UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Report: 10 female fighters under UFC contract

1/4/13 7:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pegson123
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i dont know about 10, a couple girls on the zuffa were cut along with the men on new year. 

1/4/13 7:57 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hogh20 - For all you jerkoffs who think women don't belong in the UFC, I have yet to see a boring womens fight. They bring it, each and every time! And they will only become better fighters with time. There is no logical reason why women can't fight in the UFC. They are super entertaining and they are skilled fighters. More skilled than the men who started things out 19 years ago.

You are absolutely right. But i hope you are not kidding yourself that it will become anywhere near as popular as male MMA. The fighting itself is slower,less athletic, and less ferocious. The difference between male and female fighters is simple a gap that is to big to bridge. The baddest female fighter on the planet who lose handle to most decent male fighters.

That does not take anything away from the technical proficiency,there warrior spirit or there propensity to entertain. But it does make it a somewhat inferior product according to most benchmarks.

If you then go about promotion a weaker kind of competition though blatant favoritism you are not making it easier for people to really take the competition serious.

They should have put Roussey against a better opponent instead of just feeding her an easier fight (on paper...sorry miss Carmouche not disrespect to your fighting abilities). They should have made the Cyborg vs Roussey fighter either on catchweight or should have made a higher weight division for heavier female fighters to compete in (Cyborg is never going to make 135 and still be able to compete and more then 50% of her natural ability) and they should have never clearly and blatantly stated that Roussey is their clear champion and really the only girl the people on top know about or care about. They did everything in their power to make this in  of a freakshow event (Ronda Roussey vs the world part one,two and three).

So while i am happy that the females getting there chance on the big stage i will hold off with my enthousiasm until i how the UFC will treat there female division. So far all the initial signs are not really positive in my eyes (putting Roussey on top of the card.....when she is fighting an fighter who is not even ranked top five for the title is just silly).

Happiness if fine but you (and a lot of other people) clearly need to be a little more critical about how they decided to shape this whole thing.

1/4/13 8:16 AM
Chromium
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are more than 10 SF women (there are like 14). The ones missing are obviously Cyborg (still in negotiations), and I would guess:
-Kerry Vera (was a gimmick signing and has been inactive for over 2 years due to injury; she's not awful or anything but she needs a couple wins on the indies for the UFC to even consider even with the boost she got from her brief SF stint)
-Hiroko Yamanaka (I doubt she can cut down to 135 and is coming off a loss to Germaine de Randamie; might still have a shot if she wins her Invicta fighter on Saturday and manages to convince Sean Shelby she can make the weight cut)
-and probably Germaine de Randamie (coming off an unimpressive win over Hiroko Yamanaka and has no other significant wins, is just not as marketable as the other women in the division; I could be wrong about this one though)
-also Sarah D'Alelio was cut around the time she lost to Shayna Baszler so I'm pretty sure she aint signed.

The signed women in addition to the 5 Meltzer named are probably Amanda Nunes, Alexis Davis, Cat Zingano, Julie Kedzie, and Julia Budd.

If the UFC wanted to expand on that without hurting Invicta (Marloes Coenen, Shayna Baszler, Leslie Smith, and Sarah D'Alelio being the top fighters they could get from there now, with maybe Jessamyn Duke after a few more fights), the pickings are kind of slim but they could still pick up Milana Dudieva, Rin Nakai (she's a bit of a gimmick but whatever), and maybe Kelly Kobold. Also maybe a few journeywomen to fill out the division like Kaitlyn Young and Tonya Evinger or whoever. Unfortunately if they're gonna commit to this division the way they've committed to Flyweights, I don't see them doing a fully viable roster.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.