma State.  I agree OSU should be right near the top but i don't see them knocking off PSU. 

Agreed on Taylor/Dake.  I think Taylor's been holding back a little and we'll see him open up come NCAAs.  Either way, it will be one for the ages and I too want to see Brnads melt down, nothing nicer than to see the Pokes get after it and give him a few grey hairs.        

1/6/13 12:42 AM
Greg Southworth

Going to Strikeforce OKC with Kenny Monday then to the dual vs Iowa the next day in Stillwater. Can't wait - it's going to be a great weekend! Phone Post
1/6/13 5:41 AM
judom

I noticed Kenny Monday is on the coaching staff at Oklahoma State. Is this permanent ?

Check this out: they have 3 Olympic Medalists between Monday, Smith and Scott in the coaching staff. No other program has that.
1/6/13 7:53 AM
TenOfSwords
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The NCAA Wrestling Championships = The real March Madness!

1/6/13 7:57 AM
Triple_B
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greg Southworth -  Going to Strikeforce OKC with Kenny Monday then to the dual vs Iowa the next day in Stillwater. Can't wait - it's going to be a great weekend! Phone Post

I thought he ran a wrestling club in Texas?
1/6/13 8:43 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SinCityHustler -
judom - UGCTT,

Interesting, I don't think I've heard anyone else pick Oklahoma to finish as high as 2nd. 

Barring injury or team suspenssions, Penn State really looks like they have this one locked up.  Their showing at the Southern Scuffel really made a statememnt for their team strength this season.  WIth 2 National Championship contenders out of their line up, (149 and 157) they still won the tournament over the #2 and #3 teams in the country.  That's impressive.  

My personal pick is with Cal Poly to score some points and look to get some guys in the medal matches.  

125: Can Iowa's McDonough win his 3rd National Title over  a host of tough underclassmen?  I hope not!

133: Logan Steiber, possibly the very best wrestler in college today looking to repeat at 133 pounds and win his 2nd National Title.  I think he beats up Ramos pretty good in the final

149: Lots of horses here including Oklahoma State Penn State and Ohio State looking to get a finalist for the team race.

174 people will still be catching their breath after the 165 pound final and will probably miss this final altogether. 

Maple really impressed me last year when I saw him wrestle. I think I saw Midlands and he destroyed Iowa's wrestler who was ranked number 1 or 2 if I remember correctly....then he shit the bed at nationals. I am really looking forward to Dake v. Taylor. I think Dake takes its though. Phone Post
1/6/13 9:12 AM
wiggum
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judom - Oklahoma, not Oklahoma State. Cody will be pulling Patterson, Howe, and Rutt from redshirts. Should be really tough.

Taylor got screwed. On the non-escape even more than the reversal. He keeps closing the gap (Olympic trials-->All Star-->Scuffle). It'll be tough for Dake to win another one of those. But, Dake always shines at the end of the year.
1/6/13 9:16 AM
judom

wiggum, didn't oklahoma state whip oklahoma at bedlam ? are you saying suddenly oklahoma will be much more competitive ?
1/6/13 9:45 AM
GregBell
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SinCityHustler - 
judom - UGCTT,

Morgan mcintosh going to ride it out if wright beats him out? He still has his redshirt right.
1/6/13 11:21 AM
wiggum

judom - wiggum, didn't oklahoma state whip oklahoma at bedlam ? are you saying suddenly oklahoma will be much more competitive ?

Exactly what I'm saying.

Oklahoma red shirted 4-5 of their best guys. Next year should be special.
1/6/13 11:25 AM
garrote
368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.