UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> When students fight outside the gym?

1/4/13 8:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aaronlapoi
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you do if you find out that one or more of your students is getting into too many physical altercations outside of the gym, maybe even hurting people. Do you talk with them about it, do you expel them, do you ignore/not worry about it? As an instructor/school owner, what do you do?
1/4/13 8:21 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It happens. You hope he doesn't get arrested and bring dishonor to the school. I'd suggest telling him that.

You can't really break his ego for him if he stops coming to class.

What kind of school? TMA, BJJ, WWWrasslin'?

1/4/13 8:32 AM
aaronlapoi
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WidespreadPanic - 

It happens. You hope he doesn't get arrested and bring dishonor to the school. I'd suggest telling him that.

You can't really break his ego for him if he stops coming to class.

What kind of school? TMA, BJJ, WWWrasslin'?

Just a general question so I guess it could refer to any style, but I teach BJJ.
1/7/13 7:18 AM
WidespreadPanic

OK, I would not expel them, then you lose any influence. I'd try to find the root cause. Maybe the kid (?) is being abused at home and is acting out?

I wouldn't try to harm them or teach them further that violence and punishment is the solution to problems.

I'd try to get them on my side and I on theirs and help them develop coping skills that don't lead to bullying.

HTH

1/7/13 7:27 AM
Larry Appleton

some of my students (Johnny, Dutch, Bobby) were attacked by an older asian man around Halloween Phone Post
1/7/13 8:22 AM
Big Pookie
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1st time - spar with black belt

2nd time - expel

1/7/13 8:26 AM
mikerobmma
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always depends on the circumstances IMO. Phone Post
1/7/13 8:33 AM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

1/7/13 8:36 AM
OhNo
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would be considered "too many physical altercations"? Most kids get in fights and when they are confident they are less likely to back down. Thats not a big deal in my opinion. Instigating the fights is a different story and would require a strict lecture, disipline, or possible an expulsion.

When you teach BJJ, your not just teaching techniques but a way of life. It may be the way your teaching that is allowing them to get in these physical altercations. No disrespect to you, I don't know you but if you not teaching a martial arts life and constantly promoting it then they won't respect their ability in inflicted serious damage to another person.
1/7/13 8:54 AM
Letibleu
1653 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/13 8:54 AM
What if this is the student? Once is all it takes. Wicked elbow.

Blue name please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xqwj5lmSzHU
1/7/13 9:27 AM
Lazer MMA

Honestly too many are being trained in the MA's that have no business there. No honor or respect. When I studied it was made clear to us that the art should be used in self defense alone and we were taught to be humble no matter what our skill level. It was preparation for life.

While it can be argued that there are "not bad students, only bad teachers", I'd say some kids do not belong period.
1/7/13 9:39 AM
emr7774
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OhNo - What would be considered "too many physical altercations"? Most kids get in fights and when they are confident they are less likely to back down. Thats not a big deal in my opinion. Instigating the fights is a different story and would require a strict lecture, disipline, or possible an expulsion.

When you teach BJJ, your not just teaching techniques but a way of life. It may be the way your teaching that is allowing them to get in these physical altercations. No disrespect to you, I don't know you but if you not teaching a martial arts life and constantly promoting it then they won't respect their ability in inflicted serious damage to another person.

Voted up! Well said. Fighting is such a small part of the martial arts lifestyle. 

1/7/13 10:43 AM
cheesesteak
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this has happened at my gym before. First time= heart to heart. Second time = GTFO...this is considering they started it.

Self defense situation is totally different as this is essentially the reason why we learn a martial art
1/7/13 4:45 PM
mike_rizzo

jean roqa will throw your ass the hell put immediately Phone Post
1/7/13 9:41 PM
patches

my teacher through out a whole pack of assholes and the guy that brought them...they were going out to bars and beating asses chanting " gracie....gracie"

i grew up in the same town as these assholes.....they are still doing the same crap most in their mid 30's and the clan leader in and out of jail
1/7/13 9:45 PM
shaqitup
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OhNo - What would be considered "too many physical altercations"? Most kids get in fights and when they are confident they are less likely to back down. Thats not a big deal in my opinion. Instigating the fights is a different story and would require a strict lecture, disipline, or possible an expulsion.

Well if the kids getting bullied then it's obviously not his fault.

But if somebody isn't getting bullied, and gets in a lot of fights, it's obviously at least partially their own fault.

I don't teach or anything so i don't have much input besides maybe talk to the kid.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.