UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Favorite Pro Wrestling Announcer

1/5/13 6:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
540 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Monsoon and Heenan were the perfect combo in the booth, imo

Interestingly though. The Observer gives out a "worst announcer" award every year. Who has the record for most "worst announcer" awards? Gorilla Monsoon with 6. Ridiculous
1/5/13 7:05 PM
TSMontana
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/05/13 7:16 PM
Stryfe - 
TSMontana - 
Stryfe - 
TSMontana - Monsoon and Heenan, no can defense. Sorry, Southern wrasslin' fan.

Personally I rank at the top but again that's my thought.

Dusty was good for his comedic relief.

I was just curious when you mentioned Monsoon and Heenan if you liked them seperated as much or was it the dynamic of them together?

You make a good point. If it were just Monsoon alone as PBP guy, Joey smokes him. I guess Monsoon and Heenan are so inseparable in the fans' minds, we see them as one. LOL.

Please don't misunderstand I wasn't trying to say the guy I liked better was better than the guys you liked. You like who you like but I was just curious. Most of the time you hear Monsoon mentioned with Bobby and then sometimes Bobby is just mentioned on his own but I rarely hear Monsoon mentioned without Heenan.

No, I get what you are saying, completely. You could even break it out by PBP (Joey gets the nod from me, sorry Gordon Solie fans) and "Color" (which Heenan is, bar none (imo), the best ever at). Monsoon and Heenan had that "it" factor, which made them greater than the sum of those two individually. Poor Heenan had to carry Tony Schiavone on some of those shows he did with him...ugh. Maybe that's why I forgot about him individually.

I also think JR, while a good announcer, is a little bit overrated and romanticized, since he was calling action during the most legendary time of WWF/E (although one could also make that argument for Joey, as well, for the ECW matches he called). A lot of those storylines sold themselves. Monsoon and Heenan had to sell guys like Hercules and Brutus Beefcake as formidable opponents.
1/7/13 9:22 AM
The Destroyer88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - Monsoon and Heenan were the perfect combo in the booth, imo

Interestingly though. The Observer gives out a "worst announcer" award every year. Who has the record for most "worst announcer" awards? Gorilla Monsoon with 6. Ridiculous

I was going to ask how David Crockett didn't win those years but it looks like David won from 86-88. Jesus that guy was terrible. How Monsoon won that award six times is beyond me. Maybe by himself he was mediocre but pair him up with pretty much everyone and he was great.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.