UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Wing Chun and FMA...

1/3/13 11:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
amadeus
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Full disclosure... A number of years ago I trained in Wing Chun and while I found it to be one of the few TMA that I could see being effective in adaptions were made, I ultimately abondoned it due the the lack of power in the arm punches, limited mobility in the footwork, and dogmatic attachment to the centerline. I have very limited exposure to FMA.

So anyway... Last night I got into a conversation with someone who has studied both Wing Chun and FMA in the past. He professes that the unarmed blocking in Wing Chun and FMA are essentially the same and that in a unarmed vs knife or knife vs knife confrontation, if the Wing Chun practitioner were to adopt the more mobile footwork of FMA then defensively the 2 styles would largely be indistinguishable. For thoise with experince in both, how accuarte do you find this statement? If you agree of disagree, please explain why?
1/4/13 1:57 PM
jrrrrr
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did some ving tsun years ago under the leung ting lineage and some the JKD trapping doing, um, er...well, JKD.
Curently I am heavily involved in learning Kali under someone who trained under Gaje.
The two MA for close in work lean heavily on one listening(body sensitivity) skills. Kali has its tapping system. It develops from stick tapping,i.e. one hand with stick with the "live" hand tapping/checking the other opponents stick an live hand. the same goes to knife work nd of course unarmed. All trapping should also include stepping. The tapping/checking process is meant to protect your centerline and give you a better opportunity to attack or defend. Kali will give center and then use FOOTWORK to capture venter.
Wing chun always seemed to rely on attacking center with litening skill obtained via chi sao drills. WHile I remember some angling using bong sao as a defense if the pac sao didn't work, I don't rememberusing a lot of stepping.
1/8/13 11:13 AM
BostonRedBaron
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also have trained in leung tings wing tsun as well. I gave it up due to lack of realism and sparring. I went to an MMA gym where they offer Dog Brothers Classes and take private lessons in Pekiti (Kali) with one of GT Gaje's guro's.

The two styles are not the same. As jrrr pointed out, Kali likes to to more tapping and wing tsun likes to do more trapping. There is a difference.

As regards to footwork, Kali does more dynamic footwork because typically you have a weapon in your hand and have to move greater distances to avoid getting hit with a stick, whereas the chun doesn't usually move as much as its empty hand only. If they did more applications with the Bart Chum Do then the footwork would be closer, but of course, its too secret to teach :)

A great DVD to incorporate Kali footwork with more modern day fighting is the Kali Tudo DVD put out by the Dog Brothers. It really opened my eyes to what Kali footwork is capable of with regards to how people fight today. And its obviously well tested :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.