UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does Anderson have KO power?

1/3/13 1:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dana Stern
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont believe Anderson has ever hit a guy with one punch and put them to sleep. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:10 PM
Samoa
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 
Fast Pitch - James Irvin would say yes.
He one punched KO'd Irvin? No. He doesn't possess that kind of power. He possesses laser accuracy with very good power and then swarms for a ref stoppage. Phone Post

'Swarms'? That makes it sound like he swings wildly until the ref pulls him off. One of the things I find most impressive is his accuracy when punching a downed opponent. Irvin was covering up and he still managed to land cleanly.
That's not what I meant.....but review the finishes of his fights.....that's what I meant.

People area misunderstanding what I mean so will be clear:

Anderson does NOT have one punch end the fight touch you and done power. Fedor, Henderson, Rampage, Hunt, Carwin, Hendricks, Condit, kind of power.

I'm not denigrating the guy. I'm not saying he isn't the GOAT, but I am writing the truth. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:11 PM
Samoa
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -
Samoa - 
He one punched KO'd Irvin? No. He doesn't possess that kind of power. He possesses laser accuracy with very good power and then swarms for a ref stoppage. Phone Post

Wasn't it the first punch that dropped Irvin, broke his orbital, and made him go fetal? The remaining punches were academic.

Also the only one who didn't need to flail away on Forrest to pound him out. Anderson didn't even bother to follow up on the ground.

Was he knocked out....or not? Yes, or no. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:14 PM
Yoghurt

Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

'Swarms'? That makes it sound like he swings wildly until the ref pulls him off. One of the things I find most impressive is his accuracy when punching a downed opponent. Irvin was covering up and he still managed to land cleanly.
That's not what I meant.....but review the finishes of his fights.....that's what I meant.

Anderson does NOT have one punch end the fight touch you and done power. Fedor, Henderson, Rampage, Hunt, Carwin, Hendricks, Condit, kind of power.

I'm not denigrating the guy. I'm not saying he isn't the GOAT, but I am writing the truth. Phone Post

Condit next to Fedor,Hendo,Carwin and Hunt? Derp
1/3/13 1:15 PM
rumble_fish
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

I'm with you on the anderson stuff, but putting Condit in that list of names for power punchers? WHUT?
1/3/13 1:15 PM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

Swarm is actually quite an apt word now that I think about it, especially considering the 'Killer Bee' moniker. I definitely disagree with Orcus' use of the word flail though, landing straight punches is the opposite of flailing.
1/3/13 1:21 PM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IDOHARM - 
Tad Ghostal -
IDOHARM -  Stephen Bonnar-TKO, Chael Sonnen-TKO, Vitor Belfort-KO, Yushin Okami-TKO, Forrest Griffin-KO, James Irvin-KO, Rich Franklin-TKO and KO, Nate Marquardt-TKO, Chris Leben-KO, Tony Fryklund-KO, Curtis Stout-KO.

There were more, but I think you've got the point. Phone Post

Did you read my OP or just the title of the thread?

I'm not questioning his ability to finish a fight, I'm wondering if the fact he has little raw power (compared to a guy like Hendricks, who obviously does have KO power) makes it even more impressive that he finishes so many fighters.

Also, there aren't any KOs in MMA i.e. on the record books, only TKOs.
A KO would be considered a complete loss of consciousness, whereas a TKO would be attributed to Ref stoppage while the fighter still maintains some basic motor functions. That's the difference.

I read your entire question, and his fight records definitively answers it. Anderson Silva is a knockout artist in all respects, and you'd need power and accuracy to produce the record that he has. Phone Post

Who determines a complete loss of consciousness? The term KO comes from boxing and means that you didn't beat the 10 count, there's no 10 count in MMA so there's no KOs.
1/3/13 1:37 PM
Damaynevent

I think a fighter's knockout power in my opinion depends upon the chin of the guy he's fighting. Of course timing & accuracy comes into play as well and Anderson is second to none when it comes to those attributes.
1/3/13 1:38 PM
Samoa

Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

I was thinking of one punch KO's and Condits knockout of Hardy came to mind. Maybe you can derp an example of a one PUNCH / walk away KO punch of Anderson's? Which punch?

That would mean that Condit POSSESSESthe power for it, if he did it, right? Phone Post
1/3/13 1:42 PM
theseanster
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/3/13 1:44 PM
Samoa

spinningfapkick - Lol at Anderson not having KO power. Bunch of idiots. This is why I stay on the OG. Phone Post
Definitely has KO power; in bunches. However, definitely does NOT have one-punch, one-and-done, walk away as they fall power. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:44 PM
mestregruber
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the only fighters to ever drop Hendo with a punch. I personally think Dan was basically TKO'd before Anderson cinched up the RNC, too.
1/3/13 1:46 PM
BradGluckman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/3/13 1:49 PM
Yoghurt

Samoa - 
Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

I was thinking of one punch KO's and Condits knockout of Hardy came to mind. Maybe you can derp an example of a one PUNCH / walk away KO punch of Anderson's? Which punch?

That would mean that Condit POSSESSESthe power for it, if he did it, right? Phone Post

Point to a specific place in my post where i said Condit does not possess KO power.
1/3/13 1:50 PM
Yoghurt

BradGluckman - 

Hilarious!
1/3/13 1:54 PM
Beards
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Well, put it like this.

If you can breathe, he can put you down in cartoon-like fashion.

awesome
1/3/13 1:54 PM
Samoa

spinningfapkick -
Samoa -
spinningfapkick - Lol at Anderson not having KO power. Bunch of idiots. This is why I stay on the OG. Phone Post
Definitely has KO power; in bunches. However, definitely does NOT have one-punch, one-and-done, walk away as they fall power. Phone Post
Refer to the griffin gif please. That's Anderson pawing at someone's jaw, and them dropping. Are you saying you would be willing to let silva smash you in the face once to prove your point? Phone Post
Nothing has nothing to do with nothing. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:55 PM
Phil999

Samoa - 
orcus -
Samoa -  He doesn't have one-punch lights out power. He doesn't need it though and he lights up guys that so have it. Speed doesn't slump.....until age removes it.

When his speed and reflexes leave him, (his trump card right now) we will see frightful beatings put on him. I for one, hope he retires before this happens.

Guys that have knockout power carry that with them through to the end of their careers; it keeps them in very fight. Henderson and Goerge Foreman are extreme examples of this. When its speed and reflexes that a fighter has; when it "goes" they start to take beatings (Ali, Roy Jones, Ray Leonard). Phone Post

I don't know. Most mma strikers are just plain terrible, particularly on defense. Even without speed/reflexes, Anderson still has vastly greater skill, timing, and accuracy than most.

Yeah, my point is that when his speed and reflexes go and the deficit between him and his opponents is eliminated........ Phone Post

So your point is when he gets older and is unable to fight as well as he does now he will lose more?

Brilliant.
1/3/13 1:57 PM
Samoa

Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

Point to a specific place in my post where i said Condit does not possess KO power.
I put him in a group as possessing one punch KO power. If you did NOT disagree with him possessing that power, explain your response post with herp in it. Phone Post
1/3/13 2:02 PM
TzTinkle
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Archie Moore was once asked if he was a hard puncher, he said no just a sharp one. I think the same applies here.
1/3/13 2:05 PM
orcus

Samoa - 
orcus -
Samoa -  He doesn't have one-punch lights out power. He doesn't need it though and he lights up guys that so have it. Speed doesn't slump.....until age removes it.

When his speed and reflexes leave him, (his trump card right now) we will see frightful beatings put on him. I for one, hope he retires before this happens.

Guys that have knockout power carry that with them through to the end of their careers; it keeps them in very fight. Henderson and Goerge Foreman are extreme examples of this. When its speed and reflexes that a fighter has; when it "goes" they start to take beatings (Ali, Roy Jones, Ray Leonard). Phone Post

I don't know. Most mma strikers are just plain terrible, particularly on defense. Even without speed/reflexes, Anderson still has vastly greater skill, timing, and accuracy than most.

Yeah, my point is that when his speed and reflexes go and the deficit between him and his opponents is eliminated........ Phone Post

And what I was saying is that there will still be a large deficit between Anderson and his opponents. He has more than just speed and reflexes. Personally I don't even think he is particularly fast. 

1/3/13 2:07 PM
Yoghurt

Samoa - 
Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

I put him in a group as possessing one punch KO power. If you did NOT disagree with him possessing that power, explain your response post with herp in it. Phone Post

I refuse to believe that you lack the cognitive ability to see the difference between 100kg+ monsters(and hendricks who has maybe as much power as they do) and a dude that once landed a nice punch on Dan Hardy but usually throws nothing close to these guys in terms of power.
1/3/13 2:09 PM
Yoghurt

Also,Hardy wasn't out until the follow-up shot,so there's that.
1/3/13 2:10 PM
Samoa

Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Yoghurt -
Samoa - 
Tad Ghostal -
Samoa - 

I refuse to believe that you lack the cognitive ability to see the difference between 100kg+ monsters(and hendricks who has maybe as much power as they do) and a dude that once landed a nice punch on Dan Hardy but usually throws nothing close to these guys in terms of power.
Was the pre-req for the group to be monsters, or to possess one punch knockout power? Seriously answer that. Phone Post
1/3/13 2:11 PM
Samoa

Phil999 -
Samoa - 
orcus -

So your point is when he gets older and is unable to fight as well as he does now he will lose more?

Brilliant.
Reading comprehension is not your friend. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.