UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Question for schools with multiple instructors

1/4/13 3:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TristanESP
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For schools with more than one instructor teaching different classes, do all the instructors teach the same curriculum/techniques at his or her class, or does each instructor teach a different set of techniques based on his or her game?

I'm referring to classes of the same skill level, not beginner vs. advanced, etc.
1/4/13 4:02 PM
aed333
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my school has no set curriculum. Instructors are free to teach whatever techniques they want. The owner/head instructor trusts us enough to teach at his school, so he trusts us enough to have the good judgement to teach appropriate techniques/curriculum.

Instructors will generally teach stuff out of their own games for the more advanced stuff, but everyone generally uses/teaches the same basics.
1/4/13 4:08 PM
TheBearStare
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is an issue at our school. ive been training over ten years so it doesnt affect me but it makes me feel bad for new people coming in. each of our instructors have a different agenda. one in particular, in my opinion, tends to not show material appropriate for beginners and i think it just makes it a huge barrier to entry for the new guys. the material also appears to be random. on that note though, the material he shows is otherwise excellent. I know on the occasions that i fill in i make it a point to show what i feel are the essentials. a lot of students will come up to me after class expressing gratitude for the material i present being more accessible. the other instructor will show more appropriate skill level material and has a curriculum he mostly adheres to.
1/5/13 10:16 AM
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

beginners is set,but the advanced will give a few different options depending who's teaching the class

1/5/13 4:57 PM
pancadinha
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I own a school with several black belt instructors. the fix is simple.

you have a position for the month. mount, side countrol, etc. each person teaches their thing, as long as it focuses on the position.
1/5/13 5:36 PM
pelekys
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our gym has a set curriculum. The two different coaches teach their flavor of the same material.
1/5/13 5:56 PM
matt murdock
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I teach most of our classes, but I let the other instructors teach what they please. It's easy though because I teach 6 days a week while our 4 other instructors only teach one class a week each.
1/5/13 6:23 PM
aaronlapoi
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was at a school for 11 years where multiple instructors taught whatever they wanted. I liked that format for the simple reason that people generally teach what they are good at or striving to get good at.
1/6/13 12:06 AM
mrgoodarmbar
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We gradually gotten more organized over time. At this point we have a set curriculum that's only as detailed as saying what positions to teach. It's up to the instructor to decide the specific techniques and details that they want.

I think it's a pretty good balance between structure and flexibility with the discretion of the instructor.
1/7/13 4:40 PM
jakeklipp
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we have multiple instructors.  we all teach from the same position week to week, but teach different stuff.  we just talk about class plans at the beginning of the week and try not to step on each others toes by repeating classes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.