UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> If Rousey v carmouche doesn't sell?

1/4/13 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BLACKBUDDAH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whos fault is it? I think female mma fighters and female fans are to blame. This is your chance to push this fight and get women's mma out there. The last time women dropped the ball was the WNBA will history repeat itself? Phone Post
1/4/13 5:19 PM
ShaqNoob
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It shouldn't be a main event. Too soon for women to headline a UFC card. Zuffa's mistake. Phone Post
1/4/13 5:26 PM
CindyO

It'll sell when DW starts seriously promoting it:)

If it doesn't he'll stick with WMMA for a respectable period of time (12-18 months) in an effort to give it a fair shake. If it fails, he'll have no problem shutting it down, IMO. But he'll sell:)

Cindy

1/4/13 5:27 PM
yellow's Tap In
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doctor NPD - Don't you mean WHEN it doesn't sell?

This. I get it though, they wanted a clear indicator of if it was popular or not. No better way to do that then make it the headliner. I think it will crash and burn and we will never see a female headlined card again, thank god
1/4/13 5:29 PM
yellow's Tap In
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 

It'll sell when DW starts seriously promoting it:)

If it doesn't he'll stick with WMMA for a respectable period of time (12-18 months) in an effort to give it a fair shake. If it fails, he'll have no problem shutting it down, IMO. But he'll sell:)

Cindy

He can try, but the niche within a niche of female fighting isn't going to sell. If anyone can do it it's uncle Dana, but I think he got this one wrong. Love the ufc though, can't knock them for trying new things
1/4/13 5:30 PM
greco yeoman

Blame has a negative connotation that might not be appropriate here. Sometimes concepts fail because they're of a nature that inherently lacks mass appeal. Women's basketball will lack mass appeal no matter how hard you promote it. Women's MMA might be the same. Phone Post
1/4/13 5:33 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 01/04/13 5:34 PM

It would sell if the debut was Ronda vs Cyborg.  Zuffa dropped the ball on that one.

Female MMA is a viable product... it just needs to be sold and packaged properly.

1/4/13 5:33 PM
BeardedLesnar
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's the wrong fight to come out headlining IMO. They(both fighters) have already said they respect each other enough to let the trash talking not be a big problem. When Rousey is mouthing off and getting attention is when people tune in, not when she is quite and just gonna fight. If it were cyborg vs rousey then I could see it being a headliner. As of now it should have been a co-main event since its for a title Phone Post
1/4/13 6:09 PM
ClearwaterFLMMA
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fight will do at least as well if not better than Aldo's normal 200K or so buys. If she matches or beats 200K, they will continue to put her on the PPV's.
1/4/13 6:11 PM
shorebreaker420
1017 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

It would sell if the debut was Ronda vs Cyborg.  Zuffa dropped the ball on that one.

Female MMA is a viable product... it just needs to be sold and packaged properly.

Yap everybody wanted to see that one, gotta blame Tito also Phone Post
1/4/13 6:15 PM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's just too soon for women to be the main event of a PPV. Should have been a fox card or a ppv co-main. Many of the buys they do get will be because of Hendo and Machida rather than Roussey and Carmouche.

No disrespect intended, I'll still be buying.
1/4/13 7:00 PM
BLACKBUDDAH

I think Zuffa needs to think about a UFC primetime for Rousey v Carmouche I think that will add to the PPV numbers. Phone Post
1/4/13 7:35 PM
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Rousey-Kaufman worked for Strikeforce BECAUSE it was Strikeforce... Her fight w/ Kaufman was her fourth for the promotion, so it wasn't like she was just dropped into the mix "out of nowhere" (for lack of a better term). Also, I think in the big scheme of things, you're less likely to ruffle fan feathers giving the ladies top billing over Jacare/Brunson-Saffiedine/Bowling then you are over names like Henderson/Machida-Camouche Jr./Menjivar. I understand the logic behind the decision, but whoever said fans were logical?

In for the fights, AND the resulting numbers...

1/4/13 7:54 PM
Diaz_Brothers_Number_4_fan
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly never hear anything about it other than on the UG. Where is the trash talk and hype....like a Diaz brother my ass!!
1/4/13 7:55 PM
CheckinHose
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BLACKBUDDAH - Whos fault is it? I think female mma fighters and female fans are to blame. This is your chance to push this fight and get women's mma out there. The last time women dropped the ball was the WNBA will history repeat itself? Phone Post
Was your WNBA players dropping the ball analogy on purpose? Phone Post
1/4/13 7:55 PM
HandyDarsh
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doctor NPD - Don't you mean WHEN it doesn't sell?

1/4/13 7:57 PM
Pessimist_Pete

I'm buying it. Phone Post
1/4/13 8:08 PM
Bentleysuper8

Wrong opponent. But I'll go see it at a bar.
1/4/13 10:46 PM
Wildcard
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/04/13 10:49 PM
You need two known quantity opponents to make a title match interesting.

Anderson Silva is a great fighter, but I wouldn't buy a card with him vs Shannon Ritch t the top.

Ronda is a good fighter it seems, but due to the thin nature of women's MMA pool it is a bit hard to be certain so far _how good_. So far the answer is, better than the people she fought. She isn't a champion though in the UFC, and moreso there has been no women's division in the UFC. There has been on other shows but fractured again limiting ability over the years to really gauge how the 'top' female fighters match up.

Liz may be good or may not. Is she likely the #2 at that weight class? No. Is there any reason for an average fan to expect this to be a competitive match between the two top women in their division? No.

This certainly isn't a knock on Ronda who has at least shown impressive finishes in her fights. It is a knock on the scale of the depth of women's 135 weight class coming out of Strikeforce, and in general. Over time it'll improve, but Liz just not an impressively pedigreed opponent for Ronda for the first ever women's championship, main event fight in the UFC. It doesn't register as a particular fight that needs to happen due to rankings, nor as a fight that will have any ramifications for the division unless there is a freak upset, much like Anderson vs Ritch.

You can't have much interest for a main event based on only one fighter being seen as deserving to be there.
1/4/13 10:57 PM
Tonygayyo

There should be 2 title fights on this card so rousey isnt the main event. She shouldnt be headlining a card her first fight. They have done multiple title fights before and this was a perfect card to do it on.
1/5/13 2:19 AM
George Hill

How come there's all this about the match not drawing when the advance is ahead of where Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson was at the same point.

Does that mean Jones and Henderson also shouldn't main event because people didn't buy tickets two months out for it?
1/5/13 2:25 AM
TheFlood58

Should have put it on a Fox, FX, or Fuel to headline Phone Post
1/5/13 2:33 AM
Soup and Beer
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

Why do people keep saying that shit? Dana offered Cyborg the fight. She DECLINED THE FIGHT. Phone Post
1/5/13 2:38 AM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 01/05/13 2:38 AM

I think it may be that we fans and Dana are too close to the sport. IMO it is super-awesome that legit female fighters are able to do UFC.

It proves that MMA is a real SD art and females can even beat some untrained males their own weight. 

So we have a bit too much excitement and it over came people's good sense, perhaps.

I hope the card does sell b/c I like seeing females do sports. THey have to be highly technically skilled so it appeals to the fan who likes that approach.

$0.02

1/5/13 3:18 AM
armbarheelhook
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the whole idea is to make sure it does good #s and possibly gets more new fans (females mainly) involved, then it should have been a Co-Main event with another Title fight on the card.

If it was on the Gsp card then the UFC wouldn't have to worry about reaching their #s. Plus most of the women i know ALWAYS want to know when gsp fights because they like looking at him. lol

So, if the females fans had to be forced to watch the rousey fight before their gsp man crush fight, they might start getting more interested in female fighting/training in general.

The majority of fans out there who already follow female mma really are just sitting back and waiting for rousey v cyborg happen. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.