UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Favorite Pro Wrestling Announcer

1/3/13 12:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RoyMunson
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gorilla Monsoon was my all time favorite.  The energy he brought and him always scolding Jessie Ventura always takes me back to my " Golden Age of Wrestling", AKA when I was a kid.

1/3/13 12:19 PM
RoyMunson
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gorilla and Heenan was classic as well.

1/3/13 12:54 PM
The Destroyer88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has to be Jim Ross for me. Solie was great, Gorilla and Heenan were great in their own ways, even Vince McMahon was pretty good. Joey Styles is another favorite. Mike Tenay in WCW telling me about all these different lucha libres and names of moves and the story telling. Savage was good on commentating too. As was Ventura, he had me cracking up all the time. Vince and Jessie was a great combo, Gorilla and Jessie too.

JR has brought us some of the best commentary over the last 20+ years. He often gets criticized and shit on by Vince for being a story teller but that's what wrestling is, telling a story. And nobody does it better than good ol JR.

Honorable mentions to Attitude Era Jerry Lawler, Paul Heyman, JBL, and CM Punk.
1/3/13 1:06 PM
fryabusa
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Destroyer88 pretty much ended this thread.  Someone who I feel is underrated because of the Monday Night Wars is Tony Schiavone.  Early 90's Schiavone was as good as anyone, then he got lost on Nitro.

1/3/13 2:14 PM
RoyMunson

I enjoyed Schiavone as well but i always wondered how he came up with some of his move names.

1/4/13 4:06 PM
Perrywise
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lance Russell's voice will never leave my head. Phone Post
1/4/13 6:05 PM
Nuckin Futs
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ross followed by Solie. I thought Micheal PS Hayes did a great job working with Ross in the UWF. He was quick witted and it was different having a heel announcer at that time. I remember once a heel threw a face illegally over the top rope and Hayes was quick to point out how the face was so scared that he jumped over the top rope to save himself a further beating.
1/4/13 6:17 PM
Nonlinear

RoyMunson - 

Gorilla and Heenan was classic as well.

And here comes Brutus...

Legit lol.

1/4/13 7:32 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
896 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Styles then Ross

1/4/13 8:36 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

Styles then Ross

Joey Styles is a good one.. "OH MY GAWD!".. lol Joel Gertner announcing the Dudley Boys i always laughed aswell..

he always used to have a neck brace on.. haha Phone Post
1/4/13 9:05 PM
RoyMunson

I enjoyed Macho Man calling a match as well.

DIG IT.

1/4/13 9:25 PM
ArtMinaj

Good thread. 

1/5/13 12:23 AM
Shanks
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bill Mercer and Marc Lowrance Phone Post
1/5/13 3:20 AM
Gino_Corona

Brian "The Guppie" Stolovich Phone Post
1/5/13 3:26 AM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NO! NO! NO! .. everyone knows it was Mr. Billionaire himself.. Vincent Kennedy McMahon..!! and if you don' t agree........

"YOU'RE FIRED!".. lmao.. jk.. ;) Phone Post
1/5/13 3:29 AM
torquemada
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gordon Solie was great. Phone Post
1/5/13 6:07 AM
TSMontana
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Monsoon and Heenan, no can defense. Sorry, Southern wrasslin' fan.
1/5/13 1:02 PM
Stryfe
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TSMontana - Monsoon and Heenan, no can defense. Sorry, Southern wrasslin' fan.

Personally I rank Styles at the top but again that's my thought.

Dusty was good for his comedic relief.

I was just curious when you mentioned Monsoon and Heenan if you liked them seperated as much or was it the dynamic of them together?
1/5/13 1:48 PM
Chuck@NY
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gorilla and Jess > Gorilla and Brain

Of course Bobby was the GOAT manager though.
1/5/13 2:02 PM
RoyMunson

I forgot Piper and Gordon Solie worked together in Georgia.  I like Piper on a mic in any capacity.

1/5/13 3:38 PM
Nuckin Futs

RoyMunson - 

I forgot Piper and Gordon Solie worked together in Georgia.  I like Piper on a mic in any capacity.

I remember a good angle where Piper was a heel doing announcing and some other heel came to the announcers booth and was going to attack Solie and Piper turned face and made the save. I don't recall who the heel was though.
1/5/13 3:49 PM
Stryfe
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuckin Futs - 
RoyMunson - 

I remember a good angle where Piper was a heel doing announcing and some other heel came to the announcers booth and was going to attack Solie and Piper turned face and made the save. I don't recall who the heel was though.

Muraco I think but not sure
1/5/13 4:42 PM
TSMontana
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/05/13 4:42 PM
Stryfe - 

Personally I rank at the top but again that's my thought.

I was just curious when you mentioned Monsoon and Heenan if you liked them seperated as much or was it the dynamic of them together?

You make a good point. If it were just Monsoon alone as PBP guy, Joey smokes him. I guess Monsoon and Heenan are so inseparable in the fans' minds, we see them as one. LOL.
1/5/13 5:21 PM
Stryfe

TSMontana - 
Stryfe - 

Personally I rank at the top but again that's my thought.

You make a good point. If it were just Monsoon alone as PBP guy, Joey smokes him. I guess Monsoon and Heenan are so inseparable in the fans' minds, we see them as one. LOL.

Please don't misunderstand I wasn't trying to say the guy I liked better was better than the guys you liked. You like who you like but I was just curious. Most of the time you hear Monsoon mentioned with Bobby and then sometimes Bobby is just mentioned on his own but I rarely hear Monsoon mentioned without Heenan.
1/5/13 6:48 PM
Gino_Corona

Best announcing trio: Gorilla, Heenan and Piper (summerslam 91) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.