UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Any help confirming Rickson brown belt?

1/4/13 4:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rob T
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A guy has popped up in the UK claiming to be a brown belt under Rickson. Said he trained with him in Torrance during the 90s.

Name is Antonio Estepanian.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
1/4/13 7:54 PM
markus
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well....i'll say not legit. when rickson was in torrance, he was teaching at the gracie academy. he left the academy in 95?!? and opened up his own school in L.A. on wilshire. Kron took over most of the teaching there like 5 years ago.

so if antonio was with rickson in torrance, he would have been at the Gracie Academy. If he left when rickson left, he would have gone to the wilshire academy in L.A.

and he would have know luis heredia (-sp)

i stayed at the academy....so i might be wrong. get more details.

1/4/13 8:24 PM
joe_mama
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing too that I have observed, is that someone of a Rickson Lineage(got their belt from someone who got their blackbelt from Rickson) throws out 'X belt under Rickson Gracie'.

No idea whatsover if that is the case here, but I've seen it.
1/4/13 8:36 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just ask Limao then, or Dentinho.
1/4/13 10:13 PM
checkuroil
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didn't move to Wiltshire right away. He was on Pico Phone Post
1/5/13 2:10 AM
JRockwell
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Estepanian" is an awesome last name regardless. Phone Post
1/5/13 9:38 AM
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

markus - well....i'll say not legit. when rickson was in torrance, he was teaching at the gracie academy. he left the academy in 95?!? and opened up his own school in L.A. on wilshire. Kron took over most of the teaching there like 5 years ago.

so if antonio was with rickson in torrance, he would have been at the Gracie Academy. If he left when rickson left, he would have gone to the wilshire academy in L.A.

i got a pic with jordan and royce taken in 94 and rickson wasnt around

1/5/13 9:52 AM
Sugarfoot
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our bb was around torrance at that time, I'll ask him if he's heard of him next time I see him Phone Post
1/5/13 10:55 AM
sitchpack
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sugarfoot -  Our bb was around torrance at that time, I'll ask him if he's heard of him next time I see him Phone Post

Awesome TTT for answers. The academy page of the club that Antonio trains at:http://www.guildfordmartialarts.com/brazilianjiujitsu.htm   and  http://www.guildfordmartialarts.com/ourinstructors.htm absolutely no clear information on his belt lineage or jiu jitsu history, nothing searchable on the internet at all for his BJJ or his 22-1 Muay Thai record either. Antonio is also teaches MMA at this gym, despite having no searchable MMA record or experience either.

1/5/13 12:17 PM
markus
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - 
markus - well....i'll say not legit. when rickson was in torrance, he was teaching at the gracie academy. he left the academy in 95?!? and opened up his own school in L.A. on wilshire. Kron took over most of the teaching there like 5 years ago.

i got a pic with jordan and royce taken in 94 and rickson wasnt around

sorry, i'm getting old....i suffer from CRS-cant remember s#$t-

1/5/13 12:23 PM
markus

He trained for 6 years with Royse and Ricshon Gracie in the US, obtaining his Brown Belt, fighting around 30 times, including at the Pan American games and at the US Open

so i copied this from his site.....i still say not legit.
1/5/13 12:33 PM
PayItForward
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he did not spell Royce as "Royse" and Rickson as "Ricshon", did he?!

i will call bs.
1/5/13 2:14 PM
Sugarfoot
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sitchpack -
Sugarfoot -  Our bb was around torrance at that time, I'll ask him if he's heard of him next time I see him Phone Post

Awesome TTT for answers. The academy page of the club that Antonio trains at:http://www.guildfordmartialarts.com/brazilianjiujitsu.htm   and  http://www.guildfordmartialarts.com/ourinstructors.htm absolutely no clear information on his belt lineage or jiu jitsu history, nothing searchable on the internet at all for his BJJ or his 22-1 Muay Thai record either. Antonio is also teaches MMA at this gym, despite having no searchable MMA record or experience either.

His response was "no don't know him", not sure that helps. Phone Post
1/5/13 2:46 PM
sitchpack

Sugarfoot - 
sitchpack -

His response was "no don't know him", not sure that helps. Phone Post

No worries mate, im sure this will be the response of many legitimate guys who trained in Torrence in the 90s.

1/5/13 2:56 PM
PayItForward
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'll tell you right now. if HE spelled those names that way, he is full of it or down right crazy.
1/5/13 3:14 PM
DavidLangsBlackBelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PayItForward - i'll tell you right now. if HE spelled those names that way, he is full of it or down right crazy.
This Phone Post
1/5/13 3:23 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He trained for 6 years with Royse and Ricshon Gracie in the US, obtaining his Brown Belt, fighting around 30 times, including at the Pan American games and at the US Open

whats with the spellings??
1/5/13 3:27 PM
sitchpack

Master Bater - He trained for 6 years with Royse and Ricshon Gracie in the US, obtaining his Brown Belt, fighting around 30 times, including at the Pan American games and at the US Open

whats with the spellings??

Considering how carefully all the other content on the website is proofread, combined with the fact that most people who hear the Gracie first names replace the 'r' with an 'h'; it is possible they are misspelled intentionally in case of being taken to court or using it to avoid breaking the Trading Standards rule of intentionally using misinformation for marketable gain in a U.K business.

1/5/13 4:55 PM
dojo stormer

Any pics of him actually training with those gracie guys?
1/5/13 4:59 PM
sitchpack

dojo stormer - Any pics of him actually training with those gracie guys?

Considering that theres no information on the internet whatsoever to confirm the claim, I think its fairly certain that there are no pics.

1/5/13 5:08 PM
Rob T
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome stuff, cheers guys!
1/5/13 5:19 PM
Rob T

I have now emailed the club again... I will post results of this here of course :)
1/5/13 5:25 PM
sitchpack

Rob T - I have now emailed the club again... I will post results of this here of course :)

Awesome :) Can you screenshot the original email where he makes the claim to be a Rickson brown belt? Ive started another thread in the UG to see if anyone who frequents there might know: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2112938&page=1

1/5/13 5:38 PM
Rob T

Here you go... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/bassrob/email_zpsce3f3c4f.png

The email is not from him but the academy owner where he teaches.
1/5/13 5:44 PM
sitchpack

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.