UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Report: 10 female fighters under UFC contract

1/3/13 6:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Dave Meltzer's massive Jan 7 2013 Wrestling Observer Newsletter contains a great deal of compelling news items, including these three:

10 women fighters under UFC contract

Right now there are ten women fighters under UFC contract, the obvious ones being Rousey, Miesha Tate, Sarah Kaufman, Sara McMann and Liz Carmouche. They are said to be close to a deal with Cris Cyborg to come in at 135 (all the women under contract will be only fighting at 135). Tito Ortiz is her manager and that could make things entertaining. Cyborg, if she signs, would likely go for the title in her first match. While this doesn’t always happen, the idea is that they try and give everyone under contract three fights, which means over the course of the year, about 15 women’s fights or maybe one every other show. It’s not just going to be Rousey defends and nothing else. It’s a full division, probably along the lines of the flyweights.

Ronda Rousey trashes male boxer

Here’s a funny story, probably certain to be denied, but there is actually video of it although for obvious reasons I don’t ever expect the video to surface. Vic Darchinyan, a pretty well known boxer of Armenian descent who has held several world titles, was in a gym with Rousey, who trains judo with a number of Armenians including Karo Parisyan and Manvel Gamburyan. Somehow, this led to him claiming that no woman could ever throw him or armbar him. So they locked up and she launched him with throws one after the other and he had no way of stopping any of them. Then they went to grapple and it was seconds before she armbarred him and his people broke it up right away for fear she could hurt him with the move.

The TUF beast

The new season of Ultimate Fighter starts on 1/22. Taping ended several weeks back. This is what I’ve heard about the show from multiple sources. The Jones vs. Sonnen stuff never heats up to the level near what one would expect. Sonnen comes across as being there to help coach his charges as opposed to being there to play pro wrestler and hype up a fight and the belief is he comes across great. But those expecting a Jackson vs. Evans, GSP vs. Koscheck, Shamrock vs. Ortiz or even a Bisping vs. Miller like dynamic with the coaches will be disappointed. The fights are apparently great, and this comes from a number of people, and not just Dana White’s hyping of the show. White has talked about one guy on the show that everyone is afraid of. There is apparently one guy who will be the star of the season and one person told me that this person will come right out of the show and be an instant star. Others didn’t go quite that far in saying instant star, and the guy would still have to win the season since the finals won’t be until April. I just keep thinking back to when White hyped a season around a fighter walking in and being the next Anderson Silva, and the guy ended up being the first and only Philippe Nover, who ended up losing in the finals and being out of the UFC quickly and is completely forgotten today.

Read entire article... (subscription)

1/3/13 6:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yellow wrkahlc
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Urijah switching divisions again?

1/3/13 6:51 PM
Argo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  10 too many Phone Post

Better that than 1 too many bigots.
1/3/13 6:53 PM
KZTT_W85
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael mentioned on one of the post fight shows that jones was pleasant to work with and they were genuinely there to coach up and coming fighters.

If the talent and fights are good and adding that attitude by the coaches then it is WAY better than some boring season with awkward scripted trash talk. Phone Post
1/3/13 7:00 PM
MisterHawkeMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All of that is great to hear. Love when the coaches seem like they actually give a damn about coaching.

The women's division could be huge in a year. Especially if they are smart enough to let Rousey and Cyborg coach ALL WOMEN on TUF!!! (Assuming Rousey beats Carmouche)

There are a TON of quality female martial artist just waiting to be discovered. This could be like watching the first TUF minus all the gay obstacle courses.

Hopefully Gina Carano fights this year also. Rousey v. carano could do huge numbers on Fox.
1/3/13 7:05 PM
Pat Giles

MisterHawkeMMA - All of that is great to hear. Love when the coaches seem like they actually give a damn about coaching.

The women's division could be huge in a year. Especially if they are smart enough to let Rousey and Cyborg coach ALL WOMEN on TUF!!! (Assuming Rousey beats Carmouche)

There are a TON of quality female martial artist just waiting to be discovered. This could be like watching the first TUF minus all the gay obstacle courses.

Hopefully Gina Carano fights this year also. Rousey v. carano could do huge numbers on Fox.
Gina couldn't make it in the UFC. She couldn't make 135. Phone Post
1/3/13 7:15 PM
panic686
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 

Urijah switching divisions again?

Couldn't let this gem get overlooked lol
1/3/13 7:15 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - 10 too many Phone Post
your an idiot Phone Post
1/3/13 7:16 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

loving the addition of the fighters to the ufc Phone Post
1/3/13 7:18 PM
yellow wrkahlc
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how Dom feels about having to share the title of "UFC Bantamweight Champion" with two other individuals.

1/3/13 7:33 PM
Authority Figure

I'm pumped.

JustAnotherMMAFan
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*** Fingers crossed that Marloes is in the UFC!!!

Let's see: Ronda, Miesha, Kaufmann, McMann and Liz Carmouche.

Other possible names would include Alexis Davis, Shayna Baszler, Amanda Nunes, Marloes Coenen, Julie Kedzie, Cat Zingano and Sarah D'Alelio...

I think this list would make sense now... except that Amanda Nunes, Alexis Davis and Shayna Baszler are fighting for Invicta this Saturday.

Maybe, they are expecting the card to be through to announce they are in the UFC.
Authority Figure

Oh, and Dave is a douche.

1/3/13 7:46 PM
Bailx
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

regardless of whether gina can make that weight... UFC i'm sure will push hard to get her.

she's looked kind of fat in some of her movie roles (even though she is hot as hell)... i bet she could make that weight if she really got in great shape... not like she was ever really ripped in the past or anything...

then again... she doesn't pump a bunch of steroids into her veins either... will be interesting to see how cyborg does with this cut... mike dolce can make it happen if anyone can i guess.
1/3/13 8:13 PM
Mushroom Slap
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great more divisions no one gives a shit about.
1/3/13 8:16 PM
Mushroom Slap
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Argo - 

so people that dont wanna watch C level action are bigots? Do you watch the WNBA?
1/3/13 8:20 PM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mushroom Slap - 
Argo - 

so people that dont wanna watch C level action are bigots? Do you watch the WNBA?

no but guys with no training experience who actually believe they can beat up the smaller fighters or any woman fighter are. thats why you call it C level action
1/3/13 8:25 PM
Malagant
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JkdSam - 

Vic Darchinyan is 5'5, 117 pounds. Ronda is a brute compared to him lol.

At first I was thinking wow, maybe she is pretty good. Then I saw his stats lol. Little boy
1/3/13 8:50 PM
Joe Lauzon
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twitter, Director of Awesome
Zuffa has all the strike force women... Those are going to be the 10. Not that big of a deal, is it? Not really breaking news. Phone Post
1/3/13 9:29 PM
The Nastyness

Joe Lauzon -  Zuffa has all the strike force women... Those are going to be the 10. Not that big of a deal, is it? Not really breaking news. Phone Post

Strikeforce only had 10 women under contract? I didn't know it was that few...I see Invicta losing some of their star power in the coming months.
1/3/13 9:30 PM
The Nastyness

JLau'sWarmnessSpewingAllOverMyFace - 
Mushroom Slap - 
Argo - 

You watch the NBA which has more sorry ass floppers than soccer and is controlled by the refs more than the players?! LOLs.

LOL at your name. But at the same time....ewwww
1/3/13 10:07 PM
stonepony

Have seen more body-slam KO's from women in the last couple years, than we've seen from Quinton since Pride. Their fights can be exciting.
1/3/13 10:12 PM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Nastyness - 
Joe Lauzon -  Zuffa has all the strike force women... Those are going to be the 10. Not that big of a deal, is it? Not really breaking news. Phone Post

Strikeforce only had 10 women under contract? I didn't know it was that few...I see Invicta losing some of their star power in the coming months.

Most of the Invicta 135 pounders were on loan from Strikeforce.  Zuffa/Forza let them fight for Invicta because they didn't have enough card space to keep them all busy.

1/3/13 11:41 PM
hogh20

For all you jerkoffs who think women don't belong in the UFC, I have yet to see a boring womens fight. They bring it, each and every time! And they will only become better fighters with time. There is no logical reason why women can't fight in the UFC. They are super entertaining and they are skilled fighters. More skilled than the men who started things out 19 years ago.
1/4/13 7:40 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bailx - regardless of whether gina can make that weight... UFC i'm sure will push hard to get her.

she's looked kind of fat in some of her movie roles (even though she is hot as hell)... i bet she could make that weight if she really got in great shape... not like she was ever really ripped in the past or anything...

then again... she doesn't pump a bunch of steroids into her veins either... will be interesting to see how cyborg does with this cut... mike dolce can make it happen if anyone can i guess.

Dude,

Gina is a thick girl. Have you seen the tits on her. She could never make 135 without it seiously impacting her fighting ability.

Neither can Cyborg. Its all good and well that they are paying Mike Dolce to help her but we are going to see a drawn out Cyborg barely able to compete if she does it.

Cannot take the UFC woman division serious yet because there is obvious a case of extreme bias in favor or Honda. It kind of sad to me. I think she is a cool girl with star power and a pretty great fighter but the UFC are going out of there way to serve up fighters to her.

Some girls are just not build to compete at 135. Thats the reason they came up with weight classes.

I think it is cool that the woman get the fight in the UFC as well. But i am getting a little tired of some dudes here bitching about the fact that woman MMA is so great. The divisions are not as deep, the level is not comparable to the men and on top of all these we have the UFC also playing clear and blatant favorites to just one fighter. Its an imperfect beast at best and an abomination waiting to happen at worse.

It can develop into something that resembles male MMA in terms of draw and interest but people who are so freaking uncritical about the whole thing because they cloud there judgement because of the whole equality/right issue are a little bit silly to me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.